Career Events and Programs
Career Development offers a number of events and programs to help you build your professional network and develop your career skills.
Our rotating career-related workshops are held online and open to everyone. Check out the Student Life calendar to see upcoming workshops. Registration is required. The link to join the session will be sent to your email upon registration. Our regular weekly workshop series includes the following topics:
- Job Search Strategies
- Searching for a job can be a full-time job! Come learn effective strategies for navigating the job search process.
- Career Exploration
- Are you exploring or planning your career and looking for advice? Attend our workshop to learn about the steps you can take towards navigating your career path.
- Developing a Successful Resumé and Cover Letter
- A professional resumé and cover letter are critical to securing an interview in today’s competitive job market! Learn how to market yourself effectively so you stand out and make a positive impression. This session will help you to prepare and tailor a resumé and cover letter that clearly reflects your education, experience and skills to ensure that your documents are directly relevant to the position you are applying for.
- Interview Tips
- Do you get the interview jitters? Need some advice and information on interview etiquette? Come to the Interview Skills Workshop to learn about the interviewing process and how to answer behavioural and situational-based questions.
- Virtual Networking
- Networking is an essential part of any job search and is often hailed as the most effective strategy for uncovering opportunities. We can still maintain and develop our professional network even as industry professionals are working remotely. In this presentation, learn how to build a professional network online, effective online platforms in which to do so, and tips on how to be an effective virtual networker.
- Creating Your LinkedIn Profile
- This workshop concentrates on the role of LinkedIn for job search and networking and provides guidelines for creating an effective profile. Come learn about how to best market yourself through LinkedIn, build your network, and find jobs.
Plus many others added each semester!
The annual Career and Graduate School Fair takes place every fall with 100+ exhibitors in attendance eager to meet with Memorial students and alumni.
The month of November is national #CareerMonth. Join us for a month of programming and workshops, to start thinking about your own career journey.
Taking place annually the first week of March, this week is packed with career development and exploration opportunities. Whether you are looking for professional development, networking opportunities, or a summer job, during Career Week there is something for everyone.
At this one-day career boot camp, you will develop key skills to obtain meaningful employment. Interactive sessions will concentrate on career exploration, job search, networking tips, interview skills, and advice from employers. Great for students preparing to graduate! Click here for more details and to sign up.
Creating your Career Game Plane is a six-week-career exploration program aimed to empower students to recognize, foster, and apply their interests and strengths towards the selection and achievement of their career goals. Collegiality is a key feature of the program and is aimed to encourage professional relationships that foster community and a sense of belonging. Apply here.
The Professional Skills Development Program (PSDP) helps international students prepare for professional employment in Canada. PSDP is free and open to all international students. Apply here.
The Graduate Transition to Employment Program (GTEP), coordinated through Career Development (Student Life), and funded by the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, is an incentive for employers in Newfoundland and Labrador to hire Memorial University graduates.
Powered by the Hunter Hub for Entrepreneurial Thinking at University of Calgary, Experience Ventures enables students to make an impact alongside real-world innovators through paid entrepreneurial thinking placements. Learn more about the program and the types of placements here.