"Canadian students should apply by March 1 to be considered for Fall (September) admission. International students who will require a study permit should apply by February 1. Applications submitted after these dates may be considered on a case-by-case basis, if requested by a potential supervisor."

School of Graduate Studies application forms can be submitted online. In the event that you wish to apply by mail, application forms may also be obtained by contacting:

Graduate Officer
Department of Chemistry
Memorial University of Newfoundland
St. John's, NL, CANADA
A1B 3X7
Phone: (709) 864-8773
Fax: (709) 864-3702
E-mail Inquiries: Melissa Petten

Admission is limited and competitive. To be considered for admission an applicant shall normally hold at least a second class B.Sc. degree or its equivalent. Candidates whose B.Sc. is not in chemistry but in a related field may be admissable.

Students whose language of instruction for their baccalaureate degree was not English are required to provide proof of proficiency in English. Official test scores must be sent directly to the School of Graduate Studies by the testing authority.

Completed application forms and official transcripts for all degrees, should be returned with the application fee to:

Office of the Dean School of Graduate Studies Memorial University of Newfoundland St. John's, NL, CANADA A1B 3X5

Letters of appraisal (on the appropriate forms) should be sent directly to the School of Graduate Studies by two referees.

Applications are accepted at any time and students are admitted in January, May, and September.

Applicants are encouraged to correspond directly with prospective supervisors.

Notice of financial support will normally accompany the letter of formal admission.

Information with respect to initial registration procedures will be forwarded to successful applicants by the School of Graduate Studies. Questions and requests for deferred registration should be sent to the Graduate Officer, Department of Chemistry.

All students who intend to register in a particular semester are required to be on campus by the registration date indicated in the letter of admission. Failure to meet this arrival deadline may jeopardize financial support from teaching assistantships.

Foreign graduate students normally enter Canada on a student visa. Details and procedures are available from the nearest Canadian High Commission or Consulate. Application and interpretation of the immigration regulations are the responsibility of the individual immigration office. It is particularly important to contact the nearest office as soon as possible after formal admission to expedite student visa and temporary work permits.