Declaring a Major or Minor
If you already know the program you intend to do, officially declaring your program has many benefits that you might not realize. Here are just a few of the benefits of declaring your degree program as soon as possible:
- register easily for courses reserved for students declared in that program/major/minor
- be included in emails and communications from your department about news, events and work opportunities within that department
- connect with other students studying the same subject to share ideas, information, and advice and get involved with your department's student society
- be automatically considered for any department scholarships, bursaries or awards
- be considered for your faculty Dean's List each year.
The sooner you declare your program, the sooner you will be in the loop for all things connected to your area of study.
How to Declare a Major or Minor
To declare most majors and minors from the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, email email@example.com to make your choice official. There are some exceptions which require signatures on a declaration form or have a competitive application process. If you want to speak with someone in the department of the major you are considering, check out the list of HSS departmental advisors.
To declare a major or minor from the Faculty of Science, the signature of the department head is usually required on the declaration form. There are some exceptions which have competitive application processes and they include Biology, Biochemistry and Psychology. If you want to speak with someone in the department of the major you are considering, check out the list of Science departmental advisors.
To declare a minor from the Faculty of Business Administration, the signature of the department head is required on the declaration form. If you would like to speak with someone about the Business programs, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
To declare a minor from the School of Music, email email@example.com. If you would like to speak with someone about Music programs, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are planning to apply to a competitive entry degree program, check the application deadlines to make sure yours is submitted before that date.
To discuss options available or to obtain academic advice on course selection, please contact Academic Advising Centre.