New Graduate Students - M.Eng / PhD
Welcome to your graduate studies in the Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science!
* The Winter 2019 Semester starts on Thursday, January 3, 2019.
NOTE: Memorial University and the Graduate Offices will be closed for holidays from Monday December 24, 2018 – Wednesday January 2, 2019
Join the Associate Vice-President (Academic) and Dean, Graduate Studies for an interactive Q & A on how to be successful in your graduate program! Attend on campus or online.
Date and Time: Friday, January 4, 2-3 pm
Mode: On-campus or online
Location: Bruneau Centre, Beatrice Watts Boardroom, IIC 2014
Presenter: Dr. Aimée Surprenant, Associate Vice-President (Academic) and Dean, Graduate Studies
- Please Review Information for New Graduate Students
- School of Graduate Studies (http://www.mun.ca/sgs/newstudents/) has listed steps for you to prepare for your graduate studies at Memorial.
- If you are an international student, please review the information for new international students (http://www.mun.ca/international/students/) and register at the Internationalization Office after you arrive.
- Attend One of the Orientation Sessions for Graduate Students in Engineering
- 10 a.m., Thursday, January 3 2019 (Location: EN4000)
- 10 a.m., Friday, January 4, 2019 (Location: EN4000)
- 10 a.m., Monday, January 7, 2019 (Location: EN4000)
NOTE: Check in time is 10 a.m. to 12 p.m, Monday to Friday from January 3, 2019 to January 11, 2019 in EN4036, EN4039, and EN4040 in the S.J. Carew (Engineering) Building. After January 11, please drop in 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Bring Us Your Documents
- When you come to the orientation session, please present us with your Study Permit, your Admission Letter and the Program of Study Form. (You may not have the Program of Study Form if you are given a conditional admission.)
- If you are given a conditional admission letter, please present the documents specified in the letter.
- Registration Online
- Please set up your account at my.mun.ca.
- Register Courses - Click “Launch Memorial Self-Service” after logging in my.mun.ca. Register courses in “Add and Drop Courses”. All graduate students in engineering are required to register ENGI9000. The registration instruction can be found at https://www.mun.ca/regoff/registration/how/gsteptoregister.php. Course offerings and schedules for each semester are listed at http://www.mun.ca/engineering/graduate/current_students/
- Please consult with your supervisor for course selection for each semester
- TA Training - This training is required before applying for a TA position. Please register SC1807 (CRN 91192) for this lab safety training. Once complete, please submit the grade to our office by email.
- Other Documents (required within the first two weeks after semester begins)
- Social Insurance Number (SIN) Card - Please present us your SIN card. All students are required to obtain a Social Insurance Number (SIN) in order to have your funding set up. An application can be made at St. John’s Human Resources Centre Canada, 223 Churchill Avenue, Pleasantville St. John’s, NL A1A 1N3 Phone 1-800-206-7218 www.servicecanada.gc.ca
- Please fill out below forms and submit them to our office, EN4036
- Application for Direct Deposit, if you are receiving financial support (example)
- Consent to Provide Limited Personal Information about HQP to NSERC
- Consent Form for Student Experience Office
- LabNet Account - If you need access to LabNet, please go to www.cs.mun.ca/labnet/login.html. Follow the instructions on the page. This will set up the LabNet account and sync the passwords with your my.mun.ca account.
- English Enhancement Course for International Students.
Graduate students who were required to submit a proof of English language proficiency (IELTS, TOEFL, CAEL, etc.) must complete an English enhancement course, ENGI9155 Technical Writing for Graduate students in Engineering. Please register and complete this course during your program of study.
- Other Things You Need to Know
- Fees - You can find the fee charges in “Financial Information” on “Self-Service”. Fee Payment Deadline is the first day of class. Fees may be paid online through self-service, telephone banking, or in person at the Cashier’s Office, in ,A-1023 in Arts & Administration Building.
- Payroll deduction - Graduate students who wish to have their tuition paid from the bi-weekly financial support can sign up for payroll deduction online through MUN self-service. Once sign in MUN self-service, you could click “Employee Services” and then the “Graduate Student Payroll Deduction Request”. This payroll deduction has to be done once every semester. Current students could make the request online 24 hours after the registration. New students will be able to make the request on the first day of classes.
- Office Space - New students will be assigned an office space in their 3rd semester. Please refer to the office space policy at http://www.mun.ca/engineering/graduate/current_students/. There are temporary drop-in spaces available in EN2041 and EN2064.
- Update Your Mailing Address - All mails from School of Graduate Studies, Registrar’s Office, Cashier’s Office, etc. will be sent to your address on self-service. Please update your current/local mailing address immediately by using the student self-service.
- Course Evaluation - A student shall obtain at leave 65% in each course taken for credit. A student shall obtain a minimum average of 75% in order to maintain the fellowship status.
- Check MUN email on regular basis - Once the MUN email is set up on your my.mun.ca account, please make sure to check this email daily, as all messages from the University will be sent to this MUN email, not your personal email.