Health & Well-Being

Your family's health and well-being are of the utmost importance. Here you will find some common questions and answers about health-related services available to you and your loved ones.

As a registered student, you are automatically covered by Memorial's Foreign Health Insurance Plan, however your dependents are not automatically covered under this plan. If your spouse and/or children are accompanying you to Canada, you can opt-in your dependents into the Foreign Health Insurance Plan by visiting the Internationalization office and completing an opt-in form or to purchase insurance, go to and select dependents of students, as applicable. For more information, click here.

Is my family covered by GSU/MUNSU extended health insurance (Green Shield)?

Depending on your circumstances, you may be eligible to cancel your Foreign Health Insurance and transfer your health coverage to a student union plan if certain conditions are met.

Student union health insurance plans (MUNSU for undergraduate students and GSU for Graduate students) have different coverage than the Foreign Health Plan and are usually less expensive. For information about student health insurance plans, visit our health website. If you are covered by one of the student union health plans, you must contact them to find out how to opt-in your dependents to their health plan.

For information on the GSU extended health insurance click here.

For information on the MUNSU extended health insurance click here.

The program applies to any foreign individual issued an official study permit by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) before entering Canada. The student must be attending Memorial University for at least 12 months. The dependents of the student will also be covered under MCP, provided they are living in the province and have relevant documentation to support their application. The documents should be for a period of time of 12 months or greater. There is no coverage if less than 12 months. Coverage will become effective for eligible students and dependents on the date of full enrollment in full time studies at Memorial University.

For more information regarding MCP coverage, visit the Provincial Government of NL Department of Health and Community Services website.

The Student Wellness and Counselling Centre is available to current registered students of Memorial University. Children and spouses of students are welcome!

The clinic is located at: Student Wellness and Counselling Centre Memorial University of Newfoundland University Centre, UC-5000, 5th Floor

To book an appointment see here. 

For more information on walk-in clinics, local hospitals, medical emergencies, pharmacies click here.

Regarding immunizations and child immunizations please click here and here.


If you need advice on a medical issue call the NL health line at 811. A registered nurse provides callers with health advice and information 24 hours per day, seven days a week. All calls are confidential and free of charge. Services are available in English and French.

A 24-hour Mental Health Crisis line is also available.

For a list of other Help Lines, click here