Parents & Supporters FAQs

Questions? Click a question to jump to the answer!
1: What kind of online orientation is going to be available for my student?
2: What are some of the differences between high school and university?
3: How can my student purchase their textbooks?
4: How do I pay tuition?
5: How can my student find a part-time job during the semester?
6: My student has chosen a degree, but I don’t think they will be able to find a job after they graduate. What should I do?
7: How does Memorial support my student’s safety?
8: What are some warning signs that demonstrate my student is struggling with their mental health?
9: How can my student opt-out of health insurance?
10: If my student is having trouble academically where can I direct them for help?
11: Who can my student call if they are distressed or in crisis?
12: My student is living in residence, how does residence life at Memorial support the well-being of students?
13: Why can’t I see my student’s grades or financial information?
14: How can my student get more information on Accessibility at MUN?
15: How can my student access the library?
16: Are there computer labs available for my student to use?
17: How can my student get a campus ID?
18: How can I order Memorial apparel for my student?
19: My student wants to take a course that is impractical. What should I do?
20: When does registration open for next semester?


1: Your student can kick start their first year at Memorial by attending Virtual Orientation. At Virtual Orientation, your student can connect with other students, learn about Memorial student resources and start their transition into university life!

Return to top

A. Independence in studying, learning and thinking
i. Your student is directly responsible for their success. Discipline and good study habits are up to your student.
ii. The course syllabus is a “contract” between instructor and student, laying out expectations and outcomes.
iii. Study groups are highly encouraged.
iv. Experiential learning (learning by doing and reflecting) is a large part of the university experience.
v. Critical thinking based on evidence and independent thought is encouraged and expected at all levels.

B. Your students’ learning choices are varied at University
i. Choices of courses to benefit your students’ interests, passions, and their degree path.
ii. Choice of schedule of classes, and online and in-class learning platforms.
iii. Choice of a wide variety of co-curricular activities to complement your students’ university experiences.

C. Your students’ university community is more diverse
i. There is a wealth of university clubs and societies on campus that want to share their passions, activities, and experiences with other students.
ii. The student community is larger and more diverse. There are a ton of new friends waiting to be met!
iii. There will be people who do not think like your student, act the way your student does, or look like your student! Encourage your student to take the time to learn about other cultures and other points of view.

Return to top

3: Due to COVID-19, the Memorial University Bookstore is re-opening at a significantly reduced capacity for in-person customers on Monday, August 10. However, the reduced capacity means that students and supporters should anticipate long lines and wait times. Encourage your student to order their textbooks online and picking up their order, or have it shipped to them, to reduce in-person wait times and the risks involved. Please visit the Bookstore website to shop online for textbooks.

Return to top

4: Due to COVID-19, the Cashier’s Office wickets are closed for in-person transactions. Cheques and tuition vouchers can be mailed to one of the addresses noted below, and several online methods of payment are available. 

Cashier's Office
Memorial University of Newfoundland
Arts and Administration Building
230 Elizabeth Avenue
St. John's, NL
A1C 5S7 Canada


Bursar's Office
Grenfell Campus, Memorial University of Newfoundland
20 University Drive
Corner Brook, NL
A2H 5G4 Canada


Cashier’s Office
Fisheries and Marine Institute of
the Memorial University of Newfoundland
P.O. Box 4920
St. John’s, NL
A1C 5R3 Canada

Return to top

A. Opportunities for your student to Work on Campus
i. Memorial’s Undergraduate Career Experience Program (MUCEP) is an on-campus employment program for undergraduate students aimed at providing work experience. This program provides a dynamic array of on-campus employment opportunities from undergraduate research, to program planning and customer service. MUCEP offers valuable learning opportunities that will complement your students’ academic studies.
ii. The International Student Work Experience Program (ISWEP) is an on-campus part-time employment program for undergraduate international students and English as a Second Language (ESL) students with a valid study permit.
iii. The Student Work and Service Program (SWASP) is funded by the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador and was designed to reduce the debt load of students. It offers valuable employment opportunities applicable to your program of study and career objectives as well as a tuition credit.

