50th Anniversary Celebrations
Canadian space legend Dr. Roberta Bondar announced as the faculty's 50th Anniversary guest speaker. Dr. Bondar will speak on Aug. 9 at the Emera Innovation Exchange at Memorial University's Signal Hill campus. Dr. Bondar is Canada's first woman astronaut and first neurologist in space! Special thanks to the F.W. Angel Memorial Lecture for partnering with us on this event.
The Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science is celebrating 50 years of engineering education in the province.
Come celebrate with us on Aug. 9-10, 2019:
- 50th Anniversary Event Featuring Dr. Roberta Bondar | Age 19+ | Friday, Aug. 9, 2019 | 8-11 p.m. (doors open at 7:30 p.m.) | Signal Hill Campus, Memorial University
- 50th Anniversary Family Open House | Saturday, Aug. 10, 2019 | 11 a.m.-2 p.m. | S.J. Carew Building, Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science, Memorial University
In 1969, our founding Dean, Dr. Angus Bruneau, announced a new full engineering degree program at Memorial. The first class of students entered a year of general studies in the Fall of 1968 and then began the new engineering program in the Fall of 1969. The first engineering class began, along with the first offering of a master of engineering degree in ocean engineering. In 1974, Memorial’s first class of 76 students graduated with a degree of bachelor of engineering in electrical, mechanical or civil engineering. To celebrate 50 years of engineering education in the province, here is what the Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science has planned:
50th Anniversary Event Featuring Dr. Roberta Bondar
- Date: Friday, Aug. 9, 2019
- Time: 8-11 p.m. (doors open at 7:30 p.m.)
- Location: Signal Hill Campus, Memorial University
- Description: Canadian space legend Dr. Roberta Bondar will be the faculty's 50th Anniversary guest speaker. Dr. Bondar is Canada's first female astronaut and first neurologist in space! Special thanks to the F.W. Angel Memorial Lecture for sponsoring this event. Join your fellow alumni and friends of the faculty for some inspiring conversation and great food.
- Notes: Tickets are $75 per person. Age 19+ Purchase tickets here.
50th Anniversary Family Open House
- Date: Saturday, Aug. 10, 2019
- Time: 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Location: S.J. Carew Building, Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science, Memorial University
- Description: Memorial’s Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science will host an open house as a part of the 50th celebrations. This family-friendly event will begin in the main foyer of the engineering building with information booths and guided tours of working laboratories. For a list of tours and descriptions please click here. Please note some tours and/or lab descriptions may change. Then join Engineering Co-op team members in the Faculty/Staff Lounge on the fourth floor for some refreshments and the chance to meet some old friends and make some new ones. For returning alumni, the open house is a great opportunity to take a walk down memory lane with your family.
- Notes: Admission is free but you still need to register so that we can properly plan for numbers. Register here.
- Parking for the open house is available in lots 7 and 7a (located on the west side of the S.J. Carew (Engineering) Building and in lot 60 (located under the Alexander Murray Building) across from the main entrance to the S.J. Carew (Engineering) Building). See St. John's Campus Parking Maps for more directions.
COST: Friday night tickets - $75 per person | Saturday tickets - Cost is free, but registration is required.
CONTACT: Coreen Bennett | email@example.com | 709-864-6222
Purchase tickets/register here.
Thank you to the following for partnering on the Faculty's 50th Anniversary Celebrations: