Requesting Leave in Phases 1, 2 and 3
Any non-attendance, planned or unplanned, must be reported to the UGME office by submitting a "Medical Student Leave/Exam Deferral Request" form. Approval for the leave and/or exam deferral must be granted by the Phase Lead. Submission of the "Medical Student Leave/Exam Deferral Request" form does not guarantee approval of the request. Students will be notified by UGME once the leave request has been approved by the Phase Lead. Students must not proceed with any arrangements (e.g. travel, conference booking) prior to receiving approval.
- In Phases 1, 2, & 3 it is the responsibility of the student to verify which session(s)/assessment(s) are considered mandatory as outlined in the Attendance Guidelines. If the student is unsure about the session(s)/assessment(s) he or she plans to miss, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students can only miss a limited number of Clinical Skills sessions. Refer to the Clinical Skills Leave Limits page for more details.
Leave request submission in Phases 1, 2 & 3
- Complete a "Medical Student Leave/Exam Deferral Request" form and drop it off to the UGME office or email it to email@example.com. The “Medical Student Leave/Exam Deferral Request” form is available on the UGME website at www.mun.ca/medicine or in hard copy at the UGME office. Students should provide as much notice to the UGME office as is reasonably possible.
- Once a completed "Medical Student Leave/Exam Deferral Request" form is submitted, UGME staff will act on the student’s behalf to seek approval from the Phase Lead.
- In special circumstances where advance notice is not possible (e.g. sick leave), the UGME office must be contacted by telephone (709-864-6305 or toll free at 1-855-884-8463) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Contact email@example.com for any questions or concerns about leave.
Requests for examination deferral are to be made by submitting a "Medical Student Leave/Exam Deferral Request" form and contact the Office of Learner Well-Being and Success with their request. Once the Office of Learner Well-being and Success has been consulted regarding the examination deferral, the completed and signed "Medical Student Leave/Exam Deferral Request" form must be submitted to the UGME office for approval by the Phase Lead.
Types of Leave
Refer to the following links for detailed information regarding each leave type and any required documentation: