12.20 Religious Studies
Normally, the Master of Arts program with thesis option should take two years to complete, the first of which is to be spent primarily on course work and preparation of a thesis proposal. A student accepted on a part-time basis would normally be expected to take three to five years to complete the program.
Students in the M.A. program with thesis option shall normally complete a thesis and a minimum of 12 credit hours in course work.
Students are encouraged to visit the Department of Religious Studies website for a list of possible research areas.
Before a student begins writing a thesis, the student should submit a research proposal to the Graduate Studies Committee of the Department for approval.
Students in the M.A. with thesis option must complete four required courses: RS 6100 Methods and Theories in Religious Studies; RS 6110 Thesis Writing; RS 6120 Studies in Religious Texts; and RS 6130 Religious Contexts.
Course-based M.A. with a Project Option
Normally, the Master of Arts program with a project option should take one year (three semesters) to complete, the first two semesters spent on course work and the third semester on completing the project.
Before a student begins writing a project, the student should submit a research proposal to the Graduate Studies Committee of the Department for approval.
Students in the M.A. with a project option must complete five required courses and at least one other course. This may be from a cognate discipline (upon approval of the supervisor). The five required courses are: RS 6100 Methods and Theories in Religious Studies; RS 6110 Thesis Writing; RS 6120 Studies in Religious Texts; RS 6130 Religious Contexts; and RS 699A/B Advanced Research in Religious Studies.
- 6100 Methods and Theories in Religious Studies (credit may not be obtained for both Religious Studies 6100 and the former Religious Studies 6000)
- 6110 Thesis Writing
- 6120 Studies in Religious Texts
- 6130 Religious Contexts
- 6220 Selected Topics in New Testament
- 6230 Selected Topics in Hebrew Bible/Old Testament
- 6330 Selected Topics in Judaism
- 6340 Selected Topics in East Asian Religious Traditions
- 6350 Selected Topics in South Asian Religious Traditions
- 6720 Selected Topics in the History of Christianity
- 6730 Selected Topics in the Religious History of Canada
- 6740 Selected Topics in the Religious History of Newfoundland and Labrador
- 6750 Selected Topics in Medieval Religious Thought
- 6820 Selected Topics in Christian Ethics
- 6830 Selected Topics in Religion and Culture
- 6840 Selected Topics in the Philosophy of Religion
- 6850 Selected Topics in New Age Religious Movements
- 6900-6910 Special Topics in the Study of Religion
- 699A/B Advanced Research in Religious Studies (9 credit hours)