Advice for Students Beyond First Year
ADVICE for students beyond first year is a bi-monthly newsletter from the Academic Advising Centre (AAC) to provide current academic information and resources.
To stay up to date with important academic information, you can also...
Registration for Winter 2019
If you are unsure about your course selection for this term, make an appointment or drop by the AAC, SN-4053, to speak with an Academic Advisor as soon as possible. The University Calendar contains the requirements and regulations for all programs and academic advisors can help you navigate it.
Students have the first two weeks of classes to finalize their courses for the term. The last day to add a course or drop a course with 100% tuition fee refund is Thursday, January 17th.
Program Application Deadlines
If you are planning to apply to a competitive entry degree program, check the application deadlines to make sure yours is submitted before that date. Upcoming deadlines include:
- January 15 - Education, Music
- February 1 - Engineering One (Spring Intake), Pharmacy
- March 1 - Business, Engineering, HKR, Nursing, Social Work
If you have any questions before declaring or applying to your intended program about the program itself or course selection, you can set up an appointment with an Academic Advisor or drop by the Academic Advising Centre, SN-4053.
All students are welcome to attend the academic information sessions below. Each session will be an opportunity to discuss admission requirements, program regulations and potential changes to programs. Information sessions will be held in the Science Building, SN-4068 at 1:00-1:50 unless otherwise stated.
- Jan. 8 - Education
- Jan. 16 - Pharmacy
- Jan. 23 - Engineering (in EN-1000)
- Jan. 23 - Social Work
- Jan. 30 - Humanities and Social Sciences
- Feb. 6 - Nursing
- Feb. 13 - Business (in A-2065 at 12:00-12:50)
- Feb. 27 - Human Kinetics and Recreation
- Mar. 6 - Science
Important Dates for Winter 2019
The University Diary lists all relevant dates for the academic year. Below is a list of some important dates for this term.
- Thursday, Jan. 3 - Lectures begin.
- Thursday, Jan. 17 - Last day to add a course or drop a course with 100% tuition refund
- Thursday, Jan. 24 - Last day to drop a coures with 50% tuition refund
- Thursday, Jan. 31 - Last day to drop a course with 25% tuition refund
- Monday - Friday, Feb. 18-22 - Winter Break
- Monday, Feb. 25 - Lectures resume
- Thursday, Feb. 28 - Last day to drop a course without academic prejudice
- Monday, Mar. 25 - Registration begins for Spring 2019
- Friday, Apr. 5 - Last day of classes.
- Wednesday, Apr. 10 - Exams begin.
- Friday, Apr. 19 - Good Friday holiday. No exams.
- Saturday, Apr. 20 - Exams end.
- Thursday, Apr. 25 - Grades released via Self Service at 5:00pm.
At the end of each semester, in order to be eligible for continuance in the University, a student is required either:
- to obtain a current average of 50% in the courses for which he or she is registered on the last day for dropping courses without academic prejudice, or
- to have obtained a cumulative average of at least 55%.
Any student who, for the first time, fails to meet the requirements outlined above will be given an academic warning.
If this has happened to you with your Fall 2018 results, please speak with an academic advisor to plan your next steps and make wise decisions about this Winter 2019 term.
The continuance regulations can be viewed in the University Calendar. It is important to note that individual programs may have additional regulations for admission and promotion.
Counselling Centre Supports
The Counselling Centre has a variety of supports for students including group workshops, online resources, as well as drop-in and personal counselling services. As a current registered student, you can utilize these supports throughout the semester. In the past, students have also worked on reading and study skills, time management, oral presentations, organizing knowledge for writing term papers and essays, and test anxiety in some of the workshops.
If you think this might benefit you, take a look at the Winter 2019 list of sessions or contact the Counselling Centre, University Centre, UC-5000, to speak with a counsellor if you are feeling stressed or overwhelmed.
Academic Advising Centre
Science Building, Room SN 4053
Monday to Friday, 8:30am - 4:15pm