Academic Advice




Registration Help

Q: I can't register because my student number and PIN do not match. What should I do?

A: If you are a new student, or one who has had to apply for readmission to the university for the current semester, your initial PIN will be your birth year and day in the form YYYYDD. After you have entered this initial PIN, you will be prompted for a different six-digit number.

If you have not accessed the registration system since March 18, 2002, you must log in using your old four-digit PIN. You will then be prompted to change it to a six-digit number.

If you have previously logged in but have forgotten the PIN you created, you can use the "Forgot PIN?" option in Memorial Self-Service. Enter your user ID and click on "Forgot PIN?" Then follow the steps to reset your PIN.  Or, you can contact the Office of the Registrar at 709 864 4445 to have your PIN reset.

If you are attempting to view your application and document status, please use the username and PIN created to submit your application online. 

Q: Why does the system tell me I am not eligible to register at this time?

A: If you have not registered at the university within the last three semesters, you are required to complete an Application for Readmission. If you are a current student, check your time and date to register. You are only eligible to register after that time.

Q: The system says "there is no seat available for you" in the course for which I am trying to register, but it lists the section as having space available. Why is this?

A: The section may be reserved for students in a specific program. Check to see if there are any reserves or restrictions listed in the course offerings. Check the table of reserve codes carefully to make sure the reserve category is actually the program in which you are registered. Reserves may vary according to course section. You should check all sections of a course to determine if you are eligible to register. It may be that not all spaces have been reserved. As well, reserves may be lifted once students with priority access have had an opportunity to register. You should check the course status after reserves are lifted.

Q: How do I waitlist a course using Memorial Self-Service?

A: When you submit your request to add a course section using Memorial Self-Service, you will get a message if there is no seat available. If it is possible to waitlist in that section, a "waitlist" option will be available in the action list next to the course. You must select "waitlist" from this list and re-submit in order to become waitlisted in the course. Note that, if you were wait-listed for a course which was initially reserved, you may automatically become registered in it after reserves have been lifted, so check Memorial Self-Service for your status after reserves are lifted.

Q: How do I drop a course using Memorial Self-Service?

A: If the course is available to be dropped using Memorial Self-Service, you should select the "drop course" option from the "action" list next to the course on your schedule. If no such option exists, it is likely that the course is not available to be dropped using Memorial Self-Service and you should contact the academic department to obtain permission to drop the course using a signed Course Change Form. The form is valid only if properly stamped or signed by the Office of the Registrar. Make sure you know the deadlines for dropping and/or adding courses in each semester. Check the Relevant Dates each semester and the University Diary for the current academic year.

Q: People who were waitlisted behind me in a course section have already become registered for the course, but I don't seem to be moving off the waitlist. Why is this?

A: If you are already registered in another section of the same course, or if you are already registered in the maximum number of credit hours permitted by your academic program, your position on the waitlist has become inactive. You will not become registered in the course even if you are at the top of the waitlist when a space becomes available. However, if you drop the other section of the course (or reduce your number of credit hours below the maximum), your position on the waitlist will be reactivated.

Q: How do I audit a course?

A: In order to audit any course, an individual must receive permission from the instructor in that course and the head of the academic unit in which the course is offered. Permission cannot be given until the number of registrations is known. Factors to be considered shall include class size, impact on students registered for credit, and other matters judged relevant by the academic unit. For more information, please read the University Calendar.

Q: How do I make changes to my registration?

A: Once you have completed your initial registration you may make changes through the drop and add process. Changes in registration are not official unless you use the drop and add process. Most changes can be made through Memorial Self-Service. Please ensure you know deadlines for dropping and/or adding courses each semester. Check the Relevant Dates each semester and the University Diary for the current academic year.

For more information, visit the Changes to Registration page.

Q: How do I change my program of study?

A: If you are a current student, you should use the Declaration/Change of Academic Program Form to declare your academic program or to make changes to your academic program. Any changes to academic program information should be made by completing and returning a declaration/change of academic program form to the Office of the Registrar at least one week before registration, as eligibility for admission to some courses may be determined on the basis of the academic program information on file.

Q: How do I withdraw from the university?

A: A student who drops all courses in any given semester will be considered to have withdrawn from the university for that semester.

