Parents & Supporters Toolbox

Content Guide

International Students


LGBTQIA+ Students

Indigenous Students

Mental Health and Wellness

Non-traditional Students

1. International Students

Mun Res

Memorial’s Internationalization Office assists students coming to Memorial University and Memorial students wishing to travel abroad. The Internationalization Office helps new and current international students, whether your student needs information or just a friendly chat. Your student can talk to the staff at the Internationalization Office about health insurance, immigration, academic and career options, and how to get settled here in the city of St. John’s.

The International Student Resource Centre (ISC)

The International Student Resource Centre (ISC) helps welcome international students on campus and ensures that your student will have equal opportunities while studying in St. John’s. The centre and its team focus on bringing people together to embrace and celebrate diversity and culture. With signature annual events including the International Student Recognition Awards (IRSA) and the Multicultural show, there are many opportunities for your student to get involved. Your student can contact the centre by phone (709) 864-2002, by email at, or on Facebook or Instagram @ISCMUN.

^Return to Top

2. Accessibility


The Blundon Centre (Student Life)

The Blundon Centre (Student Life) supports all students who experience barriers to accessing post-secondary education. If your student is dealing with a permanent or temporary disability, they should reach out to one of the student learning accessibility advisors at the Blundon Centre so they can discuss test, exam, and classroom accommodations. Your student can also contact the Blundon Centre to request accessible parking, specific housing arrangements, and alternate format textbooks. Also, make sure your student knows about Clockwork, the Blundon Centre’s online accommodations system so that they can easily request accommodations each semester. 

Disability Information & Support Centre (MUN DISC)

Offers peer support for disability-related topics, to advocate for the rights of students and raise awareness of these topics within the university and in the community. The centre works to remove barriers faced by students with disabilities and aims to promote a more accessible education and campus. Your student can contact the centre on Facebook @MUNDISC, or by calling (709) 864-7993, or by emailing

^Return to Top

3. LGBTQIA+ Students


Important Definitions for Parents and Supporters
  • Sex: Refers to the physical characteristics of a person (i.e, what sex organs they have) 
  • Gender Identity: “An individual’s deeply felt sense of gender, regardless of physical characteristics”- because sometimes these don’t always ‘match’ up
  • Sexual Orientation: Defined by romantic, emotional, and physical attraction
  • LGBTQIA+: An acronym for lesbian, gay, transgender, queer, intersex, and asexual individuals. The acronym has many terms and it is also constantly changing and improving to include everyone in the community.
  • Bisexual: Refers to the sexual orientation of a person who is attracted to two or more genders
  • Intersex: A term that describes a variety of conditions in which a person is born without the typical reproductive or sexual anatomy of male or female
  • Transgender: Refers to gender identity. A transgender person does not align with the physical characteristics that they were born with
  • Non-binary: The preferred umbrella term for all genders other than female/male or woman/man, used as an adjective (e.g. Jessie is a non-binary person). Not all non-binary people identify as trans and not all trans people identify as non-binary
  • Cisgender: A term that describes an individual whose anatomical sex aligns with their gender, for example, a person with male anatomy whose internal self is a man
  • Two-Spirit: A term used by some Indigenous cultures and communities to describe gender-variant individuals. Some Two-Spirit individuals identify as LGBTQIA+, but the term refers explicitly to Indigenous peoples. It is important to remember that the term is also a symbol of Indigenous resilience, as it is a way of reclaiming pre-colonial identities and traditions
  • Pansexual: A person who is attracted to people regardless of gender, physical body, or identity. This can be used to describe sexuality that is fluid
  • Asexual: Refers to individuals that experience little to no physical or sexual attraction to others. An asexual person may still want relationships of an emotional or romantic nature 
  • Lesbian: Refers to a woman that is romantically, emotionally, and sexually attracted to other women.
  • Gay: Refers to a man that is romantically, emotionally, and sexually attracted to other men.
  • Homophobia: The fear, hatred, ignorance and stigma towards LGBTQIA+ people 
  • Transphobia: The fear, hatred, ignorance and stigma towards people who are transgender
  • Biphobia: The specific stigma bisexual people face in their cultures and communities 

Adapted from Kutcher, Stan. (2019). Transitions: Making the Most of Your Campus Experience.

Trans & Gender Diverse Students’ Guide

The Trans & Gender Diverse Students’ Guide was developed specifically for trans and gender diverse students at Memorial University. It provides information for navigating aspects of Memorial’s systems and campuses, as well as links to services and supports outside of Memorial that are relevant for trans and gender diverse students. This guide may also serve as a great resource for those supporting trans and gender diverse students. 

Memorial University’s Sexual and Gender Advocacy Resource Centre

Memorial University’s Sexual and Gender Advocacy Resource Centre (MUN SAGA) MUN SAGA provides a support and social group for lesbian, bisexual, gay, transgender, questioning, and other members of the Memorial LGBTQ+ community. Their office is a safe (and confidential) place where your student can be themselves, hang out with other LGBTQ+ people, and meet new people! They also have a growing library of resource materials and LGBTQ+-themed fiction and poetry that is available to anyone who needs it. Your student can contact MUN SAGA by calling 709-864-7619.

MUN Intersections

MUN Intersections - Memorial University’s Resource Center for Marginalized Genders At the centre, volunteers trained in crisis intervention are available for informal peer support and can provide referrals to various campus and community services. They have a Trans support group and an Asexual and Aromantic support group. Your student can reach out to the centre by calling 737-4366 or emailing

Memorial University Student Union

Memorial University Student Union (MUNSU) has two representatives that advocate for the LGBTQIA+ community on campus. The queer and transgender representatives advocate for the community as a whole by working with students to create better policy and aid for those who have been discriminated against. The trans representatives specifically advocates for the unique needs of the transgender community on campus either on a systemic level or by helping individual students with specific issues they need resolving. In addition to the queer and trans reps, the director of advocacy can work with LGBTQ+ individuals who require aid due to discrimination based on being part of a gender, sexual, or romantic minority. Your student can reach out to the representatives at MUNSU by emailing or

Trans Support Group

Trans Support Group: A peer-based support group that offers support to all trans individuals, individuals that exist outside of the cisgender binary, or individuals questioning their gender identity. This group is made to be a safer space. They are a completely confidential peer-based support group and together they decide when and where to meet, plan social events and discuss where they want the organization to go. Your student can reach out to the group by emailing

Human Rights Commission

Human Rights Commission receives, records and investigates written complaints from individuals that allege a violation of the Human Rights Act. This is where people can go when they’re being discriminated against because they belong to the LGBTQIA+ community. Your student can call 729-2709 to reach out to the Human Rights Commission staff.

Parents of Trans and Gender Diverse Kids

Parents of Trans and Gender Diverse Kids- Newfoundland and Labrador: a peer support group for parents of gender creative, gender questioning, and transgender children and youth in St. John’s NL. You can reach out to the group by emailing

PFLAG Newfoundland and Labrador

PFLAG Newfoundland and Labrador offers a monthly peer support group, your student can contact the group by emailing or, or by calling 709-351-2282.

Planned Parenthood

Planned Parenthood provides LGBTQIA+ support groups, pregnancy testing, pregnancy options, counselling from a social worker, physician clinics, emergency contraceptive information, testing and treatment for STIs. They also have Camp Eclipse for LGBTQIA+ youth. To reach out to Planned Parenthood, your student can call 579-1009 or 1-877-666-9847.

^Return to Top

4. Indigenous Students

The Circle

The Circle: First Nations, Inuit, & Métis Students Resource Centre is a space for building community, advocating for rights, planning events decolonizing and indigenizing campus, and learning about yourself. Your student can contact the centre by emailing

The Indigenous Student Resource Centre

The Indigenous Student Resource Centre is responsible for providing supports and services for self-identified Indigenous students. The office also works to educate the general university population regarding Indigenous peoples found within our province. The staff at the office are available to help Indigenous students adapt to an academic and urban environment. By offering programs and services, the IRSC strives to create a welcoming community for all Indigenous students. If your student is looking to reach out to the staff at the IRSC, please contact Valeri Pilgrim at or Tama Fost at

First Light

First Light: St. John’s Friendship Centre is a registered non-profit organization that serves the urban Indigenous and non-Indigenous community alike by providing programs and services rooted in the revitalization, strengthening and celebration of Indigenous cultures and languages in the spirit of trust, respect, and friendship. The First Light Childcare Centre is the province’s first and only Indigenous-run childcare centre. It provides childcare services to children ages 2-12 and is in the process of opening an infant room. To learn more about the First Light Childcare Centre contact Debbie Ingram by emailing or calling (709)738-8467, or by visiting their website.

