Tri-Agency Grant Amendments
As of April 1, 2020, Canadian Federal Agencies CIHR, NSERC, and SSHRC, will commence using a new form for processing amendments to existing grants which will require procedural changes at the institutional level. The most significant change instituted by the agencies is the requirement for institutional submission of the amendment form. Grant holders are no longer permitted to submit amendment forms directly; they must receive institutional approval.
Note: This procedure is not to be used for COVID-19 extension requests. For COVID-19 related extensions, please see the procedure outlined on the COVID-19 page at https://www.mun.ca/hss/faculty_staff/research_support_services/news/covid-19/#tri-agency_extensions
Changes in Procedure
Research Initiatives and Services (RIS)
In response to this change, Memorial University's Research Initiatives and Services (RIS) office will now submit amendments on behalf of grant holders. In order to facilitate such submissions, RIS requests that researchers use an Amendment Event on the existing file in the Memorial Researcher Portal. In addition to completing the Researcher Portal questions, grant holders must:
- Attach a completed Tri-Agency Grant Amendment Form (https://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/_doc/Tri-Agency/TAFAG/Grant_Amendment_Form_e.pdf);
- Attach any supporting documentation required for the amendment;
- Attach Faculty-level approvals (see below).
HSS Faculty Procedure
Until further notice, the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences procedure for grant amendments is as follows:
- Applicants should discuss the amendment type and requirements with their department heads.
- Complete the Tri-Agency Grant Amendment Form (https://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/_doc/Tri-Agency/TAFAG/Grant_Amendment_Form_e.pdf)
- Note - "Institutional Representative" or "Authorized Official" in Tri-Agency forms indicates an officer designated by Research Initiatives and Services. Such signature areas should remain unfilled.
- Note - Supporting Documentation may include approvals of changes or extensions to commitments (space, course release use, extension of cash contribution availability, etc.).
- Note - unless explicitly noted, Department Heads do not sign Tri-Agency amendment forms.
Other Resources & Details
For assistance on launching events in the Memorial Researcher Portal, see https://rpresources.mun.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/24.11.2017-Creating-and-Managing-Events.pdf