Tuition Fees and Tuition Refund Guidelines
Undergraduate Medical Education – Faculty of Medicine
* Memorial University`s Department of Financial and Administrative Services is the official source for information regarding tuition fees and tuition refunds. Should there be any discrepancies between these guidelines or information relayed by other sources and information provided by the Department of Financial and Administrative Services, the latter supersedes these guidelines and all other sources.
Tuition fees, registration fees and student union fees are due on the first day of classes. This includes the fees for the upcoming academic year and any outstanding fees. A listing of all financial regulations and fees as well as methods of payment is available from Financial and Administrative Services. The amount due is available under the financial menu in Memorial Self-Service. You can also use this menu to pay your fees.
Learners who, without approval, pay their fees later than the deadlines specified in the University Diary will be assessed a late payment fee. Learners who have not paid all fees or arranged for fee payment with the Director of Financial and Administrative Services prior to the first day of lectures, as stated in the University Diary, may have their registration cancelled at the discretion of the University. Such learners will then be required to reregister after all fees are paid and after the first day of lectures, as stated in the University Diary, but no later than the end of the regular registration period.
An undergraduate medical learner who wishes to withdraw from a Phase of the M.D. Program must make a written request for withdrawal to the Dean of Medicine. Tuition refunds are based on withdrawal from a Phase. Undergraduate Medical Learners withdrawing will receive a tuition refund in accordance with the deadlines for tuition refund for Medical Learners, as indicated in the University Diary.
Appeal of Fees
Appeal of Fees and Charges Regulations apply to Undergraduate Learners only. It is intended to recognize and be sensitive to learners who experience devastating, unforeseen and/or catastrophic events during the Phase and therefore withdraw from a Phase. Undergraduate Medical Learners are permitted to appeal for refund of tuition associated with a dropped Phase only, not for refund of incidental fees including, but not limited to, medical/dental coverage, MUNSU fees, recreation fees, etc.
Learners' Responsibilities in the Tuition Refund Appeals Process
It is incumbent upon learners to:
- be aware of and adhere to all financial regulations, requirements and published deadlines, especially the refund schedule published in the University Diary;
- familiarize themselves with published tuition refund appeals procedures;
- submit tuition refund appeals and all supporting documentation no later than one month after the Dean's approval of the Undergraduate Medical Learner's request to withdraw from a Phase; and
- provide appropriate authenticating materials.
The University's Responsibilities in the Tuition Refund Appeals Process
It is incumbent upon the University to:
- make available to learners advice and guidance regarding options, deadlines, required documentation, and tuition refund appeal route by way of written notification, the University website, personal appointment or other forms of communication;
- direct learner to the appropriate office for information on tuition refund appeals;
- attend to tuition refund appeals efficiently and ensure parties receive fair, consistent and ethical treatment;
- supply learners with reasons for decisions to deny a tuition refund appeal; and
- maintain parties’ right to confidentiality.
- A tuition refund appeal must be filed no later than one month after the Dean's approval of the Undergraduate Medical Learner's request to withdraw from a Phase.
- Any tuition refund appeal should be made in writing, by the learner, clearly stating the basis for the appeal and should be directed to the Committee Coordinator by email to email@example.com or by mail to:
Tuition Refund Appeals Committee
c/o The Cashier’s Office
Memorial University of Newfoundland
St. John’s, NL A1C 5S7
- Successfully dropping a course or withdrawing from a Phase academically does not guarantee that a tuition refund appeal will be successful. Academic difficulty in a course or Phase and/or missing a published refund deadline is not sufficient grounds for an appeal.
- For assistance in the tuition refund appeals process, learners are advised to consult with the Committee Coordinator.
- In preparing an appeal a learner may consult advisors or facilitators. Such advisors or facilitators may include a faculty advisor, staff advisor, a counselor, a representative from the Memorial University of Newfoundland Students Union (MUNSU) or other individual who is willing to undertake the role of learner advisor or facilitator.
- The Tuition Refund Appeals Committee may decide to deny or uphold an appeal. If it upholds an appeal, the Committee may prorate the tuition refund depending upon the learner's length of participation in the Phase and other factors.
- The decision of the Tuition Refund Appeals Committee is final.
Appeal of Fees and Charges Regulations
Faculty of Medicine Key Dates & Holidays
Faculty of Medicine Withdrawal & Return to Duty guide
General Information and Procedures for Tuition Refund Appeals
Tuition and Related Fees
University Diary for the Academic Year 2021-2022
University Diary for the Academic Year 2022-2021