Why should you declare a Major?
Declaring a major is one of the simplest ways of making your university experience better.
You will become eligible for the Dean's List and departmental awards and scholarships that faculty and department heads award to their own students. It’s the same as the lottery … If you don’t buy a ticket, you can’t win.
You will get priority in class enrollment. Makes sense, doesn’t it? You don’t get something for nothing. Like Anthony Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs, “Quid pro quo, Clarice, quid pro quo.”
You will be able to shape a quality university experience for yourself . Let’s face it - the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences is a big place. By declaring a major in a certain department, you have a home base. Developing relationships with other students and faculty members will enhance both your personal and future professional life, wherever that takes you.
You will have made a decision to study what you love . You are taking control of your own life… we know it’s scary but most worthwhile things in life are (you can always change your mind!).
What can you declare a Major in?
How do you declare a Major?
- Use Navigate to set up an appointment with a HSS Acdemic Advisor.
- After meeting with an advisor, make a decision. Remember, you can always change your mind if you decide at a certain point that particular major isn’t for you. That’s the beauty of studying in the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences - the programs are designed to be flexible.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org from your @MUN email account (include your student number and chosen major and second program (minor or second major)).
- Or do it old school by filling out this form [pdf] and dropping it off at the registrar's office in A-2003.
That’s it. You’re done. And thanks for making a decision. You won’t regret it.
How do you declare a Diploma?
- Students seeking information about a diploma program should contact the diploma Program Director.
- Make a decision. Remember, you can always change your mind if you decide at a certain point that particular diploma isn’t for you.
- Applicants for admission to diploma programs must apply by completing the appropriate form from the Office of the Registrar and deliver it to the Registrar's office.
How do you declare a Certificate?
- Students seeking information about a certificate program should contact the certificate Program Director.
- Make a decision. Remember, you can always change your mind if you decide at a certain point that particular certificate isn’t for you.
- Application for admission to a certificate program can be made by emailing email@example.com from your @mun email account (include your student number and chosen certificate program).