Withdrawing from the University

If you drop all of your courses in any semester you will be considered to have withdrawn from the University for that semester.

Withdrawing before the last day to drop

You can cancel all registrations in a given semester through Memorial Self-Service. If you are unable to cancel your registrations through Memorial Self-Service, you will need to complete the Cancellation of Registration form.

Withdrawing after the last day to drop

You can withdraw from the University, using a Cancellation of Registration form, if the following is true:

  • You are prevented from completing the requirements of a course due to extenuating circumstances and;
  • It is after the last day to drop courses without academic prejudice (for the course(s) in question) and;
  • It is before the last day to add courses in the following semester.

Students wishing to drop courses should pay close attention to the regulations regarding academic prejudice.

You will be required to submit, to the Registrar's Office, a Cancellation of Registration form with the required signatures from the head of your academic unit. If you are not declared in a program, you should acquire the signature of the Senior Faculty Advisor for either the Faculty of Science or the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences.

Withdrawing through an appeal

Once the last day to add courses in the following semester has passed you can only withdraw from the University through an appeal.

For more information on withdrawing through an appeal:

It is important to know that if you withdraw from the University for more than three semesters you will be required to apply for readmission through Memorial Self-Service when you are ready to resume your studies.

If you withdraw from the university for medical reasons, you may not be permitted to re-enter unless you provide medical evidence, satisfactory to the Student Wellness and Counselling Centre, of fitness to resume your studies.