For more information, visit the University Calendar and the Withdrawing From the University page.

Q: How do I request a prerequisite waiver for a course?

A: If you wish to register in a course for which a prerequisite or co-requisite exists, and if you do not meet the requirement, you may wish to contact the appropriate academic unit head to request a waiver. You should do this before your assigned time of registration. Please note that any such waiver is valid only for one semester.

A Request for Waiver of Course Prerequisite or Co-requisite form is available at the Office of the Registrar or as a PDF.

Q: How can I request permission to register for more than 15 credit hours during one semester?

A: The normal course load in any semester is 15 credit hours, and in any session, 6 credit hours. Should you wish to register for more than the normal course load, and should your academic program not require you to register in more than the normal load, you must obtain the written permission of the dean/director of your faculty/school. This permission must be processed by the Office of the Registrar before the registration systems will permit you to register in more than the normal course load.

A Request for Course Load Waiver form is available at the Office of the Registrar or as a PDF. 

Q: Where can I pay my tuition and fees?

A: The Cashier's Office, AA-1023, is responsible for collection of all student fees and charges. For more information, visit the Cashier's Office page.  


Enrolment Services Help

Q: How do I change my address?

A: Changes should be made using Memorial Self-Service (Personal Information menu).

Q: I require an enrolment verification; where do I go?

A: Your official transcript, available through Memorial Self-Service, serves as confirmation of your full- or part-time status, but if you require additional confirmation of enrolment for submission to a third party, you can request an enrolment verification letter via Memorial Self Service. Login using your student number and PIN, then click on the link to the Registration Menu, and follow the instructions labelled 'Request Enrolment Verification'.

Once you have submitted your request, you may check its status on the same web page by using the "Enrolment Verification Status". For more information, visit the Enrolment Verification page.

Q: What does the university provide for income tax purposes?

A: The T2202A contains the fee and attendance information needed in the preparation of your income tax return. The T2202A for any given tax year is available no later than early February of the following year, and is found under the "Financial Information" menu in Memorial Self-Service.

Q: How do I change my name?

A: You can request a change of name (either a legal name change or a correction, such as including your middle name) using the Change of Name form available from the Office of the Registrar. Documentation will be required. You may also submit a request in writing, along with a copy of the appropriate documentation, by mail to the Office of the Registrar or by fax at 709 864-2337. Remember to include your preferred first name if it is something other than your legal name.

Q: I have questions about my transcript; where do I look?

A: All questions about transcripts (e.g. how to request one and what information is shown) can be answered on the Memorial University Transcript page and the Transcript Definitions page.

Q: Can someone pick up my transcript for me?

A: Yes; when submitting a transcript request through Memorial Self-Service, you may indicate in the comment box the name of the person whom you authorize to  pick up your transcript. Ensure that person brings photo identification to pick up the transcript. 

Q: How do I opt out of insurance?

A: You can find information about who is eligible and how to opt out of dental and medical insurance through the MUNSU webpage at www.munsu.ca

Q: How do I set up my @mun.ca e-mail account?

A: The Office of the Registrar uses @mun.ca e-mail accounts as a tool to communicate with students. If you have not already set up your @mun.ca account, you should do so at my.mun.ca. Information about setting up your @mun.ca account is available here.

Q: How do I use Memorial Self-Service?

A: Memorial Self-Service provides you with online access to your personal and academic information and is the tool used throughout your studies at Memorial University for all enrolment activities from registration to convocation to applying for readmission to the university.

You can, among many things, confirm course offerings and your registration time, register for courses, and pay your fees each semester through Memorial Self-Service.

Upon receiving an offer of admission to Memorial University, you will be able to set up your Memorial Self-Service account so that you may browse the menus and prepare for registration. For instructions regarding your login ID and PIN, see the Memorial Self-Service login page. For step-by-step instructions for first-time users of Memorial Self-Service, click here.


Admissions Help

Q: How do I check my application status?

A: If you applied online as a new student to Memorial University you can access the Online Application for Admission, using your application login ID and PIN, to track the status of your application.

Current or former Memorial students who applied using Memorial Self-Service can check the status using the Admissions menu there.

