Income Tax Program

List of Tax Clinics

Below is a list of tax clinics both on and off campus. Please be aware that some are Super Clinics, while others are regular tax clinics.

A regular tax clinic provides free tax assistance to people of modest income to file their taxes.

SuperClinic provides regular tax filing assistance. In addition, Canada Ravenue Agency (CRA) is present and able to provide information on benefits and credits, and assistance in person with a taxpayers account and Service Canada is present and able to help with Social Insurance Numbers (SIN) and other issues. 


  • MUN Super Clinic

March 22nd, 3-6 pm, for more information: Super Clinic

Location: Internationalization Office - CA2002

  • Marine Institute Tax Clinic

Every Tuesday from 5-7 pm (starting March 5 - April 30)

Location: Marine Institute Library (155 Ridge Road)

  • Graduate Student Union Tax Clinic 

Every Monday from 4 pm - 6 pm (starting March 11 - April 29)

Location: 216 Prince Philip Dr (Field Hall)



To explore the list of off-campus tax clinics click here.


We have a comprehensive list of helpful tips, steps on how to complete your tax return and step-by-step videos on how to file your taxes by your self.

Being an international student, the Canadian Tax system may look complex and difficult to grasp, but in reality, it is much simpler and easier to understand if we understand the basics of the tax system in Canada.


 Frequently Asked Questions:  common questions that students have about forms and where to find them, what forms you need, HST/GST and employment income.

Step 1: Gather documents & information for tax session

Step 2: Online instructions for filing Income tax

Step 3: What to expect or do after filing your taxes?

Step-by-step Tax Video Tutorials

Help for filing your tax return:

  • Tax video series:  specifically directed towards helping international students get their tax returns done.

You can also avail the following services:

  • Call the International Tax Services Office 1-855-284-5942 if you have any questions or call 1800-959-8281
  • The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVTIP) to have a volunteer assist you in completing your tax return. This program is for low income earners with simple tax returns, who cannot complete their return on their own. For information about this program, go to
  • The Institute of Chartered Accountants of NL in the past have offered free Income Tax Clinics for Seniors and Low Income. Call 753-7566 for an appointment.
  • Seek the help of a professional tax filing service


Create a UFILE Account. Students file free with Ufile regardless of their income. Enter code CFS1981 under the "Special Offer" section in the Ufile Interview menu. Thanks to the Canadian Federation of Students and Ufile online.

Why Should I Do My Taxes?

Most international students will qualify to be Canadian residents for tax purposes with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). If you have an apartment, a bank account, a bus pass, etc., it shows that you have residential ties to St. John's. As a resident of Canada for part or all of a tax year (January 1 to December 31), you must file a tax return if you owe tax; or if you want to receive a refund because you paid too much income tax in a tax year. Scholarships are not taxed. Generally, students do not pay income tax. Income tax that was deducted from your pay cheques should be returned.

You will also register to get a small credit on all the sales tax you pay. This is called the HST or GST Credit and is approximately $300 per year dependent on income, number of dependents you may have, etc.. You must be 19 years of age, to be eligible.  HST / GST CREDIT

You will begin accumulating tuition credits. This may not help you now, but if you remain in Canada after graduation, these tuition credits will significantly reduce the amount of income tax you have to pay when you start working. If you had taxes deducted from your paycheck last year, you should get most of it back.

If you have children (and once you have been a resident of Canada for 18 months) you will be registered for the Canada Child Benefit (CCB). This is a monthly payment from the government for the support of your children, and again requires annual completion of the income tax return for both you and your spouse. CANADA CHILD BENEFIT

If you prefer, you can complete a paper return and mail it with your receipts. The paper tax forms you need to fill out are available online.


  • If you arrived on or after January 1, 2022, you won't have to file a tax return until spring, 2023.
  • Information on the Canada Child Benefit (CCB): CCB
  • Students and Taxes:




Entering a T4: