B.Eng., M.Eng. (Memorial), Dr.Tech., Lic.Tech. (Helsinki), P.Eng
Contact InformationPh: 709-864-8970
I'm a graduate of Memorial University's undergraduate co-op engineering program (1988) and also did a master of engineering degree at MUN (1990). Following that, I did further graduate studies at Helsinki University of Technology where I obtained a Licentiate of Science in Technology degree (1993) and a Doctor of Science in Technology degree (1995). I returned to Canada in 1996 to work at the National Research Centre's (NRC's) Institute for Marine Dynamics where I stayed until I joined Memorial.
I joined the Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science in 1998 as the Terra Nova Project Junior Research Chair in Ocean Environmental Risk Engineering. I teach in the ocean and naval architectural engineering discipline. In addition to teaching, I have also served as the chair of the ocean and naval architectural engineering program, the director of the Ocean Engineering Research Centre (OERC) and associate dean of Research. In 2013, I was appointed the Husky Energy Chair in Oil and Gas Research.
Most of my work is done in team settings that involve students and researchers from universities, research institutions, industry and government. The team setting fosters innovation and provides an exciting, supportive learning environment. I'm also involved in several professional associations, including the Royal Institution of Naval Architects and the Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers.
- Husky Energy Chair in Oil and Gas Research (2013 to present)
- Transport Canada’s Marine Safety Award, 2011
- Carbon Trust's OWA Competition Winner, 2010
- Employer’s Award for Exemplary Learning Opportunity (Marine Simulation Group), 2010
- Canadian Forces Liaison Council – Civilian Employer Recognition, 2009
- Memorial University President’s Award for Outstanding Research, 2004
- Dean’s Award for Exemplary Service for Faculty, 2002-2003
- Petro Canada/Terra Nova Project Junior Research Chair in Ocean Environmental Risk Engineering (1998 to 2008)