PhD, P.Eng., CIM Member
- Associate Professor
Contact InformationPh: 709-864-2604
- Chemistry of Materials
- Mineral Processing
Research InterestsMineral Processing; Hydrometallurgy; Chemistry of Materials
Dr. Yahui Zhang joined the Department of Process Engineering at Memorial University of Newfoundland in 2016. Before that, he was a professor in mineral processing and hydrometallurgy at Northeastern University in China. He also worked as a senior metallurgist in Beijing General Research Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (BGRIMM) for more than nine years.
He earned his first PhD degree in mineral processing from the Central South University, China, and a second PhD degree in materials engineering from the University of Alberta, Canada.
Having worked as a professor in mineral processing and materials engineering for more than a decade, he has taught major courses for undergraduate and graduate students in mineral processing, extractive metallurgy and materials engineering, including mineral flotation; hydrometallurgy; research methodology for mineral processing; practice and processes of metallic ore dressing; introduction to mining and metallurgical engineering; materials degradation in process facilities; industry pollution control/prevention; process mathematical methods; principles of chemical engineering; solid state chemistry; introduction to materials science and engineering; and engineering thermodynamics.
He has been a principal investigator of more than 20 research projects, and published more than 100 papers in peer-reviewed journals (such as Hydrometallurgy, International Journal of Mineral Processing, Minerals Engineering, Mineral Processing and Extractive Metallurgy Review, Chemistry of Materials, and Metal Mine) and conference proceedings, and filed 13 patent applications, of which eight have been granted.
With more than 20 years of research experience in mineral processing and extractive metallurgy, Dr. Zhang's research interests lie in the areas of mineral flotation, extractive metallurgy of rare earth elements (REE), precious and nonferrous metals, designing and finding of new reagents/resins for flotation and metal extraction, novel processes for wastewater treatment, and preparation of nanomaterials and nanopowders.
Selected Publications (Students bold faced)
- Yahui Zhang*, Zhidong Tang, John Shirokoff, “Study on flotability and surface oxidation of sulfide minerals from the tailing of an iron-copper mine using electron probe microanalyzer”, Mineral Processing and Extractive Metallurgy Review, 42(4), 213-221 (2021). DOI: 10.1080/08827508.2019.1707675
- Shams Anwar, Faisal Khan*, Yahui Zhang, Abdoulaye Djire, “Recent Development in Electrocatalysts for Hydrogen Production through Water Electrolysis” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 46(63), 32284-32317 (2021). DOI: 10.1016/j.ijhydene.2021.06.191
- Zhidong Tang, Peng Gao*, Yanjun Li, Yuexin Han, Wenbo Li, Stephen Butt, Yahui Zhang, “Recovery of iron from hazardous tailings using fluidized roasting coupling technology”, Powder Technology, 361, 591-599 (2020). DOI: 10.1016/j.powtec.2019.11.074
- Zhidong Tang, Peng Gao*, Yongsheng Sun, Yuexin Han, Erlei Li, Jia Chen, Yahui Zhang*, “Studies on the fluidization performance of a novel fluidized bed reactor for iron ore suspension roasting”, Powder Technology, 360, 649-657 (2020). DOI: 10.1016/j.powtec.2019.09.092
- Rene A. Silva, Yahui Zhang*, Kelly Hawboldt, Lesley Anne James, “Study on Iron-nickel Separation Using Ion Exchange Resins with Different Functional Groups for Potential Iron Sub-production”, Mineral Processing and Extractive Metallurgy Review (2019). DOI: 10.1080/08827508.2019.1678155
- Saeed J. D. Sofla, Lesley Anne James*, Yahui Zhang, “Understanding the behavior of H+ protected silica nanoparticles at oil-water interface for Enhanced Oil Recovery Implications”, Journal of Molecular Liquids, 274, 98-114 (2019). DOI: 10.1016/j.molliq.2018.09.049
- Yahui Zhang*, Lesley Anne James, Sohrab Zendehboudi, Qi Liu, “Application of brine electrolysis process in enhanced oil recovery”, ISCORD 2019, 12th Symposium on Cold Regions Development, 105-109, 17-19 June 2019, Oulu, Finland (2019).
- Rene A. Silva, Kelly Hawboldt, Yahui Zhang*, “Application of Resins with Functional Groups in the Separation of Metal Ions/Species – A Review”, Mineral Processing and Extractive Metallurgy Review, 39(6), 395-413 (2018). DOI:10.1080/08827508.2018.1459619.
- Shams Anwar, Yahui Zhang, Faisal Khan*, “Electrochemical Behaviour and Analysis of Zn and Zn-Ni Alloy Anti-Corrosive Coating Deposited from Citrate Baths”, RSC Advances, 8, 28861–28873 (2018). DOI: 10.1039/c8ra04650f.
- Hongxin Zhang, Hongchao Li, Ansheng Feng, Zhenxu Guo, Yahui Zhang*, “Application of Stirred Mill to Upgrading of Graphite Concentrate by Flotation”, Canadian Metallurgical Quarterly, 57(2), 245-251 (2018). DOI: 10.1080/00084433.2017.1409934.
- Yahui Zhang*, Douglas G. Ivey, “Electrodeposition of Nanocrystalline CoFe Soft Magnetic Thin Films from Citrate-stabilized Baths”, Materials Chemistry and Physics, 204, 171–178 (2018). DOI: 10.1016/j.matchemphys.2017.10.043.
- Susan Caines, Faisal Khan*, Yahui Zhang, John Shirokoff, “Simplified electrochemical potential noise method to predict corrosion and corrosion rate”, Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, 47, 72–84 (2017). DOI: 10.1016/j.jlp.2017.02.023.
- Yahui Zhang*, Qi Liu, Li Li, “Removal of Iron from Synthetic Copper Leach Solution Using a Hydroxy-Oxime Chelating Resin”, Hydrometallurgy, 164(9), 154-158 (2016). DOI: 10.1016/j.hydromet.2016.06.004
- Yahui Zhang*, “Mirror Symmetry Rule for the Interaction between Flotation Reagents and Mineral Interfaces”, Nonferrous Metals (Mineral Processing Section), (4), 90-96 (2016). (In Chinese)
- Ye Gao, Yahui Zhang, Nan Zhou and Yang Gao, “Experimental Study of New Collectors Used in Reverse Flotation of XuanLong-type Oolitic Hematite Ores”, Conservation and Utilization of Mineral Resources, (05) 34-37(2017). (In Chinese).
- Dahai You, Yahui Zhang, “Sulfatizing Roasting - Chlorine Salts Leaching Tests of Gold-containing Slag from Sulfuric Acid Production”, Gold, 37(1), 67-71(2016). (In Chinese)
- Xuanwu Li, Yahui Zhang, Zhiwu Lei, Anping Wu, Li Li, Huanhuan Hong, “Magnesium Decrease and Quality Improvement of Nickel-Copper Mixed Concentrate in Jinchuan Based on Citric Acid-Modified Starch Combination”, Metal Mine, 44(7), 64-68 (2015). (In Chinese)
- Yahui Zhang, Bo Tu, Gang Long, Dahai You and Huanhuan Hong, “A Roasting Pretreatment for Extracting Gold in Slags from Sulfuric Acid Production”, Chinese Patent, Application No. 201410270663.5 (2014).
- Yahui Zhang, Bo Tu, Gang Long, Dahai You and Xuanwu Li, “A Process for Dearsenization and Desulfurization of Gold Ores with High Arsenic and Sulfur Contents”, Chinese Patent, Application No. 201410269525.5 (2014).
- Yahui Zhang, Shuyun Fang, Junwei Huang, Dongdong Chen and Wenmao Tu, “A Depressant for Gangue Minerals in Graphite Ore Flotation and Its Application”, Chinese Patent, Application No. 201410249589.9 (2014).
- Yahui Zhang, Zhao Cao, Yongdan Cao and Chuanyao Sun, “FTIR Studies of Xanthate Adsorption on Chalcopyrite, Pentlandite and Pyrite Surfaces”, Journal of Molecular Structure, 1048, 434–440 (2013).
- Zhao Cao, Yahui Zhang and Yongdan Cao, “Reverse Flotation of Quartz from Magnetite Ore with Modified Sodium Oleate”, Mineral Processing and Extractive Metallurgy Review, 34 (5), 320–330 (2013).
- Ye Gao, Yahui Zhang and Guangzun Ouyang, “The Anionic Reverse Flotation Orthogonal Experiment for XuanLong Oolitic Hematite after Magnetic Roasting-magnetic Separation”, Advanced Materials Research, 826, 130-135 (2013).
- Chuanyao Sun, Yahui Zhang, Dianzuo Wang and Ning Ao, “A Leaching Process of Manganese Oxide Ores Using Phenol Compounds as Reducing Agents”, Chinese Patent, Application No. 95106747.8 (Granted in 1999).
- Chuanyao Sun, Yahui Zhang and Dianzuo Wang, “A Leaching Process of Ocean Manganese Nodules Using Aromatic Amines as Reducing Agents”, Chinese Patent, Application No. 94117547.2 (Granted in 1998).