We have gathered a number of links to resources that our pharmacist preceptors may find helpful. There are links to educational resources, including teaching tips and preceptor courses.
Online Preceptor Training Programs:
UBC Practice Educators Resources and Training
- Provided with permission from the Office of Experiential Education, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of British Columbia.
- Account required. Easy sign-up with your email address. Open to all.
Dalhousie Preceptor e-Learning Course
University of Alberta Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
Modules are intended to support both new and experienced preceptors with developing their foundational teaching skills, and learn about best practices for working with a student. Each module will take approximately 30-40 minutes to complete.
- Module 1: Developing Effective Teaching Strategies At Your Practice Site
- Module 2: Integrating Learners Into Your Daily Practice
- Module 3: Feedback
- Module 4: Student Performance Assessment
AHS eLearning Preceptor Modules
UWO Health Sciences Preceptor Education Program
Recommended Reading and Links:
Hammer D. Improving Student Professionalism During Experiential Learning. Am J Pharm Educ. 2006;70(3). Article 59.
Sylvia LM. A Lesson in Clinical Reasoning for the Pharmacy Preceptor. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2019; 76:944-952.
Weitzel KW, Walters EA, Taylor J. Teaching clinical problem solving: A preceptor’s guide. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2012; 69:1588-99.
Koons K, Sincavage S. Precepting skills for precepting challenges. J Am Pharm Assoc. 2012;52:e273-e276.
Teaching Skills for Pharmacy Practice Educators
Preceptor Qualities that Create a Great Learning Environment
Five Microskills for One-on-One Teaching