Peter DaleyAssociate Professor of Medicine (Infectious Diseases) MD, MSc, Dalhousie, FRCPC DTM+H
Medicine Infectious Diseases
Room 1J421 Health Sciences Center 300 Prince Phillip Dr. St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada A1B 3V6
Room 1J421 Health Sciences Center 300 Prince Phillip Dr. St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada A1B 3V6
Peter Daley is an academic infectious diseases physician and medical microbiologist.
His Internal Medicine residency was completed at Queen's University and Infectious Diseases fellowship training at the University of Calgary. He completed a Diploma in Tropical Medicine and Hygiene at the Gorgas Memorial Institute in Lima, Peru. He went on to Medical Microbiology fellowship training at McMaster University, where he completed a research fellowship in molecular mycobacteriology.
He lived and worked for three years at the Infectious Diseases Training and Research Center at the Christian Medical College Vellore, in Tamil Nadu, India. He completed his Masters in Clinical Epidemiology at Memorial University based on randomized controlled clinical trial of vitamin D for active tuberculosis treatment in India.
Peter is associate professor of Medicine and Laboratory Medicine at Memorial University in St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada, where he is active at the Royal College of Physicians Canada, the Public Health Agency of Canada, and at provincial, and regional levels in antimicrobial stewardship. He is associate editor of BMC Infectious Disease, and the Journal of the Association of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases Canada and serves as grant reviewer for the National Institutes of Health and Canadian Institutes of Health Research. He sits on the Association of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases Canada Clinical Research Network Steering Committee.
Current research interests include clinical trials of treatment for bacterial infections and COVID-19, antimicrobial stewardship surveillance and interventions, the human microbiome, Hepatitis C virus elimination, one health, antimicrobial resistance, diagnostic testing for bacterial infections. He is accepting selected Masters in Clinical Epidemiology students and resident research projects.
Peter teaches infectious diseases and medical microbiology to undergraduates, residents and physicians, and diagnostic epidemiology to graduate students.
2015 Memorial University Dean of Medicine Excellence Award Junior Faculty (Clinical)
- The Epidemiology of Delayed HIV Diagnosis in Ibadan, Nigeria. Michael Oluwalana, Peter Daley, Zhiwei Gao, Olutosin Awolude International Journal of STD & AIDS 2022 (peer review)
- Remdesivir for the treatment of hospitalized patients in Canada with COVID-19: A Randomized Trial. Srinivas Murthy, Karim Ali, Tanweer Azher; Yiorgos Cavayas, Nicholas Chagnon, Matthew Cheng, Ève Cloutier; John Conly, Cecilia Costiniuk, Peter Daley, James Douglas, Catarina Downey, Erick Duan, Erick, Emmanuelle Duceppe, Madeleine Durand; Shane English, George Farjou, Evradiki Fera, Patricia Fontela, Robert Fowler, Michael Fralick, Anna Geagea, Jennifer Grant, Luke Harrison, Thomas Havey, Lauren Kelly, Yoav Keynan, Kosar Khwaja, Marina Klein, Christophe Kolan, Nadine Kronfli, Francois Lamontagne, Michael Lau, Todd Lee, Nelson Lee, Rachel Lim, Sarah Longo, Alexandra Lostun, Erika MacIntyre, Isabelle Malhamé, Kathryn Mangoff, Francois Martin Carrier, Francois Martin; Michaeline McGuinty, Sonya Mergler, Matthew Munan, Conar O'Neil, Daniel Ovakim, Jesse Papenburg, Ken Kuljit Parhar, SeemaNair Parvathy, Chandni Patel, Santiago Perez-Patrigeon, Ruxandra Pinto, Subitha Rajakumaran, Asgar Rishu, Malaika Roba-Oshin, Moira Rushton, Mariam Saleem, Marina Salvadori, Kim Scherr, Kevin Schwartz, Makeda Semret, Michael Silverman, Ameeta Singh, Wendy Sligl, Stephanie Smith, Ranjani Somayaji, Darrell Tan, Siobhan Tobin, Meaghan Todd, Tuong-Vi Tran, Alain Tremblay, Jennifer Tsang, Alexis Turgeon, Erik Vakil, Jason Weatherald, Cedric Yansouni, Ryan Zarychanski. Canadian Medical Association Journal February 22, 2022 194 (7) E242-E251; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.211698
- Two cases of tularemia in hunters from rural Newfoundland. Andrew P Sullivan, Catherine Nicholson, David J Bradbury-Squires, Amy King, Peter Daley. Journal of the Association of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases Canada 2022 https://doi.org/10.3138/jammi-2020-0015
- Streptococcus agalactiae Infective Endocarditis in Canada; a Multicenter Retrospective Nested Case Control Analysis. Torrance Oravec, SA Oravec, Jennifer Leigh, Liam Matthews, Bahareh Ghadaki, Dominik Mertz, Peter Daley, Anjali Shroff. BMC Infectious Diseases 2022, 22:18 https://doi.org/10.1186/s12879-021-06997-6
- The 2018 Global Point Prevalence Survey of Antimicrobial Consumption and Resistance in 47 Canadian Hospitals: a cross-sectional survey. Greg J. German, Charles Frenette, Jean-Alexandre Caissy, Jennifer Grant, Marie-Astrid Lefebvre, Dominik Mertz, Jennifer Boswell, Sarah Lutes, Allison McGeer, Jacqueline Roberts, Kevin Afra, Louis Valiquette, Yannick Émond, Marie Carrier, Anaïs Lauzon-Laurin, Trong Nguyen, Hamed Al-Bachari, Justin Kosar, Shaqil Peermohamed, Michelle Science, Daniel Landry, Timothy MacLaggan, Peter Daley, Gerry McDonald, Anita Ang, Sandra Chang, Yu-Chen Lin, Brandon Tong, Suzanne Malfair, Victor Leung, Kevin Katz, Ines Pauwels, Herman Goossens, Ann Versporten, John Conly, Daniel J. G. Thirion. Canadian Medical Association Journal Open 2021 (accepted)
