Health Insurance

Click here for a short article on Disability Insurance, from Anders Jensen, Learner Success Consultant.

Ontario Medical Association (OMA) Insurance
Newfoundland and Labrador Medical Association (NLMA) members have been eligible to apply for coverage under the group insurance plans of the Ontario Medical Association (OMA) since 1980.  Learner members are eligible for the life, extended health care and dental insurance plans. A special learner disability benefit is also available.

MUN Students' Union Health and Dental Plans
The MUN Students' Union (MUNSU) operates a number of services to meet the unique needs of members and to help members save money. One of the services they offer is the MUN Students' Union Health and Dental plans. All full-time undergraduate students are enrolled in these plans when they register. Fees for the health and dental plans are collected by the University in the fall and winter semester. Because the plans operate on a 12-month basis, students attending Memorial full-time in both the fall and winter semesters are covered until the following August.

Each student covered under the health plan will receive a pay-direct drug card. These cards ensure that students receive benefits when prescriptions are purchased and therefore are not required to submit claims forms. Students should retain this card for as long as they are undergraduate students and remain enrolled in the health plan. Drug cards for those students who do not return to MUN the following academic year will be deactivated on August 31 of that year.

Students already covered under an extended health plan (i.e. a plan other than a provincial health care plan) or dental plan may choose to opt out of the Students' Union plans to receive a refund of health and dental fees. As the Union's plans include benefits specifically designed for students' needs, retaining the coverage will increase total coverage and further reduce health care costs.

Learn about the details of the plans as well as how to opt-out or into the plans by visiting the MUNSU website. A plan booklet and other relevant information can be found in the Health and Dental Section which is listed under the Students’ Union Services on the MUNSU website. If you would prefer, you can drop by or phone the MUNSU Office. They are located on the 2nd floor of the University Centre and their phone number is 709 864 7633.

International Learners
All international learners in attendance at Memorial are required to have our health insurance plan unless they meet eligibility requirements to opt out. When you arrive in St. John's, you must visit the International Students Advising (ISA) Office for information about your insurance. They are located in Corte Real, Room 1000A, Burton's Pond Apartments. Their office hours are: Monday – Friday, 9:00 am to 1:00 pm and 2:00 p.m. to 4:45 p.m. You can also visit the ISA Health Insurance website for more information about the health insurance options for international learners.