^Return to Top

5. Mental Health and Wellness

Counselling Services

The Student Wellness and Counselling Centre at Memorial provides services for students dealing with a variety of issues, such as stress, depression, anxiety, relationship problems, family-of-origin conflict, loneliness, abuse, eating disorders, trauma, anger management, substance abuse, gender, and sexuality. Your student can book an appointment with the centre by calling (709) 864- 8500.

Printed Resources

Online Resources
  • Mental Health Week: Learn about mental health, share stories, and get involved. Mental Health Week is from May 4-10, 2020 and CMHA is providing many resources for everyone.
  • Bridge the gApp: This is an online resource designed to support mental wellness. The site includes resources for multiple mental health challenges and offers a toolbox with various options for wellbeing. Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
  • MUN Listeners: a free, anonymous, and confidential online chat for people who just need to talk. Assisting others has been proven to be therapeutic and rewarding. To speak with a listener use the password: mun_portal. To become an active listener use the password: mun_listener
  • WellTrack: Designed to help your student understand their mental health and to provide them with the help that they need right now. WellTrack is a suite of online tools and courses that uses aspects of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to help your student identify, understand and address issues that they are having.
  • CampusWell: Covers many university-related health issues including fitness, mental health, drug use, alcohol use, sexual health, and more.
  • Centre for Clinical Interventions: Topics include anxiety, assertiveness, bipolar, body dysmorphia, depression, disordered eating, health anxiety, panic, perfectionism, procrastination, self-compassion, self-esteem, sleep, social anxiety, tolerating distress, worry and ruminations.
Telephone Resources
  • Mental Health Crisis Line: (709) 737-4668/ 1-888-737-4668

Call if you feel like you are unable to cope, are thinking about suicide or if you are unsure where to turn for help. The Mental Health Crisis Line is a free, confidential service for individuals, family and friends. The crisis line is province-wide, 24 hours a day.

The Warm Line is a non-emergency, non-crisis telephone support and referral service. People with lived experience receive training to operate the service. Open 7 days a week, 11:00 am – 11:00 pm.

Kids Help Phone is Canada’s only national service offering professional counselling, information and referrals 24/7 by phone, Live Chat and the Always There chat app, through its free, and anonymous service. Young people can connect in both English and French for the support they need, in the way they need it most. Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

  • Crisis Text Line: Powered by Kids Help Phone, anyone in need regardless of age can text ‘Talk’ to 686868, to speak to a trained crisis responder.

Every texter is connected with a Crisis Responder, a real-life human being, trained to bring texters from a hot moment to a cool calm through active listening and collaborative problem-solving. All of our Crisis Responders are volunteers, donating their time to helping people in crisis. Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Community Resources
  • CHANNAL Peer Support Centre- (709) 753-7710

Community agency led by people who live with mental illness/mental health issues. CHANNAL offers one on one peer support, group peer support and public education and training. Open Tuesday - Friday from 10:00 am - 4:00 pm. Address: 70 The Boulevard, St. John’s.

Doorways provides rapid access to mental health and addictions counselling services ‘one session at a time’. While most locations offer a walk-in service, some locations provide same-day, next-day, or appointments by phone. Walk-in counselling services are available without an appointment or referral. If further counselling is required, staff will work with you to provide access to additional services and supports. Doorways is not an emergency service. In an emergency, call 911 or the Mental Health Crisis Line at 1-888-737-4668, or proceed to the nearest emergency department.

  • Mobile Crisis Response Team- (709) 737-4668

The Mobile Crisis Response (MCR) Team travels as a team to assist/intervene with a mental health-related crisis, in a person’s home or community. The team has significant experience in mental health. In addition, Mobile Crisis Response are able to accompany other healthcare providers in clients/patient community visits. Accessible from 11:00 am until 7:00 pm.

