Remote learning technology requirements for fall 2020
With guidance from the Centre for Innovation in Teaching and Learning, feedback from academic units, and input from the Senate Committee on Undergraduate Studies, Memorial University has developed general technology standards for remote/online learning across Memorial’s campuses in fall 2020.
In some cases, units have technology requirements that differ from those outlined below. Students will hear directly from the units where requirements differ. In the majority of circumstances, the standards outlined below are sufficient for studying in Memorial’s remote teaching and learning environment.
Available bandwidth and internet connectivity varies across Newfoundland and Labrador, as well as in locations around the world that are home to Memorial students. Memorial is committed to to access and equity in a remote teaching and learning environment and is working to implement appropriate solutions to student access issues. Details will be shared with students as they become available.
Students with disabilities who are seeking academic accommodations and accessibility services are encouraged to contact the Blundon Centre.
Minimum technology requirements for students enrolled in remote courses:
Experience with computers
- Basic level of comfort using a personal computer (file management, word processing, and printing)
- Experience using modern web browsers such as Edge, Firefox, Safari or Google Chrome
It is required that you have access to a laptop or desktop computer with the following specifications:
- Windows PC or Mac with a recent and actively supported operating system (e.g.: Windows 10, macOS 10.13+, able to run modern web tools.
- 4 GB RAM
- Free hard drive space to adequately run software and work on course files
- Speakers or headset for listening to audio/video or participating in synchronous sessions
- Microphone and webcam (headset with microphone preferred) for participating in synchronous sessions
- Display: Full color monitor
- Latest version of Edge, Firefox, Safari or Google Chrome
- Complete the Browser Check to see if you support the minimum requirements for Brightspace
- Complete the Cisco Network Test to see if your computing environment supports the minimum requirements for Webex.
- Regular access to high speed internet access (e.g. DSL, Cable, Fibre) with an upload and download speed of at least 3Mbps
NOTE: If a student does not have adequate Internet access at their place of study, they should make every effort to access a location that enables a minimum level of required access to the recommended speed.