B. Opportunities for your student to Work Off-Campus
Help your student to view and apply to job postings! Tell your student to:

  • Go to MyMUNLife and login
  • Click the “Student” or “Alumni” link near the top of the page
  • Click “Launch” in the “Student Services” box, and then click “MyMUNLife in the pop-up window
  • Click on “Career” and then the “Job postings” tab

Help your student protect themselves from job scams with these tips from Student Life:

  • Do not send bank account/credit card details, or personal information to anyone that you don’t trust.
  • Never deposit cheques from an “employer” who asks that you deposit the cheque and return all or a portion of the payment back to them.
  • Do not agree to pay any upfront fees to an “employer” before you have started working. Examples for such requests can include fees for: training, application processing, background checks, etc.
  • Be aware of job ads that promise substantial salaries for seemingly minimal work.
  • Exercise caution when applying for jobs with limited or vague job descriptions, or if you are offered a job without needing a resume or interview.
  • Do your research! Check to see if the company has an online presence and professional email address. Look for spelling errors in email addresses, contact names, phone numbers, etc.
  • If you suspect a job posting is fraudulent, notify Career Development as soon as possible with the job title and ID.
Return to Top

Encourage your student to speak with a career advisor. Career advisors can help your student if they are:

  • Early in their academic journey and are unsure of their program choice and/or career options.
  • Considering a program change and need some career planning guidance.
  • Looking for summer or part-time employment.
  • Approaching graduation and are focused on securing full-time meaningful employment.

B. The career advising centre can coach your student as they explore their strengths and interests so that they can make informed career-related decisions. Your student can book a 30-minute appointment with a career advisor for:

  • Career planning advising
  • Employment advising

C. Career advisors also offer employment mock interviews!

D. Your undergraduate student can book an appointment with a career advisor through Navigate, a free mobile app that connects students to the online resources they need to get things done at University.

Return to Top

A. Campus Enforcement and Patrol provides a number of services to the campus community such as patrolling campus buildings and grounds; securing campus buildings; responding to incidents and emergencies; conducting investigations; liaising with first responders such as the RNC; monitoring campus life safety systems such as fire, panic, and burglar alarms; and parking administration including permits and ticketing. Campus Enforcement and Patrol Officers are trained in first aid, CPR, and emergency response procedures (fire, bomb threat, medical emergencies, etc.).

B. MUN Safe App: Make sure your student downloads MUN Safe app so they can be informed about emergencies and campus-wide closures.

C. Personal Safety Resources to help your student learn more about personal safety.

Return to Top

If your student is struggling with their mental health or has a mental illness, they may:

  • Isolate themselves from their family and peers.
  • Demonstrate persistent changes in eating, sleeping, and activity levels.
  • Have a decreased interest or pleasure in work, hobbies or activities that they previously enjoyed.
  • Refuse to attend classes.
  • Experience weight loss or weight gain.
  • Demonstrate a diminished ability to think or concentrate.
  • Express that they are fatigued and have decreased energy.
  • Be irritable or sad for most of the day, nearly every day for at least two weeks.

Source: Know the Signs, Bridge the gApp (2020). 

Please visit the Mental Health and Wellness section in our Toolbox to learn more about online, university, telephone, and community resources that can help support your student’s mental health.

Return to Top

A. Domestic Students
Health insurance at the St. John’s campus is administered by the Students’ Union (MUNSU). If your student has alternative health and dental coverage, they may opt-out of either or both plan(s). The deadline to opt-out is September 23rd, 2020. To opt-out, visit the Students' Union website.

B. International Students
All registered international students are automatically enrolled in the Foreign Health Insurance plan. To discuss the eligibility of public health care(Medical Care Plan or MCP), opting out of the Foreign Health Insurance, or transferring into one of the student union plans, you and your student should review international health insurance information and contact the Internationalization Office.

