Frequently Asked Questions


If you have questions about foreign health insurance:

  • Email Natasha at
  • Book an appointment with Natasha in Navigate. Download Navigate for Students in the Apple App Store or Google Play by searching for “Navigate - students.” For the desktop version, point your Firefox or Chrome browser to: and select Log In. Use your MUN Login ID and password to access Navigate for Students.

1. I am covered by the Foreign Health, what impact does COVID-19 have on my insurance?

For updates and information, visit the Guard Me website.

2. Why do I need MUNSU/GSU insurance in addition to MCP?
There are certain healthcare-related costs that MCP does not cover; an exhaustive list can be found at this website, but the most salient one on the list would be prescription drugs.
The MUNSU/GSU plan, provided by Green Shield Canada, acts as supplementary coverage to MCP, covering most of what it does not. In comparison, the Foreign Health Insurance plan  covers primarily emergent conditions (it does have up to $10,000 a year for non-emergent medically necessary visits). Plus, MUNSU/GSU coverage is 1cheaper than Foreign Health.

3. What is covered under the different components of health insurance? (MCP/MUNSU/GSU/Foreign Health?)
Under MCP, you will be covered for:
- Doctor’s visits
- Surgical, diagnostic and therapeutic procedures
- Pre- and post-operative care
- Maternal care
- Radiology services
- Certain in-hospital dental surgeries
For an exhaustive list, please see here.

Under MUNSU/GSU, you will be covered for:
- Prescription Drugs
- Hearing Care
- Medical Items and Services
- Emergency Transportation (Ambulance)
- Professional Services (Therapists, etc.)
- Accidental Dental
- Vision Care
Note: there is a monetary limit on the expenses you may claim through your MUNSU/GSU plan. For more details please refer to your detailed benefits booklet at:

Under Foreign Health, you will be covered for:
- Expenses associated with medical emergencies which take place after coverage begins
- Some non-emergent expenses
Log into with your policy number to read the full policy. 

4. How do I add dependents to my insurance?
Dependents of an MCP-eligible student should accompany them to the MCP office at 45 Majors Path and present appropriate immigration documentation (i.e. confirmation of their dependent relationship with the said student).
MUNSU/GSU policyholders must opt-in their dependents and purchase additional coverage for them through:
Foreign Health Insurance policy holders should visit to enrol their dependents.

5. Can I renew my MCP coverage if my study permit is valid for less than 12 months?
Pursuant to MCP regulations, the initial study permit submitted to register for MCP must be valid for more than 12 months. If you remain a full-time student in good standing at Memorial beyond the date your IRCC Study Permit expires, you MUST renew your Study Permit. If you do not have your renewed study permit back before your MCP expires, apply for MCP extension based on evidence you have applied to extend your study permit plus an updated enrollment letter proving full time student status. Proof of study permit extension includes the Confirmation of Submission letter from IRCC and a copy of your payment receipt. An updated Enrollment Verification can be requested from Memorial Self-Service.

6. How do I access my account, submit claims and receive refunds?
If you are on the MUNSU( or GSU ( plans, visit their website for information.
Submitting a claim to is simple: you’ll need to have your Policy or Certificate Number and Date of Birth handy, and input them here. will require scanned receipts and medical records, so don’t forget about them! You don’t need an account, but it is highly advisable that you create one on the website so as to be able to manage all your claims.