Office of the Registrar
General Information (2008/2009)
7.7 Student Health Service

The staff at Student Health Service are available to provide comprehensive health care and to assist students in taking responsibility for their own health. Primary functions of the Service are the diagnosis and treatment of illness, the activation and maintenance of wellness and the promotion of health education programs.

The Student Heath Service is located on the fourth floor of the Smallwood Centre, and is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (4:30 p.m. in summer) by appointment only, except for emergencies.

7.7.1 Medical Services

Services provided include:

  1. diagnosis and treatment of: physical illness, emotional problems, sexually transmitted diseases, injuries;

  2. individual counselling on various aspects of health and wellness: smoking, fitness, weight control, nutrition, alcohol and drug abuse;

  3. referral to: specialists, physiotherapists, hospital diagnostic services, other health care agencies;

  4. reproductive health: pap smears, contraception, pregnancy - testing, referral services;

  5. Injury rehabilitation programs;

  6. AIDS (HIV antibody) testing: confidential blood tests, pre-test counselling, post-test counselling;

  7. "Medicals" (non-insured service): pre-employment, pre-admission to professional schools, SCUBA diving, driver's license, TB skin test;

  8. Educational materials on health issues

  9. MCP information and application forms

  10. Vaccinations

7.7.2 Medical Records

All students' medical records are strictly confidential. No information is released without the request and written consent of the student.

7.7.3 New Students

Students are encouraged to bring a copy of their medical records to the Student Health Centre. This is especially important for students who:

  1. have chronic or recurrent illness, e.g. asthma, diabetes, inflammatory bowel disease, seizure disorders;

  2. require refills of prescription drugs;

  3. have a physical disability, e.g. cerebral palsy, spina bifida, visual or hearing impairment; or

  4. have a history of mental illness.

7.7.4 Payment

The University will bill the appropriate paying agency for the eligible medical services received at the Student Health Service.

7.7.5 Newfoundland and Labrador Students

MCP cards are required.

7.7.6 Students From Other Canadian Provinces

Students from other Canadian provinces are required to bring their provincial medicare cards.

7.7.7 International Students

International students are automatically enrolled in the mandatory emergency medical insurance plan. International students may opt in their dependents. A personal medical card will be issued by the International Student Advising Office and must be presented by the student each time medical or hospital services are required. The student must also sign a claim form for each medical or hospital service rendered.

MCP cards are required for International students that are MCP eligible and should be presented first in the event of medical care. Please contact the International Student Advising Office for further information.

7.7.8 Medicals

"Medicals" (pre-employment, SCUBA, driver's licence, life insurance, etc.) are not covered by insurance plans and must be paid for by the student.