  • Choices for Youth- (709) 754-0446

Choices for Youth is an organization based in St. John’s that serves the needs of youth. They provide Housing/Housing/Shelter as well as various support programs for young people ages 16-29. For more information, please visit Address: 261 Duckworth Street, St. John’s (with additional housing locations: Shelter: 12-16 Carter’s Hill Place/ The Lilly (referral required): Bond Street)

  • Community Care Supportive Housing- Eastern Health- (709) 834- 0801

Provides 24-hour supportive lodging to individuals who are 19+ with a chronic and persistent mental illness. Services include residential and psychiatric care, case management, and therapeutic recreation. Address: 56 Mineral’s Road, Conception Bay South.

  • Mental health/Addictions Counselling/Case Management- St. John’s

Provides assessment and therapeutic counselling to individuals of all ages in the areas of mental health and addiction.

    • 3 West, St. Clare’s (709) 777-5390
    • LeMarchant House (709) 777-5622
    • Terrace Clinic (709) 777-3453
  • Naomi Centre- (709) 579-8641

Naomi Centre is an emergency shelter that offers safe and supportive temporary housing for women aged 16-30 within a harm reduction model. Our staff provide supportive counselling services and support is also provided to former residents of Naomi Centre. We accept self-referrals or referrals from others including health care providers, family counselling agencies, government departments, or family and friends of individuals needing emergency housing (referral required). Address: 4 Patrick Street, St. John’s.

  • Psychiatric Assessment Unit- Waterford Hospital- (709) 777-3021/3022

Provides psychiatric assessment 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and inpatient psychiatric care and psychiatrists on call in other regions. Address: 306 Waterford Bridge Road, St. John’s.

  • Health Sciences Psychiatric Nurse

Located in the Emergency Department at the Health Sciences Centre (General Hospital). Emergency Department open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Address: 300 Prince Philip Drive, St. John’s

  • Stella’s Circle- (709) 738-8390

Provides services to adults who face barriers from fully participating in the community, such as mental health challenges, lack of education, long periods of unemployment and poverty. Offers residential, community and correctional-based counselling, supportive housing, and employment preparation and skills development. Address: 142 Military Road, St. John’s

  • The Gathering Place- (709) 753-3234

Service centre committed to building community, promoting equality and providing nourishment for those seeking respite from isolation and loneliness. Address: 172 Military Road, St. John’s.

  • THRIVE Community Youth Network- (709)754-0536

Community agency providing educational programming, outreach services, and youth development opportunities to youth primarily 12 – 24 years. Open Monday – Friday 9:00-4:30 pm. Address: 807 Water Street, St. John’s

  • St. John’s Women’s Centre- (709) 753-0220

The St. John’s Status of Women Council in collaboration with MUN School of Social Work is launching Right Here, Right Now: A Women-centred Drop-In Counselling program. On Mondays and Tuesdays, from 12-6 pm we will offer brief single session therapy with a women-centred, trauma-informed approach. Drop-In available Tuesdays 12:00 pm – 7:00 pm and Wednesdays 12:00 pm – 5:00 pm. Address: 170 Cashin Avenue Extension,
St. John’s.

^Return to Top

6. Non-traditional Students

Students Older than Average

Students Older than Average (SOTA) helps mature students reach their greatest potential at Memorial University. SOTA recognizes that sacrifices are often necessary to attend university as a mature student, and can provide valuable advice and support. Your student can contact SOTA by email at or by phone at (709) 864-2158.

The Childcare Centre

The Childcare Centre programs are designed to provide a happy, relaxed environment that is conducive to supporting growth in all areas of development: social, emotional, cognitive, and physical. If you or your student is interested in registering your child for one of their many programs, please visit their website for more information.

The Child Care Subsidy Program

The Child Care Subsidy Program is an income-tested program designed to assist families with the cost of child care fees at regulated child care services. Click here to learn more about applying.

Provincial Resources for Single Parents

The Department of Advanced Education, Skills and Labour offers many programs and services to single parents. These include financial benefits and incentives to return to work or school. Click here to learn more about provincial resources.

^Return to Top