Academic Accommodations

Academic Accommodations may be implemented in order to reduce or remove barriers faced by students as a result of a disability and may be applied to your learning and evaluation in an academic program or particular course, and/or, to university activities and services.

An academic accommodation is a change or extension of university resources, or of teaching or evaluation procedures, designed to meet the particular need of a student with a disability while maintaining academic integrity of the course, program, or assignment and ability to demonstrate acquisition of the body of knowledge or the skill required for passing a course and/or completing an academic program as determined by the academic unit subject to all university regulations.

All requests for accommodation (e.g., additional time to write a test) are based on documented need. It is the responsibility of the individual requesting an academic accommodation to provide the necessary documentation to the Blundon Centre.

Accommodations are assessed on an individual basis, and include:

Our guidelines for accommodations provide more information to assist students, instructors, and staff in understanding, developing and implementing accommodation requests. Please contact the Blundon Centre for specific questions.

How to request accommodations on the St. John's Campus

  1. Students must provide documentation to the Blundon Centre that specifies the nature of their disability, including a diagnosis, functional limitation and, where appropriate some specific recommendations for accommodations. One of our accessibility advisors will meet with you to review the documentation and discuss an academic accommodations plan that best meets your learning needs.  
  2. Each semester, students should contact the Blundon Centre to arrange Test/Exam and Classroom Accommodations through our Clockwork system (use your my.mun login to access the system). You can use the online system to request accommodations for your courses, schedule a test or midterm during the semester, or book your final exam.

Accommodations for online courses

Accommodations are available for students with disabilities who are taking online courses through CITL.

Students should request academic accommodations for online courses through the Blundon Centre and provide the necessary documentation. The Centre will work with CITL to arrange accommodations for the student's online course.

Students can find information about the dates, times and room numbers for online exams and tests by checking:

  • The D2L/Brightspace page for the specific online course - go to the Online Course Checklist and then Exam Information or
  • The Distance Education menu in Self Service - then go to the Exam Schedule.