Sharing our knowledge
Here you can find the latest publications by our Cannabis Health Evaluation and Research Partnership team. Updated resources and information will be added as they become available.
Public education and events
Cannabis Crossroads Webinar Series - Fall 2021
Session 1: Safe Access to Cannabis
With the legalization of non-medical cannabis in Canada, there are now options that provide safe methods for accessing cannabis. During this panel discussion, Taylor Giovannini, Ryan Hawco, and Paul Seaborn discuss the access of cannabis through licensed and unlicensed markets, provide insights into some of the regulations surrounding access, and discuss the evolving retail market including adaptations to regulations that have happened in response to consumer insights.
Session 2: Cannabis and the Workplace
With the recent legalization of non-medical cannabis in Canada, there are new concerns about cannabis use negatively impacting workplace safety. During this panel discussion, we will explore both employers’ and employees’ perspectives and responsibilities with keeping the workplace safe, while recognizing those who require cannabis for medical purposes.
Session 3: Cannabis Use and Driving
Cannabis has been shown to negatively impact one’s driving ability similar to alcohol; however, public awareness and attitudes towards the risks of driving under the influence of cannabis are not in line with this reality. Studies have shown that cannabis consumption reduces concentration and attention span, slows reaction time, and alters perceptions of time and distance. During this panel discussion, Dr. John Weber, Retired S/Sgt. Stephen Conohan, Dr. Jennifer Donnan and Dalainey Drakes will discuss the evidence on cannabis driving impairment, how law enforcement handles it, and the perceptions of risk among drivers.
Session 4: Information about Medical Cannabis
During this continuing education session on medical cannabis and harm reduction, we discuss current evidence around medical cannabis use, how we can support our patient population with respect to cannabis, and how patients can access medical cannabis.
See a presentation by Dr. Jennifer Donnan on the impacts of Cannabis legalization on youth and young adults in Newfoundland and Labrador:
- Using a public engaged approach to identify priority areas for cannabis policy evaluation. Lisa Bishop (presenter), Jennifer Donnan and Maisam Najafizada (contributors). Canadian Association for Health Services and Policy Research (CAHSPR) 2021 Annual Conference (virtual). May 19-21, 2021
- Consumer preferences for attributes of cannabis products: A qualitative assessment of drivers of purchase decisions. Jennifer Donnan (presenter), Omar Shogan, Lisa Bishop, and Maisam Najafizada (contributors). Canadian Association for Health Services and Policy Research (CAHSPR) 2021 Annual Conference (virtual). May 19-21, 2021
- Najafizada M, Donnan J, Bishop L. Using Twitter to analyze the impact of COVID-19 on Cannabis Consumption in Canada. CCSA's Issues of Substance 2021, November 23–25, 2021. (virtual) Accepted
- Donnan J, Bishop L, Najafizada M, Blackmore A. Impact of Cannabis Legalization on School Age Youth. Canadian Centre for Substance Use and Addiction (CCSA) Issues of Substance Conference 2021, November 23-25, 2021 (virtual). (accepted)
- Grandy C, Donnan J, Bishop L. A descriptive study of perinatal substance use on maternal mental health. Public Health 2021, October 7-9, 2021 (virtual).
- Shogan O, Donnan J, Bishop L, Swab M, Najafizada M. Characteristics that Influence Purchase Choice for Cannabis Products: A Systematic Review. Canadian Society for Pharmaceutical Sciences (CSPS) 2021 (virtual). May 31-June 3, 2021
- Arifurr Rahman, Lisa Bishop, Jennifer Donnan, Maisam Najafizada. A content analysis of cannabis-related tweets in Canada. Canadian Association for Health Services and Policy Research (CAHSPR) 2021 Annual Conference (virtual). May 19-21, 2021
- Jennifer Donnan, Omar Shogan, Lisa Bishop, Michelle Swab, Maisam Najafizada. Characteristics that influence purchase choice for Cannabis Products: A Systematic Review. Canadian Association for Health Services and Policy Research (CAHSPR) 2021 Annual Conference (virtual). May 19-21, 2021
- L. Bishop, J. Donnan, M. Najafizada. Identifying priority areas for cannabis policy evaluation: considering youth health and safety. Cannabis Knowledge Exchange Forum 2021 (virtual). Feb 4, 2021
- O’Leary B, Bishop L, Donnan J, Najafizada M, Dong Z. Using Social Media to Explore Public Opinions and Perceptions on Cannabis Legalization. Memorial University School of Pharmacy Research Day, St. John’s, NL. November 27, 2020.
- Shogan O, Donnan J, Bishop L, Swab M, Najafizada M. Characteristics that Influence Purchase Choice for Cannabis Products: A Systematic Review. Memorial University School of Pharmacy Research Day, St. John’s, NL. November 27, 2020.
Cannabis 101: Burning questions about CBD, THC and everything in between. The Gazette, Memorial University of Newfoundland. April 20, 2021
Cannabis legalization in Canada. Weekend Mornings on CKNW with Stirling Faux. 980 Global News Radio CKNW, Vancouver, British Columbia. Lisa Bishop and Jennifer Donnan. March 14, 2021
Cannabis education. Kitchener Today with Brian Bourke. 570 News, Kitchener, Ontario. March 8, 2021
How do you feel about the recreational cannabis regulations in our province? Cross Talk with Ramona Dearing, CBC Radio NL. Jennifer Donnan and Lisa Bishop. September 24, 2020
Read an article in the Gazette, Memorial's official news site, about CHERP's webinar series, Cannabis Crossroads: https://gazette.mun.ca/public-engagement/growing-knowledge/
Listen to one of our PIs, Dr. Jennifer Donnan, share about the work we're doing on The Wahl Show podcast: https://www.spreaker.com/user/mikewahl/cannabis-show-final-sept-2
View our "Cannabis 101" session, delivered in partnership with the Memorial Office of Alumni Engagement:
Check out the report detailing findings from our Newfoundland and Labrador cannabis policy needs assessment (PDF).
"Cannabis education should aim to normalize - not prevent - safe and legal use" (The Conversation Canada)
Najafizada M, Rahman A, Donnan J, Dong Z, Bishop L. Analyzing sentiments and themes on cannabis in Canada using 2018 to 2020 Twitter data. J Cannabis Res; 2022; 4(22) https://doi.org/10.1186/s42238-022-00132-1
J. Donnan, O. Shogan, L. Bishop, M. Najafizada. Drivers of purchase decisions for cannabis products among consumers in a legalized market: A qualitative study. BMC Public Health. 2022; 22(368). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-021-12399-9
J. Donnan, O. Shogan, L. Bishop, M. Swab, M. Najafizada. Characteristics that Influence Purchase Choice for Cannabis Products: A Systematic Review. J Cannabis Res 2022; 4(9) https://doi.org/10.1186/s42238-022-00117-0
Grandy C, Donnan J, Bishop L, Vidyasankar A, Blackwood A. An Update on Perinatal Cannabis Use. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Canada. October 2021 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jogc.2021.10.009