"> "/> "/>

Clearances & Certificates

Research projects often require documentation of consent or clearance for various aspects of a scholarly inquiry. The most common are for work with human research participants, and these can also include research with specific communities or groups. Though rare in the humanities and social sciences, clearances are also required for work with animals and hazardous materials. In some disciplines there's also need for permits, ranging from those for archaeological digs to the operation of specialized equipment such as remote controlled drones. In each case an applicant needs to discern whether a clearance, certificate, permit, or consent is required for their proposed research, and find out who or what body is capable of approving or granting the necessary documents so their research can proceed. In some cases it might be Memorial; in other cases it might be a provincial or federal agency, or a community body. 

Memorial University

Ethics, Animal, and Biosafety

For more, see Research Integrity & Ethics from the Office of the Vice President (Research).

Indigenous Research

On July 9, 2020, Memorial University's Board of Regents approved the new Research Impacting Indigenous Groups (RIIG) policy. The approved policy and procedures, as well other documents including an Introduction to the RIIG Policy and a Principles for Engagement document, are currently available on this site: https://www.mun.ca/research/Indigenous/. They will be added to Memorial's institutional policy site in the near future.

To ensure that researchers and research staff are fully supported as this policy rolls out, the Office of the Vice-President (Research) is completing infrastructure, training materials (including training sessions for staff and researchers), and support systems to be ready for Sept. 1. In the meantime, research applications can progress as usual as we put these in place and any requests for advice can be made to the email address below. Updates and support materials will be available at the above website as they become available. If you have questions, please direct them to IndigenousResearch@mun.ca.

A full list of contacts for Indigenous Groups, Organizations, and Communities in Newfoundland & Labrador, is maintained as part of this initiative. Some communities have formalized procedures, others do not. See https://www.mun.ca/research/Indigenous/researchcontacts.php.

Province of Newfoundland & Labrador

Provincial Archaeology Office
Nunatsiavut Government

Government of Canada

Transport Canada