Applications for certain programs may require you to submit additional documents beyond those listed in your online application summary. These requirements are outlined within or on the related supplementary application form. Academic units or programs with additional requirements include the Faculty of Education, the Schools of Human Kinetics and Recreation, Music, Pharmacy, and Social Work; and the Bachelor of Nursing and the Bachelor of Fine Arts. Please see the related supplementary application form for specific advice or refer to the Admission to Faculties and Schools for program application and admission contact information.

Applicants who apply using a paper copy of the General Application for Admission/Readmission do not have access to online status updates.

Q: What documents are required for admission?

A: The documents required from an applicant for admission can be found on the Supporting Documents Required page. 

Q: Can I apply after the application deadline?

A: Yes, you can! For more information, visit the Late Applications page.

Q: How do I challenge for credit?

A: Applications to challenge for credit are available at the Office of the Registrar and online, Challenge for Credit Form. Completed applications must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar and must receive approval from the head of the academic unit offering the course(s). The academic unit may require documentary material from the student and/or an interview before making its decision whether or not to accept the challenge. The academic unit involved will be responsible for deciding the scheduling and appropriate method of evaluation, which may consist of a variety of possible modes of evaluation including written, practical and oral.

For more information, visit the University Calendar

Q: I am a transfer student; how do I apply for credit?

A: Course equivalency is determined by the academic unit responsible for each respective subject area. This is done by comparing the course and transcript information available for each student with existing Memorial University courses in that subject area. The process is coordinated by the Office of the Registrar.

A number of courses from many recognized post-secondary institutions have already been evaluated for equivalency with Memorial University courses. Where precedents exist, transfer credit can be awarded by the Office of the Registrar when the student's transcript is received. For more information, visit the University Calendar and the Information for Transfer Students page.

Q: How am I accepted into a faculty/school?

A: Some degrees have admission requirements beyond those for general undergraduate admission. Decisions are made by the academic unit offering the degree and you may need to submit a separate Supplementary Application Form to request admission to that degree. More information can be found on the Admission to Faculties and School page. 

Q: How do I apply for scholarships?

A: Scholarships do not require a separate application unless otherwise stated. More information can be found on the Scholarships for Undergraduate Students page. 

Q: Does Memorial recognize Prior Learning and Recognition?

A: We do not currently have a formal policy on PLAR. The only form of PLAR that we have listed in our Calendar is our Challenge for Credit policy.


Academic Advice

Q: What are the continuation requirements?

A: The general regulations for continuance and readmission can be found in the University Calendar. Some Faculties and Schools have programs in which the requirements for promotion, readmission, or continuation are different from the general regulations.  More information can be found on Faculty/School Continuation Requirements page.

Q: I am new to MUN. Where can I get advice about courses and programs?

A: The Academic Advising Centre has advisors that can help you with your academic needs.  

Q: What if I am unsure about what program I want to apply for?

A: If you are first year or beyond first year and undeclared, the Academic Advising Centre can help you with your decision.  

Q: I have received notice that I have been required to withdraw from the university.  What does this mean?

A: This means you cannot attend Memorial until you have served your period of dismissal. For most students, being required to withdraw is a result of not meeting General Academic Regulation in the University Calendar. 

A message is posted to your Self-Service account when Academic Warning has been given; check your @mun.ca e-mail account for furthur information. 

Q: How do I obtain a program or degree audit?

A: Undergraduate students may request an academic audit of their program status by completing and submitting the "Request for Degree Advice" form. This form is available at the Office of the Registrar or you can print a PDF copy.

Q: This is the first online course that I’ve registered for. What should I know?

A: The Centre for Innovation in Teaching and Learning (CITL) website has a Semester Startup Guide to help you ease into your first online course. 

Q: I need to defer my online exam (midterm or final); how do I do this?

A: If you are prevented from writing a mid-term exam due to illness or bereavement or other acceptable cause, you may apply, with supporting documents to have the exam deferred. The CITL website provides more information on the process. 

Q: I have three exams in 24 hours; what can I do about this?

A: If you are scheduled to write three final exams beginning and ending within a 24-hour period, you may write the three examinations as scheduled, or you may request in advance to write a deferred exam.
The second exam in the 24-hour period is the one which must be deferred. You must make a request for a deferred exam directly to the academic unit in question. Note that some academic units have forms and deadlines for submission of requests for deferred examinations.