Return to Top

A. At Memorial, there are many academic help centres to assist your student with their studies, staffed by senior students who have experience with that subject. If your student is struggling with a particular topic, question or assignment in one of their courses, they should see if there is a help centre that can assist them. Until further notice, students should contact help centres via email or phone as Memorial is currently limiting the number of people on campus to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

  • Chemistry First-Year Help Centre
  • Computer Science Help Centre
  • Digital Learning Centre
  • Economics Help Centre
  • ESL Resource Centre
  • Cahill Engineering One Student Success Centre
  • French & Spanish Help Centre
  • German Student Resources
  • Math Help Centre
  • Physics Help Centre
  • The Commons
  • Writing Centre

B. The Blundon Centre (Student Life) supports all students who experience barriers to accessing post-secondary education. If your student is dealing with a permanent or temporary disability, they should reach out to one of the student learning accessibility advisors at the Blundon Centre so they can discuss test, exam, and classroom accommodations. Your student can also contact the Blundon Centre to request accessible parking, specific housing arrangements, and alternate format textbooks. Also, make sure your student knows about Clockwork, the Blundon Centre’s online accommodations system so that they can easily request accommodations each semester. 

C. Learning Strategies Resources: Having the proper environment for studying at home, as well as strong time management skills will help your student to transition to remote learning. CITL has prepared these quick guides to help your student be more successful:

  • Preparing for Remote Learning: Study Space
  • Preparing for Remote Learning: Time Management
  • Remote Courses vs Online Courses.
  • Completing and Submitting a Brightspace Quiz
  • Submitting an assignment with Brightspace Assignments
  • Accessing an Online Room Session
  • Participating in an Online rooms session
  • Presenting with Online Rooms
  • Viewing an Online Room Recording

D. Study Skills Clinics & Groups are offered by the Student Wellness and Counselling Centre to help your student if they have encountered difficulties with academic coursework at Memorial. The services vary from interactive clinics, to the three-credit hour course in learning skills. If your student would like to inquire on availability, please encourage them to call (709) 864-8500.

Return to Top

A. If your student is in need of urgent support call Campus Enforcement and Patrol Office 864-4100 and an immediate response will be activated. Emergency situations include:

  • Concerned for immediate safety
  • Experiencing or witnessing behaviour that is violent, destructive, harmful, aggressive or threatening to others.

B. Other local, non-urgent numbers are listed below:

  • 24-hour Mental Health Crisis Line: 737-4668 (local) or 1-888-737-4668 (province-wide).
  • Crisis Text Line: text “Talk” to 686868
  • Mobile Crisis Response Team: 1-888-737-4668 St. John’s Region.
  • Psychiatric Assessment Unit: 777-3021 or 777-3022 24 hour Walk-in CrisisService at the Waterford Hospital Site on Waterford Bridge Rd.
  • Health Sciences Emergency Department on Columbus Drive in St. John’s 777-6335.
Return to Top

A. Residence Staff are live-in employees that can provide guidance and support for your student.

B. Residence Assistants (RAs) are part-time, live-in student staff who work to create an environment that will support your students’ educational pursuits, academic success personal and community development. RAs provide guidance and support for residents experiencing roommate conflicts, homesickness, mental illness, transition issues, as well as a number of administrative duties.

C. Residence Coordinators (RCs) are live-in employees that supervise and provide support, guidance and direction for students and RAs. Residence coordinators are responsible for creating a safe and secure learning environment for your student. All residence coordinators have experience living in residence and undergraduate degrees. Many of our residence coordinators have full-time careers in education, human services, or related fields.

D. Residence Counselling offers free counselling for students living in residence, counselling sessions are confidential and are designed to provide support to students in non-emergency situations. Offices are located in Hatcher House. Your student can reach out to make an appointment by calling (709) 864- 7260 or by emailing

Please visit the Residences website to learn more about the support services available to students living in residence. 

Return to Top

A. Unless your student shares their personal, academic or financial information with you, you cannot have access to their information even if you are paying their tuition fees. Memorial University has a Privacy Policy that ensures that the University protects the privacy of its students, employees, alumni, donors, research participants, retirees, and others whose personal information is in the University’s custody or control.

Return to Top

A. If your student would like to learn about Accessibility at MUN, they should reach out to the Blundon Centre! The Blundon Centre (Student Life) supports all students who experience barriers to accessing post-secondary education. If your student is dealing with a permanent or temporary disability, they should reach out to one of the Blundon Centre’s student learning accessibility advisors so they can discuss test, exam, and classroom accommodations. Your student can also contact the Blundon Centre to request accessible parking, specific housing arrangements, and alternate format textbooks. Also, make sure your student knows about Clockwork, the Blundon Centre’s online accommodations system so that they can easily request accommodations each semester.

