Frequently Asked Questions
1. Who will benefit from Memorial's PharmD for Working Professionals program?
Licensed pharmacists who wish to advance their knowledge and skills and attain a PharmD degree while continuing to work.
2. What does the PharmD for Working Professionals program look like?
The program is designed for practicing pharmacists who wish to obtain a Doctor of Pharmacy degree. This part-time program includes a combination of online courses, face-to-face clinical skills courses, and experiential learning.
3. Is Memorial's PharmD for Working Professionals program accredited?
CCAPP does not accredit PharmD bridging programs. In the past, post-baccalaureate PharmD programs were accredited, however, going forward they will not be accredited once their current award expires.
4. What is the structure of the program?
The program will incorporate four components:
- Online learning - a variety of learning technologies to best present the course material in an effective and accessible way.
- Face-to-face clinical skills courses - two onsite clinical skills courses are planned and each will run over three days. Courses will be scheduled Friday through Sunday.
- Applied Learning courses - interspersed throughout the program, this hybrid model of online learning and structured activities will be incorporated into your practice site. This is an innovative method to incorporate coursework and experiential learning while improving your professional practice setting.
- Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experiences (APPE) - full-time placements that will be completed at the end of the program.
5. What are the requirements for the Applied Learning courses?
The Applied Learning courses will require the application of the content in a practice setting. If you are unable to complete the activities at your practice site, you will be expected to find suitable environments to meet the requirements of the course.
6. What is the duration of Memorial's program?
As of Fall 2020, students can complete the program in three to five years and are encouraged to follow a three-year option, four-year option, or five-year option map.
7. Will I need to come to Memorial campus to complete the program?
Yes, two onsite clinical skills courses are required. The first is scheduled for the Fall semester of year 1; the second is planned prior to the Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experiences. The remainder of the program will be delivered through online learning and through pharmacy practice experiences.
8. Who can be considered for admission?
To be considered for admission, an applicant:
1. must be a licensed pharmacist in good standing with the licensing body; and
2. must have graduated with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited Canadian Pharmacy program or the former pharmacist diploma program from the Newfoundland and Labrador College of Trades and Technology; and/or have successfully completed the Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada (PEBC) Qualifying Exam.
Priority is given to applicants who are residents of Newfoundland and Labrador or who graduated from Memorial’s School of Pharmacy.
The application deadline is February 1st.
9. When will the program be available?
The program accepted the first cohort of students in Fall 2018.
10. Can I continue to work full-time while completing the program?
Yes. The Working Professionals program was developed for working pharmacists. Students in the program will need to complete two 6-week rotations.
11. Why should I choose the PharmD for Working Professionals at Memorial?
- Competitive tuition
- Learn at your own pace and schedule
- Leader in online learning
- Just two short visits to campus
- Apply your knowledge and skills through an applied learning model
- Only two six-week advanced pharmacy practice experiences required
12. What is the tuition for this program?
Effective September 2022, tuition for the program is $505 per credit hour.
- Miscellaneous Fees and Charges: http://www.mun.ca/regoff/calendar/sectionNo=REGS-0252
- Centre for Innovation in Teaching and Learning (CITL): http://www.mun.ca/regoff/calendar/sectionNo=REGS-0061