Frequently Asked Questions

  • How many terms does the university have?


    Fall Session – September to December
    Winter Session – January to April
    Summer Session – May to August

  • How can I obtain a funding package?

The Master of Engineering and PhD programs offer competitive funding packages to each admitted student at the time of admission. No separate application is required.

  • Do I need a TOEFL or IELTs score if I have finished a degree that was instructed in English?

No. A statement from your institution to verify that your program was instructed in English will be considered a sufficient proof of English proficiency.
Further details about English proficiency requirement can be found at

  • Is a supervisor required before I apply?

    No. You do not need a supervisor before filing an application. Supervisor(s) will be assigned once an application for M.Eng. or PhD is accepted. To identify potential supervisor(s) and research area(s), you may check faculty profiles at

Students admitted to course-based MASc. and graduate diploma programs do not need supervisors.

  • Do I need to submit GRE scores?

No. GRE is not required. However, you can submit your score if you do have one. A high GRE score can improve your chance of acceptance.

  • Can I contact a professor directly?

Yes, that will help to enhance your application. Please check professors’ research profiles at

  • Will my admission offer be sent to me by courier?

    No. The admission letter will be sent to the email address inbox provided on your application. This scanned copy shall be sufficient for your visa application, if necessary.
  • Can my application be considered if it is submitted after the application deadline?

    Applications made after the deadline will be considered if resources are available. For instance, if funding and supervisor can be allocated, admissions for thesis-based M.Eng and PhD programs can be made. If resources for admission review is available for course-based MASc. and graduate diploma programs, admissions will be made.

  • Can I transfer credits from another institute?

    Yes. A maximum of two courses from another institution can be transferred to a master of engineering or PhD program. A maximum of three courses from another institution can be transferred to a master of applied science program. Please note that the courses from another institution for which the credits are transferred to Memorial University shall not be used to fulfill the requirements for another degree.

To request the transfer credits, please submit the required documents such as course descriptions and the official transcript. The official transcript shall be in a sealed envelope from the institution.

  • Is an internship required for completing my program?

    Internships are not required for completion of graduate programs, but are optional. Students who wish to complete an internship are responsible for securing their opportunity. Once an opportunity is secured, the program route can be adjusted to an internship route. Students are highly encouraged to attend career development sessions offered by Memorial. Details about career development support can be found here:
  • Does the department offer teaching assistant positions?

Yes, for students in master of engineering or PhD programs. Please see

  • I have submitted my application, but I have not heard if I have been accepted?

The admission decisions on applications programs are made in January to April. Applicants are notified about the decisions by email.

Please check application status online

Unfortunately, details regarding the application review will not be released.

  • Can I apply to your graduate program if my previous education was in a different field (e.g. electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, mathematics, physics or biology)?

Yes, you can, but only if your background is relevant. An endorsement from a perspective supervisor at Memorial University will be helpful.

  • Will I be eligible for P.Eng. licensure after I complete and receive a master’s or Ph.D. degree from a graduate program in engineering?

    A degree from a graduate program in engineering does not ensure eligibility for a P.Eng. license. An applicant must hold an undergraduate engineering degree from a Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board-accredited undergraduate program or possess equivalent academic qualifications. The P.Eng. licensure in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador is governed by the Professional Engineers and Geoscientists Newfoundland and Labrador (PEGNL). Please check the PEGNL website at or contact PEGNL by email at