Replacement Parchment

While it is not possible to issue a duplicate of one’s original graduation parchment, upon receipt of the following, the university will issue a replacement parchment with the signatures of the current officers of the university:

The following documentation is required:

  1. a signed request (original letter must be submitted in person or by mail to Judy Jewison, Office of the Registrar, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John's, NL, A1C 5S7) from the student, outlining the rationale for the request in accordance with item #2 below, and including detailed graduation information (i.e. student number, degree and date awarded) as well as contact information (i.e. telephone number, mailing address, email).

  2. either a statutory declaration (original), sworn before a Notary*, setting forth the evidence for loss of the original parchment OR the original graduation parchment, in the case of it being damaged or change of name.

Note the following:

  • there is no fee for this service.
  • "Issued to Replace Original" will appear in fine print in the bottom margin of the replacement parchment (along with the date of issuance).
  • upon submission of above documentation, you should allow possibly 1-2 weeks for processing during peaks busy times.
  • you may request to have the replacement parchment mailed or arrange to have someone else pick it up, by submitting written authorization to do so. If you would like your replacement parchment released to a third party, you must either a) indicate a consent to release in your letter of request, b) send us authorization via fax (709.864.2337) or c) send an e-mail from your @mun account, to The person so authorized must show an appropriate photo ID before your replacement parchment can be released.

*The official request for a replacement parchment must be signed before a Notary Public or Commissioner of Oaths and have their official stamp/seal to indicate authenticity.



Office of the Registrar

230 Elizabeth Ave, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1B 3X9

Postal Address: P.O. Box 4200, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1C 5S7

Tel: (709) 864-8000