New Graduate Students - M.Eng / PhD


Welcome to your graduate studies in the Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science!

1. Please review information for new graduate students

2. Attend one of the orientation sessions for graduate students in engineering

  • The schedule and link for the orientation will be emailed to you.

3. Check-in process

  • Email your program of study form to Qing Chen 
  • If you are an international student, email us a copy of your study permit, student visa, or a letter of invitation (LOI), which confirms the approval of your visa application. You may not have the Program of Study Form if you are given a conditional admission.
  • If you are given a conditional admission letter, please email the documents specified in the letter to and request an unconditional offer.

4. Registration online

  • Please set up your account at
  • Register courses - Click “Launch Memorial Self-Service” after logging in Register courses in “Add and Drop Courses”. All graduate students in engineering are required to register for ENGI9000. The registration instruction can be found at: Course offerings and schedules for each semester are listed at:
  • Please consult with your supervisor for course selection for each semester
  • TA training - This training is required before applying for a TA position. Please register for SC1807 (CRN 63122) lab safety training & SC1808 (74221) WHMIS training. Once complete, please submit the grade via email to our office.

5. Other documents (required within the first two weeks after semester begins)

Social Insurance Number (SIN) Card - Please present us your SIN card. All students are required to obtain a Social Insurance Number (SIN) in order to have your funding set up. An application can be made at St. John’s Human Resources Centre Canada, 223 Churchill Avenue, Pleasantville St. John’s, NL A1A 1N3 Phone 1-800-206-7218

Please fill out below forms and submit them to Qing Chen:

6. LabNet account - If you need access to LabNet, please click here. Follow the instructions on the page. This will set up the LabNet account and sync the passwords with your account.

7. Other things you need to know

  • Fees - You can find the fee charges in “Financial Information” on “Self-Service”. Fee Payment Deadline is the first day of class. Fees may be paid online through self-service, or telephone banking.
  • Payroll deduction - Graduate students who wish to have their tuition paid from the bi-weekly financial support can sign up for payroll deduction online through MUN self-service. Once sign in MUN self-service, you could click “Employee Services” and then the “Graduate Student Payroll Deduction Request”. This payroll deduction has to be done once every semester. Current students could make the request online 24 hours after the registration. New students will be able to make the request on the first day of classes.
  • Office space - New students will be assigned an office space in their third semester. Please refer to the office space policy at: . There are temporary drop-in spaces available in EN2041.
  • Update your mailing address - All mail from School of Graduate Studies, Registrar’s Office, Cashier’s Office, etc. will be sent to your address on self-service. Please update your current/local mailing address immediately by using the student self-service.
  • Course evaluation - A student shall obtain at leave 65% in each course taken for credit. A student shall obtain a minimum average of 75% in order to maintain the fellowship status.
  • Check MUN email on regular basis - Once the MUN email is set up on your account, please make sure to check this email daily, as all messages from the University will be sent to this MUN email, not your personal email.

Note: P.Eng. licensure in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador is governed by the Professional Engineers and Geoscientists Newfoundland and Labrador (PEGNL). A degree from a graduate program in engineering does not ensure eligibility for a P.Eng. license. An applicant must hold an undergraduate engineering degree from a Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board-accredited undergraduate program or possess equivalent academic qualifications. Please check the PEGNL website at or contact PEGNL by email at