Information for International Applicants

International graduate students Fatemeh Sajadi and Azam Sayadi present their research to Canadian Minister of Science Kirsty Duncan and Dean Aimee SurprenantThe Department of Chemistry has one of the most diverse communities of graduate students in Canada. Our M.Sc. and Ph.D. programs have students originating from more than a dozen countries around the world, including Iran, China, and India. Many Canadian universities have reduced funding to international students, but instead Memorial offers many generous scholarships to qualified applicants. Canada is a friendly nation that welcomes students from abroad. Many of our students choose to immigrate to Canada after completing their degrees. Additional funding is available to applicants from Korea, Mexico, and Turkey through the Strategic Country Fund.

Tuition and Funding

Memorial University provides the same level of funding for international students as we do for Canadian students. The tuition fees are much lower than at other universities. Some of our international students are also supported by institutional and government scholarships, including the J. Beryl Truscott Graduate Scholarship ($2000), NSERC Vanier scholarship ($50,000 p.a.), A. G. Hatcher Scholarship ($15000), and the Dr. Liqin Chen Scholarships ($3000-$5000).

Health Insurance

Canada has a modern and comprehensive health care system. International graduate students at Memorial are provided free health insurance through the provincial government. Additional insurance for dental care and prescription medicine are included in the standard graduate fees.

English Instruction

Memorial provides extensive services to help international graduate students integrate into the community and master English. International students are provided courses to learn English. Living in a welcoming, English speaking community provides our graduate students with excellent opportunities to become fluent in English during their degrees.

Study Permits

Foreign graduate students normally enter Canada on a student visa (study permit). Details and procedures are available from the nearest Canadian High Commission or Consulate. Application and interpretation of the immigration regulations are the responsibility of the individual immigration office. This process can take several months, so students should begin the process of obtaining a study permit as soon as an offer of admission is made.

 Farsi language letter Letter from Farsi speaking graduate students
Chinese language letter Letter from Chinese speaking graduate students
español Letter for Spanish speaking students
Việt Nam Letter from Vietnamese speaking students

Landscape around St. John's, Canada