Provincial Health and Safety legislation requires that Memorial ensure the health and safety of its employees and students. All students enrolled in chemistry courses will be exposed to chemicals and therefore are required to complete Science 1807 (Safety in Science Lab) and Science 1808 (WHMIS). In order to have access to the online courses, students must register for SC 1807 and SC 1808 through Memorial Self-Service. No tuition is charged for this course.
Chemistry Laboratory Safety in Teaching Labs
- Approved safety glasses or goggles MUST be worn at all times in the laboratory. Safety glasses or goggles must be worn over prescription glasses. Contact lenses MUST NOT be worn in the laboratory.
- An approved (knee length) lab coat must be worn at all times and must be buttoned up. Safety goggles and lab coats can be purchased at the bookstore.
- Clothing that exposes large areas of skin to contact with chemicals, e.g., shorts, leggings, etc., are not allowed. Leg coverage (regular pants) should be to the ankle.
- Shoes that cover the entire foot must be worn. Open-toed shoes, flip flops, ballet slipper-style shoes or sandals MUST NOT be worn.
- Baseball caps should be worn backwards and long hair must be tied back. Jewellery that dangles should be removed.
- Eating and drinking are NOT PERMITTED in the laboratory.
- PPE should not be worn in public areas (i.e., halls, offices, washrooms, etc.).
- You should know where safety equipment (fire extinguishers, safety showers, eye wash fountains, etc.) is located in the laboratory and how to use it. You should also familiarize yourself with the quickest exit route from the laboratory and from the building in case of emergency evacuation. Read the safety information given in the laboratory manual for each course.
Laboratory Safety Enforcement
Students will not be permitted in the laboratory if any of these safety regulations are not followed. If the student remains noncompliant, he/she will receive an unexcused absence.
If a student later defies the safety rules during the laboratory period, the student will be asked to leave and receive a mark reflective of the work completed to that point.
In the case of students who are taking their first ever chemistry laboratory at MUN, the clothing requirements can be relaxed (for their 1st lab only) if they are not able to change clothing/shoes. However, PPE safety policies will be strictly enforced. Goggles are available at the stock rooms for sign out during the lab period.