All requests for accommodation (e.g., additional time to write a test) must be based on documented need, in accordance with the Accommodations for Students with Disabilities policy. It is the responsibility of the individual requesting an academic accommodation to provide the necessary documentation to the Blundon Centre.

Documentation acceptable to the university

Documentation acceptable to the university must be obtained from the appropriate healathcare providers, or other professionals who have specific training, expertise, and experience in the diagnosis and treatments of conditions for which academic accommodation is being requested. In addition, all persons submitting documentation must be appropriately certified and/or licensed to practice their professions.

Supporting documentation should outline the particular diagnosis(es) and nature of the disability, along with an outline of of the functional impacts/barriers that the disability presents specifically as they relate to the pursuit of post-secondary education.  

Supporting documentation may include recommendations for specific accommodations, but students and providers should be aware that staff within Accessibility Services (Blundon) will make the ultimate decision about which accommodations are appropriate, necessary and reasonable and whether or not the documentation is sufficient to support the accommodation request.

Diagnostic services

While the university does not assume the cost of diagnostic services, Accessibility Services (Blundon Centre) staff can provide information on methods for obtaining documentation.  This can include services offered through the Student Wellness and Counselling Centre (SWCC) or in the community.  Again, these services are not covered by Accessibility Services (Blundon Centre).

Accessibility Advisors can also work with students to identify potential funding sources that might cover some or all of the costs associated with diagnostic testing (e.g., private health insurance programs and/or the Canada Study Grant/Canada Student Loans Program).