Frequently Asked Questions

When is the deadline for Faculty of Engineering applications?

A student applying for admission to the Bachelor of Engineering program is required to submit an online application. Applications for admission to Engineering One (EO) will normally be considered for admission to the Fall semester of each year. The deadline for submission of applications for admission to the Fall semester is March 1.

Can Bachelor of Science students apply directly to Term 3 (T3) Engineering?

No. Only EO students can promote to Term 3. All Bachelor of Science students wishing to get into T3 must first be accepted into EO. Pleasee see below the requirements to get into EO.

What are the requirements for Bachelor of Science students to get accepted into EO?

To be eligible for consideration for admission to the Bachelor of Engineering program, a student who is attending or has previously attented Memorial University must have a cumulative average of at least 70 per cent, and obtained a grade of at least 70 per cent in two or more of the following courses: Mathematics 1000, Mathematics 1001, Mathematics 2050, Physics 1050, Physics 1051, Chemistry 1050, English 1090 or the former English 1080. 

When can Bachelor of Science students apply to the engineering program (EO)?

The deadline for application to the Winter semester is October 1, and to the Spring semester is February 1.

Does Faculty of Engineering accept late applications?

Applications received after the relevant deadline may be considered as time and space permit. The Admissions Committee for the Faculty will only consider applications that are complete.

Can Bachelor of Science students register for engineering courses?

No. In order to register for ENGI 10xx courses, students must first be accepted into EO.

I am an international student. Do you have any English requirements?

Applicants who have not met the university specified requirements for study at an English language secondary or post-secondary institutions are required to:

1. Possess higher than university minimum scores in one of the following standardized tests:

  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). A minimum score of 90, with at least 20 in each of the Reading and Listening, and no less than 25 in Speaking and Writing, is required on the TOEFL;
  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS). A minimum overall band score of 6.5, with a band score of at least 6.5 in speaking and writing, and no less than 6.0 in reading and listening, is required on the IELTS;
  • Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL). A minimum score of 70, with at least 60 per band, and no less than 70 in Speaking and Writing, is required on the CAEL; and

2. Successfully complete an e-proctored English test and an interview.

What are the mathematics requirements for high school students to get into engineering?

All applicants for EO should be able to register for MATH 1000. In order to register for MATH 1000, N.L. high school students taking Advanced Math 3200 must obtain a grade of 75 per cent or better in the course. If the grade is below 75 per cent, they must write MPT (Math Placement Test) and get at leat 75 per cent. Details about MPT registration and test dates are posted on the Math Department website.

All students entering Memorial University who have completed or are completing Calculus 3208 can write Calculus Placement Test (CPT). Candidates who pass CPT will be awarded credit for MATH 1000 and can register for MATH 1001. Detailes about CPT registration and test dates are available on the Math Department webiste.

All high school student applicants from other provincies must write MPT in order to get acces granted to register for MATH 1000, unless they come with a credit (took AP Math or IB Math and obtained at least 3 in the AP exam, or 4 in the IB exam). 

What if I fail an Engineering One required course?

If you wish to be promoted to Term 3, you must repeat the course before the end of the spring semester.

How many times I am allowed to re-take a course?

A student can take a course as many times as he/she wants. For the admission average to T3, we will consider the higher mark in each course. If a student fails a course twice, they will not be accepted into the Engineering One program.

What is the likelihood of an Engineering One student getting a work term in the spring semester?

This is dependent upon factors within a student's control (e.g., grades, interview performance) and factors outside of a student's control (e.g., availability of positions, competition, company culture). To be eligible to enter the job competition, students must have a minimum of a 70 per cent average at the end of the fall semester. Students should attend all sessions of the ENGI 200W Professional Development course and consult with the Co-operative Education Office.

Can you take a course while on work term if you are an Engineering One student?

To go on a spring work term in your Engineering One year, you must have completed all 11 required courses before the end of the winter semester. However, you can take a course while on work term if you have permission from your employer.

Can a Bachelor of Science student get a work term?

No. Only EO students are eligeble for Work terms.

I am transferring and I have an engineering technical diploma. Can I upgrade this to a degree?

Yes, but courses required for a technical diploma and an academic engineering degree are often different. Many students gain some transfer credits, but not necessarily as many as they think they should receive. In many cases, students begin in Engineering One and complete the full five years of Memorial's engineering program.

Does Memorial have any transfer agreements with colleges for its engineering program?

No. Due to the nature of our program, this type of agreement is difficult. Students with college diplomas will be considered on a case-by-case basis to determine where they can enter the program. Depending on the diploma, entry to the second year of engineering (terms 3 or 4 upon completion of additional make up courses) may be possible.