- Impact of a Mobile Decision Support Tool on Antimicrobial Stewardship Indicators in St. John’s, Canada. Daniel Doyle, Gerald McDonald, Claire Pratt, Zahra Rehan, Tammy Benteau, Jennifer Phillips, Peter Daley. Public Library of Science One 2021;16(6): e0252407. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0252407
- Appropriateness of Antibiotic Use in Community Hospitals in Rural Newfoundland. Evan Wheeler, Gerry McDonald, Peter Daley. Journal of the Association of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases Canada 2021 6.2, 2021 doi:10.3138/jammi-2020-0041
- Modified Reporting of Positive Urine Cultures to Reduce Inappropriate Antibiotic Treatment of Catheter-Associated Asymptomatic Bacteriuria (CA-ASB) Among Inpatients, a Randomized Controlled Trial. Claire Pratt, Zahra Rehan, Lydia Xing, Laura Gilbert, Brenda Fillier, Brendan Barrett, Peter Daley. Infection Control & Hospital Epidemiology 2021, 42, 1221–1227. doi:10.1017/ice.2020.1397
- Two cases of tularemia in hunters from rural Newfoundland. Andrew P Sullivan, Catherine Nicholson, David J Bradbury-Squires, Amy King, Peter Daley. Journal of the Association of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases Canada 2021 (accepted)
- Penicillin for Streptococcal pharyngitis: Is it time for a new paradigm in Canada? (Editorial) Peter Daley. Journal of the Association of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases Canada 2019; DOI:10.3138/jammi.2019.07.24
- Clinical Impact of Cerebrospinal Fluid Gram Stain and Culture Testing, a Retrospective Cohort Study. Joanna Joyce, David Garcia, Peter Daley. Journal of the Association of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases Canada 2019; DOI: 10.3138/jammi.2018-0044
- Adjunctive vitamin D supplementation in tuberculosis treatment: systematic review and meta-analysis of individual participant data. David A Jolliffe, Davaasambuu Ganmaa, Christian Wejse, Rubhana Raqib, Md. Ahsanul Haq, Nawal Salahuddin, Peter Daley, Anna P Ralph, Thomas R Ziegler, Adrian R Martineau. European Respiratory Journal 2019; doi:10.1183/13993003.02003-2018
- Timeliness of Diagnosis of HIV in Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada: A Mixed-methods Study. Sarah Boyd, Jill Allison, Carla Penney, Kim Burt, David Allison, Peter Daley.Journal of the Association of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases Canada 2019; 4,1. doi:10.3138/jammi.2018-0029
- Antimicrobial Utilization and Suitability in Long-term Care Facilities: A Retrospective Cross-sectional Study. Carla Penney, Sarah Boyd, Amanda Mansfield, Janice Dalton, Judy O'Keefe, Peter Daley. Journal of the Association of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases Canada 2018; doi:10.3138/jammi.2018-0021
- Choosing Wisely Canada – Top Five List in Medical Microbiology: An Official Position Statement of the Association of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (AMMI) Canada. Jerome A. Leis, Todd Hatchette, William Ciccotelli, Peter Daley, Lee Goneau, Dan Gregson, Shobhana Kulkarni, Vivian Loo, Phillipe Lagace-Wiens, Christopher F. Lowe, Larissa Matukas, Diane Roscoe, Earl Rubin, Wayne L. Gold. Journal of the Association of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases Canada 3.2, 2018 doi:10.3138/jammi.2018.02.08
- Comparison of Clinical Performance of Commercial Urine Growth Stabilization Products. Peter Daley, Yuvraj Gill, William Midodzi. Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease 2018 doi:10.1016/j.diagmicrobio.2018.05.023
- Restricted Reporting of Urine Cultures to Reduce Inappropriate Treatment of Asymptomatic Bacteriuria: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Peter Daley, David Alfonso Garcia, Raheel Inayatullah, Carla Penney, Sarah Elizabeth Boyd. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2018;39:814–819
- Risk of bias, limits of applicability and reporting of diagnostic studies for commercial point-of-care tests of respiratory pathogens. J Mariah Hughes, Carla Penney, Sarah Boyd, Peter Daley. Epidemiology and Infection 2018, 1-10. doi:10.1017/S0950268818000596
- Blinded comparison of performance and cost effectiveness of chromogenic and direct latex methods for detection of Group B Streptococcus, with PCR as a reference standard. Carla Penney, Jurgienne Umali, Robert Needle, Padman Jayaratne, Frances Janes, Edong Tah, Peter Daley. Journal of the Association of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases Canada 2.2, 2017 doi:10.3138/jammi.2.2.02
- Surotomycin versus vancomycin in adults with Clostridium difficile infection: primary clinical outcomes from the second pivotal, randomised, double-blind, Phase 3 trial. Peter Daley, T. Louie, JE. Lutz, S. Khanna, U. Stoutenburgh, M. Jin, A. Adedoyin, L. Chesnel, D. Guris, KB. Larson, Y. Murata. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy Sept 6, 2017, doi:10.1093/jac/dkx299