Deans List Criteria
The Dean's List recognizes academic excellence. University information about the Dean's List is outlined in UNIVERSITY REGULATIONS - General Academic Regulations (Undergraduate), Dean’s and Vice-President’s List. In the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences (HSS), undergraduate students who meet all of the following criteria shall have a notation placed on their transcript that the student was named to the Dean's List.
Procedure and Criteria
- As per UNIVERSITY REGULATIONS - General Academic Regulations (Undergraduate), Dean’s and Vice-President’s List, General Information, a maximum of 10 percent of students in the Faculty shall be eligible. In the event that more than 10 percent of students meet the academic criteria, the minimum grade threshold shall increase accordingly.
- Eligibility is determined at the end of the Winter semester. Eligibility is based on academic performance in the nominating period, which is the entirety of the three preceding semesters (Spring, Fall and Winter, inclusive). After the release of final grades in the Winter semester, a list of eligible students is generated by the Office of the Registrar and reviewed by the Dean’s Office.
- All full-time students who have declared a Major or Honours program in the Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences are eligible and will be automatically considered. A student must be enrolled in a Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Arts (Honours), International Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Arts (Co-operative), Joint Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science or Joint Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Commerce program. Alternatively, a student may complete the requirements for the degree during the nominating period. Students with INC grades are treated on a case-by-case basis.
- The official transcript must demonstrate that the student has met all of the following minimum criteria during the nominating period:
- completed at least 27 credit hours in courses delivered by Memorial University of Newfoundland;
- obtained a grade point average of 3.50 or higher;
- obtained a final numeric grade average of no less than 80%;
- obtained a final numeric grade of no less than 80% (letter grade of A) in at least seven courses, of which at least five courses were delivered by this Faculty’s Major programs identified in Degree Regulations – General and Honours Degrees;
- obtained no more than three final numeric grades less than 80% (letter grade of B or lower);
- obtained no final numeric grades below 50% (letter grade of F or FAL); and
- did not commit an academic offense, as outlined in UNIVERSITY REGULATIONS - General Academic Regulations (Undergraduate), Academic Misconduct.
- For the exclusive purposes of establishing eligibility in 4. above:
- grades and grade point average are examined to the second decimal place, and are not rounded up; and
- a student who was required during the nomination period to complete one or more work terms as part of a co-operative education degree program is eligible if a Pass With Distinction standard was achieved. In such cases, for the exclusive purposes of the Dean's List calculation, the Pass With Distinction semester will be treated as a final numeric grade of 80% (letter grade of A) in 5 courses (15 credit hours).
- Courses identified as “TR” (transfer) on a Memorial University of Newfoundland transcript are not eligible for consideration unless obtained through Memorial Abroad or Field school Programs. Regardless of a student’s program of study, a recommended planning process is outlined at International Study Option and/or in the student’s Major program.