Finding Funding

COVID-19 Updates

We are attempting to update all opportunity deadlines and details in the HSS Research Funding Tracker as we recieve them. However, if you plan to apply for an upcoming opportunity, please confirm the deadlines with a  HSS Grants Facilitator, before submitting for review. Equally, if you have deadline inquiries for opportunities, or details we may have not received, please contact a Grants Facilitator so we may make updates. 

Find funding opportunities, submission procedures, and internal and external deadlines for most internal and external competitions in HSS's Research Funding Tracker (RFT). If an opportunity is not found in the RFT, please inquire with a  Grants Facilitator.

Types of Funding Opportunities


The most common and accessible form of funding for HSS researchers are grant opportunities which are funded by a number of agencies, associations, or organization, as well as internally by Memorial University. Funding opportunities can be ad hoc or a single competition, or annual, or multiple times per year depending on the agency and funding program. For large agencies, such as SSHRC, the funding deadlines occur on a regular annual basis; planning to apply often occurs a year in advance.

Contracts & Agreements

Although not as open as grants, HSS researchers often work with partners in private industry, non-profit, or the public sector on projects which are tailored specifically to their expertise and the needs of the sponsor. In such cases funding is often obtained and governed by research contracts which define the amount and scope of the work involved.

In some cases once a grant is awarded agreements must be struck between Memorial and a sponsor to outline financial administration terms, eligible expenses, and other matters.

Awards & Honours

Another opportunity for research funding can be professional awards or honours, which often come with funding envelopes. Such awards can be internal or external, and often have fewer restrictions, meaning awards do not only enhance a scholar's profile, they can act as matching or bridge funding for research. For more see Awards & Honours.


Reseachers interested in spending time at another institution to further their research or develop their scholarly profile, or in specific cases, join Memorial itself as fellows, can apply for fellowships funded by existing research projects, or from external agencies and organizations. Some take up residence at Memorial, while others provide means for Memorial researchers to visit and take residence elsewhere. Such funding usually focuses on maintenance and / or salary costs, but they can also include small research expense costs for travel and archival or other kinds of field work.