Learner Travel Guidelines
Depending on available funding, the Office Learner Well-Being and Success may provide undergraduate medical learners with full or partial financial support to attend relevant conferences that promote the objectives of the Faculty of Medicine.
For more information regarding Undergraduate Medical Learner Conference Travel Funding Guidelines and the application process, contact the firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learner Travel - Each year funding is provided through the Learner Well-Being and Success Office budget to fully or partially fund learner travel, deemed by learners and our office, to promote the objectives of the Medical School and the Office of LWS. The following areas will be given priority:
FULL FUNDING OPPORTUNITIES
Canadian Federation of Medical Students (CFMS) Conferences
- Full funding is provided to the Medical Students’ Society (MSS) President (or delegate) and one (1) MSS Representative (as decided by the MSS president and the Associate Dean, Office of LWS) to attend the CFMS Annual General Meeting and the CFMS Spring General Meeting.
- The same MSS Representative cannot attend both conferences.
- Full funding is provided to the Global Health Liaison (or delegate) and the Government Affairs and Advocacy Representative (or delegate) to attend CFMS Lobby Day.
National Student Research Forum
Full funding is available to the learner who places first in the Faculty of Medicine Medical Students’ Research Forum to attend the National Student Research Forum.
PARTIAL FUNDING OPPORTUNITIES
Medical learners who are presenting at a conference (poster/oral presentation) may have the opportunity to apply for partial funding, if funding is available.
- Applying for partial funding does not guarantee approval.
- Confirmation of presentation may be required.
- The maximum amount of funding a learner can receive by Learner Well-Being and Success is $500.
- Learners are encouraged to seek funding from other available sources (e.g. individual clinical disciplines, research funding agencies, other university funding).
- The number of learners that can receive partial funding within an academic year, and the amount received per learner, is at the discretion of the Office of Learner Well-Being and Success.
- For more information regarding partial funding opportunities and the application process, contact the Office of Learner Well-Being and Success (email@example.com; 709-864 6360).
Terms and Conditions of Learner Travel
- Learners should check with the Office of Learner Well-Being and Success to ensure that funding is available. If funding is available, the learner must also receive an approved leave form from the Undergraduate Medical Education (UGME) Office and provide this approval to the Office of Learner Well-Being and Success to receive final approval for the funding.
- Expenses must be claimed as per university guidelines. Attention to optimizing travel time and minimizing all expenses is expected.
- Most economical transportation to and from the conference is required. All air travel on scheduled flights should be made at the lowest obtainable cost.
- 3.3 Conference registration fees are to be purchased at the early bird rate. If the applicant does not purchase at the early bird rate, only the early bird rate will be reimbursed.
- As per the university Travel Policy, the type, standard, and cost of accommodation should not be in excess of the minimum rate for a single room in a commercial establishment of reasonable class. Approval will not be given for accommodation at obviously high rates except when a satisfactory explanation is provided. The CAUBO Canadian "University" Hotel Rate Program provides hotel reservation telephone numbers and rates that should be used wherever possible. Employees should also request government rates. In any case, the lowest possible rate should be obtained and copy of quotes for travel and hotel should be attached to the request.
- A per diem allowance will be provided to learners for the travel day(s) and for any meals not included in the conference registration. Allowance amounts are outlined in the Schedule of Reimbursable Expenses.
- Deviations will only be accepted in extenuating circumstances. The Office of Learner Well-Being and Success, in conjunction with the Finance Office, will prepare a request to be presented to the Dean of Medicine.
Procedure - Approved Conference Travel
- Include a copy of the Travel checklist - REQUIRED
- The learner will check with the Office of Learner Well-Being and Success to ensure funding is available, if funding is available the learner must submit a leave request to the
UGME office and then present the approved leave to the Office of Learner Well-Being and Success for final approval of funding.
- Once the funding and leave have been approved, the learner submits a Travel Request Form to the Finance Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) at least four (4) weeks prior to
the travel date.
- Upon completion of travel, a Travel Claim Form has to be submitted to the Office of Learner Well-Being and Success within seven (7) days so that it may be reviewed, approved and forwarded to the finance office to meet the university policy of travel claims being submitted for payment within ten (10) days of travel. An electronic copy of this form can be found here: Travel Expense Claim.