Declare your program
All students should ensure their program, major and minor (if applicable) is declared before completion of 60 credit hours.
Beginning September 2021, if you have 60 or more credit hours towards your first undergraduate degree and are not declared in a program, a new registration hold will be placed until you gain admission to a degree program or meet with an academic advisor to discuss a plan. If you have questions, contact the Academic Advising Centre to discuss your options.
If you already know the program you intend to study, officially declaring has many benefits, including:
- Be automatically considered for any program-specific scholarships, bursaries or awards;
- Be considered for your academic unit dean's list each year.
- Register easily for courses reserved or restricted for students declared in that program/major/minor.
- Be included in emails and communications from your academic unit about news, events and work opportunities.
- Connect with other students studying the same subject to share ideas, information, and advice and get involved with your student society.
The sooner you declare your program, the sooner you will be in the loop for all things connected to your area of study.
Declaring your program at time of admission
While general admission does not require you to select a program on your admission application, it is advisable to do so if your program of interest permits this. If admitted, you can change your selection before the start of registration or during your first year (subject to some conditions).
Admission directly from high school, or at any point during your attendance at Memorial, is available in the following academic units: Business, Engineering, Human Kinetics and Recreation, Humanities and Social Sciences, Music, Nursing, Science and to programs at the Grenfell Campus.
Make sure you are aware of deadlines and semesters of intake for competitive-entry programs. If you have questions, speak with an advisor in the academic unit you are considering.
Humanities and Social Sciences
- There are some majors/minors which require signatures on the Declare/Change Academic Program - Humanities/Social Sciences and Science or have a competitive application process.
- Declare Certificate - Humanities and Social Sciences
- Declare Diploma - Humanities and Social Sciences
- Email email@example.com to make your choice official.
- Current students should email firstname.lastname@example.org to declare the business minor.
Other business programs
- Other programs available through the faculty have competitive entry and require a supplementary application. To speak with someone about the business programs, contact email@example.com.
- All degrees have a competitive admission process. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to speak with an advisor.
- Signature of the department head is required on the Declare/Change Academic Program - Humanities/Social Sciences and Science.
- The signature of the department head is usually required on the Declare/Change Academic Program - Humanities/Social Sciences and Science form. Speak with an advisor in the academic unit you are considering.
- The following majors require a separate application:
Education, Medicine, Pharmacy and Social Work
- These programs require you to complete a prescribed program of university-level studies or equivalent to be eligible. Find more details on these programs:
- If you are planning to apply to a competitive-entry program, check the application deadlines to make sure your application and supporting documents are submitted on time.