Graduation Help

Q: I am not attending Convocation. How can I obtain my graduation parchment?

A: Students who do not attend the Convocation ceremony may pick up their graduation parchment from A 2003 in the Arts and Administration Building beginning on the first working day following the last session of Convocation.

Note: You must present your Student ID (or other acceptable photo identification).

If you wish to have someone else retrieve your graduation parchment on your behalf, you must submit a written authorization (from your secure @mun.ca account) to graduation@mun.ca.

If your graduation parchment is not retrieved as noted above, it will be mailed to you within two weeks after the official Convocation ceremony.

Q: When is the deadline to ensure that my name appears in the convocation programme?

The names of candidates who are approved prior to the programme publication deadline (approximately two weeks prior to the first day of Convocation) will appear in the convocation programme. For those who are approved after the publication deadline, their names will be reflected in an addendum.

Q: When will I get a letter confirming my eligibility to graduate?

Following 1) submission of the Application to Graduate, 2) subsequent assessment and confirmation by the Office of the Registrar that all program requirements have been successfully completed and applicable financial obligations met , and 3) verification that program eligibility has been approved by the appropriate academic authorities, students are officially notified, in writing, regarding their graduation status/eligibility (approximately three weeks prior to the first day of Convocation - earlier if requirements are completed prior to that semester which immediately precedes Convocation).

For more inquiries related to eligibility letters, contact graduation@mun.ca.

Q: Can I request an invitation letter to invite my overseas guests to attend my convocation?

Yes. Invitation letters will only be issued to students who have applied to graduate and who have no outstanding fees in their student accounts. Send your request to graduation@mun.ca.

Q: Once I pay my fees owing to MUN, what is the process with my application for graduation?

Once you have met all financial obligations, we will continue to process your application for graduation. Keep in mind that this is not related to your academic status; and if you are still registered in required courses for the program from which you are graduating, your graduation status will remain as “pending” until after grades are released for the semester, when final assessments are complete.

Q: When does a Memorial University transcript show graduation credentials?

The award of a Memorial University degree, diploma and/or certificate is reflected on the student’s academic transcript on the first working day following the last session of Convocation.

Q: Who can I contact if I still have graduation–related questions?

You may contact Program Advice Contacts (a list can be found on the Staff Contact page) or graduation@mun.ca.


Email Help

Q: What is the single email policy?

A: The single email policy provides Memorial’s faculty, staff, students, retirees and alumni with a single email address (for life) which is the sole address to be used for official university email correspondence.

Q: I have an @mun.ca email address. Does this policy affect me? How?

A: Memorial ensures that all students, faculty, staff, alumni and retirees are provided with a single email address (for life) and all official email correspondence from Memorial will be sent only to the Memorial addresses and not to external email addresses. Memorial is not obliged to accept email from students, faculty, staff, alumni or retirees unless it comes from a valid @mun.ca address.

Q: I use a hotmail, Yahoo, Sympatico or other email account when I am at home. Can I still do that?

A: Yes, you can still access external email accounts at home but Memorial is encouraging you to use @mun.ca email wherever feasible. Academic and administrative units at Memorial are responsible for sending official email communication to employees and students via the Memorial email address.

Q: Why do I need to use an @mun.ca account?

A: All Memorial faculty, staff, students, alumni and retirees are obligated to correspond to any one affiliated with MUN on official MUN business with their @mun.ca email account.

Q: I correspond with students a lot. Do I have to insist they use an @mun.ca account?

A: We recommend that you request that students use their @mun.ca account for official Memorial University correspondence.

Q: I am a faculty member. Do I have to use an @mun.ca account? Do I have to give up my other e-mail accounts?

A: You do not have to give up external email accounts but Memorial is encouraging you to use @mun.ca email for all your email communications. It is an email for life. The policy states that academic units at Memorial are responsible for sending official email communication to employees and students via the Memorial email address.


Office of the Registrar

230 Elizabeth Ave, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1B 3X9

Postal Address: P.O. Box 4200, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1C 5S7

Tel: (709) 864-8000