ADVICE for First Year Students
ADVICE is a newsletter created by the Academic Advising Centre for first-year students and this is your December edition. The Academic Advising Centre is here to provide academic guidance so that you can make the most of your experience at Memorial. One of the ways we do that is through regular monthly emails offering all first-year students current information about academic issues and resources. The December edition provides information that you may find useful at this point in the semester.
To stay up to date with important academic information, you can also...
- Like us on Facebook /munadvice
- Follow us on Twitter /MUNadvice
- Check out www.mun.ca/advice
- Go to www.mun.ca/advice/guide
Dec. 1: Lectures end for the Fall semester
Dec. 6: Exams begin for Fall semester courses
Dec. 15: Exams end for Fall semester courses.
Dec. 20: Final grades released via Memorial Self-Service beginning at 5 p.m.
Here are a few suggestions to help you prepare for exams and finish the semester successfully:
- create a study schedule
- maintain an organized study space
- practice working through old exams if available
- organize study groups with friends
- take regular breaks
- eat healthy food
- get enough sleep - especially the night before your exam!
The final exam schedule can be found in Self Service under the Academic Information Menu tab. If there is a problem with your exam schedule, for instance 3 examinations in less than 24 hours, it is in your best interest to contact the Office of the Registrar immediately.
Remember your ID!
You will need to have your MUN ID with you to be permitted to write the final exam.
Check the location of your exam!
You are responsible for ensuring the correct date, time and location of an exam. Exam locations may change up to a few days before the scheduled examination date. Verify your exam schedule before the examination period begins!
RELEASE OF GRADES
Final grades will be released via Memorial Self-Service beginning at 5 p.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 20, 2017.
At the end of each semester, in order to be eligible for continuance in the University, a student is required either:
- to obtain a current average of 50% in the courses for which he or she is registered on the last day for dropping courses without academic prejudice, or
- to have obtained a cumulative average of at least 55%.
- Note: Most academic units have separate promotion or advancement criteria for continuation of students in specific programs of study. Students are advised to check the regulations of the appropriate academic unit for details. The appropriate committee on undergraduate studies may, at any time, require a student to withdraw for academic reasons.
Any student who, for the first time, fails to meet the requirements outlined above will be given an academic warning. If you see an academic warning on your transcript please check your @mun email for information.
To speak with an academic advisor, you can book an appointment online by following these steps:
- Login to my.mun.ca and select "Students" at the top
- Find the "Student Services" box, click "Launch" and then "MyMUNLife".
- Select the Academic Advising Centre tab.
- Select "Book an appointment with the Academic Advising Centre"
- Select a booking option. You can search by appointment type or by academic advisor.
Once the appointment is booked, the system will send a confirmation email to your @mun.ca email and a reminder email the day before the appointment. You are also welcome to drop by the centre in SN 4053 between 8:30am - 4:15pm to speak with the next available advisor.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: 709 864 8801
- Fax: 709 864 2404
- Twitter: @MUNadvice
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/MUNadvice
Office Location & Hours
Science Building, Room SN 4053
- 8:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m., Monday to Friday (September - May)
- 8:30 a.m. to 3:45 p.m., Monday to Friday (June - August)
- Extended hours during the registration periods
- Drop-ins welcome everyday; appointments available Monday, Wednesday and Friday