Gather documents and information

Welcome to the IO's tax return completion guide. Here you will find step-by-step instructions to complete your tax forms. If you have arrived in Canada before January 1st, 2020; then you (as an international student) will probably have to file an income tax return for 2019.

All students residing in the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador should file an income tax return. To do so students must gather the following documents:

1. T2202 Slip (Tuition fee)
2. Insurance premiums (Health and dental insurance premiums)
3. T4 Slip (Employment Income)
4. T4A Slip (Scholarship/Funding non-taxable income)
5. T5 Slip (Sent by bank for an investment income- Not common for international students)
6. Other expenses (If required)

T2202 Statement:
All students who paid tuition fee at Memorial University will be issued T2202 form. You are eligible to download this slip from Memorial Self-Service under Financial Information, if you have paid for tuition.

Adding tuition fee to your tax return helps you to collect tuition credits which can be later used to lower your tax slab and get good amount of income tax refunded when a student starts working full time

Health Insurance Premiums:
This includes MUNSU, GSU, and Foreign Health Insurance fees. To get the accurate amount paid you need to visit Memorial Self-Service, Financial Information, View "Account Summary by Term". You may cut and paste the amount into the software directly when filing the tax return.

T4 Slip:
You would receive this slip if you have been working. Your employer is required to send you the T4 Slip on or before the last day of February following the calendar year to which the slips apply. The slips are generally mailed out by the employer to the address you provided during your recruitment.

Note: If you worked with MUN please check your MUN Self service, and if you have not received your forms yet, contact Financial and Administrative Services:

T4A Slip:
This is only applicable to those who received a scholarship, fellowship, or grant from Memorial University. Your T4A will be located in your self-service account (employee services tab). If you cannot view it, please contact your department and/or HR department at MUnat

T5 Slip:
T5 slip identifies the various types of investment income. If you have earned interest in your Canadian bank account, you should receive this t-slip by mail from your bank. This slip will be sent to your mailing address directly through post/mail.

Additional Documents that may be applicable:
• Other Medical/Dental expenses that you paid.
• Donations to registered charities and organizations.
• Official tax receipts for donations and charity.
• Safety Deposit Box Fee (if applicable)
• Notice of Assessment from CRA (applicable to repeat filers only)
• Bring your Direct deposit information from your bank (to initiate direct deposit for refunds)
• Individual Tax Number (ITN) Application (If no SIN)

Important Notes:

• In order to be able to file your taxes you need to have your Social Insurance Number (SIN) or an Individual Tax Number (ITN). If you do not have either of these, you need to apply for an Individual Tax Number.
• Remember to get your bank information to set up "Direct Deposit": bank account number, branch number and institution number.
• Make sure you have your correct and current mailing address including the postal code. This address should be the address where you want to receive your Notice of Assessment in (May or June). This is a summary of your income tax return.