B. Disability Information & Support Centre (MUN DISC): offers peer support for disability-related topics, to advocate for the rights of students and raise awareness of these topics within the university and in the community. The centre works to remove barriers faced by students with disabilities and aims to promote a more accessible education and campus. Your student can contact the centre on Facebook, by calling (709) 864-7993, or by emailing

Return to Top

A. All libraries on all campuses are currently closed until further notice to prevent the spread of COVID-19. However, your student can:

  • Access print books and other circulating materials (that are not available online) through Memorial’s new contactless pickup service.
  • Connect with our librarians from home via Memorial’s online chat service. Memorial’s librarians will be available via chat 7 days a week, including evenings!
  • Find sources for their course assignments:

B. Use OneSearch to find and use scholarly online resources.

C. Pick a topic from our research databases page and use a database to find resources.

D. Some databases include the full text and/or the Get It @Memorial link, a shortcut to OneSearch. Databases tell your student what’s published on a topic (MUN doesn’t own it all). OneSearch tells you what MUN has access to. But databases often give your student more information about resources than OneSearch can.

E. For help, your student should try our online chat.

F. Your student can also check out the Library Research Essentials tutorial, available to every student as a course in Brightspace.

G. If your student needs something we don't own, or that we only have physically in one of our branches, they can complete our Request for Library Materials form and we will do our best to get your student what they need.

H. For textbooks, your student can sign up for an account with their university e-mail address and search for free textbooks in VitalSource or Redshelf.

I.  Access e-reserves for course materials your students’ professor put on reserve.

Return to Top

A. The following computer labs remain open for students who do not have personal computer access for remote learning:

  • C-2003 in the Chemistry/Physics building, St. John’s campus, open 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. on weekdays, 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. on weekends. Black and white printing is available at five cents a page. Your student should ensure there are funds available on their campus card before printing.
  • EN-3000 in the Engineering and Applied Science Building, St. John’s campus, open 8 a.m.-8 p.m. on weekdays, and 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on weekends. Printing not available.

Please note that Memorial University will be following the guidelines established by public health officials to ensure students practice social distancing in these rooms (we have enhanced cleaning for these rooms). A maximum of ten people will be allowed in each room at any given time. If your student has access to their own computer, please ensure they do not come to campus to use lab computers. Current guidelines are subject to change depending on public health regulations. 

Return to Top

A. Due to COVID-19, Memorial is asking all students to request their Campus Cards online through, under the “Student Services” tab. This option may only show up once your student has the ability to register for courses. When your student is making their selection, they must request their card as a distance student (they need to check the “not on St. John’s campus” option). All Campus Cards requested online will be sent to your students’ home address.

B. Your student needs to attach a piece of government-issued photo ID (passport, driver’s license, military ID) to their request (photo or scan) to verify their address and identity. If your student has an upcoming exam and has yet to receive a Campus Card, they may present a piece of government-issued photo ID to write their exam.

Return to Top


A. Due to COVID-19, the Memorial University Bookstore is re-opening at a significantly reduced capacity for in-person customers on Monday, August 10. However, the reduced capacity means that students and supporters should anticipate long lines and wait times. The Memorial Bookstore prefers that students and supporters purchase apparel online and pick up their order, or have it shipped to them, to reduce in-person wait times and the risks involved. Please visit the MUN Bookstore website to shop online for apparel.

Return to Top

A. If you or your student is worried about their selection of courses, your student should reach out to the Academic Advising Centre (AAC). Academic advisors can:

  • Help your student understand degree requirements, university policies and academic procedures.
  • Assist your student in making an informed decision when selecting a major and/or a minor.
  • Answer your students’ academic questions and concerns, or connect them with the right unit/person.

If your student wants to book an appointment with an academic advisor, they should download Navigate - a free mobile app for undergraduate students at the St. John’s campus that can help your student interact with student supports and schedule appointments, navigate requirements, stay on top of important dates and deadlines, and learn more about Memorial University.

Return to Top

Registration opens for undergraduate students on November 2, 2020. However, your students’ registration date and time will depend on their GPA. An email will be sent to your student’s MUN email notifying them of their registration date and time.

Return to Top