Using your Funding

Research Support Services offers pre-award support for researchers; once you've obtained your funding other Memorial units, including your home department, are best positioned to assist you with using and administering your funds.

Use of Funds

Sponsors will outline permitted expenses and use of funds in either an agreement, an award letter, or in reference materials such as guides or regulations. It's the responsibility of the researcher to ensure expenses incurred adhere to the categories or items permitted by a funder. Departmental administrators, and Financial Administrative Services are the first stop to ask questions about any expenditures.

For Tri-Agency grants, see Tri-Agency Guide on Financial Administration


You may wish or need to change an aspect of your funding once it is awarded. Such changes usually require approval, and depending on the sponsor can involve submissions of forms or other materials.

For information on normal Tri-Agency amendments, including end dates or extension requests, see Tri-Agency Grant Amendments

COVID-19 extension requests for SSHRC and NSERC have specific procedures - see

For all other extension requests, please contact an HSS Grants Facilitation Officer.

Upcoming Deadlines

NSERC: Discovery Horizons

EOI/LOI/NOI Deadline anticipated

June 16, 2024

June 18, 2024 at 5:00 PM