Frequently Asked Questions

I am a potential sponsored student. Can you help me find a supervisor?

Some graduate programs require you to find a supervisor. We will do all we can to help you find a supervisor. Contact us at

What is the best way to contact a supervisor?

Once you have found a potential supervisor it is best to contact them via email. It is important you make a good first impression.

• Review the faculty member’s information online and become familiar with his/her research.

• Write a concise email to the faculty member you would like to work with. Introduce yourself, your academic credentials (GPA, academic awards, research experience, etc.), and the kind of research you would like to pursue and the reason for it.

• Advise him/her you have applied for a graduate program at Memorial University, note the intended start date, and ask him/her if he/she might be interested in serving as your supervisor for a program.

• Mention to them that you are a sponsored student or planning to apply for sponsorship and include the Financial Guarantee letter from your sponsor, if available.

Advice for the first Contact Email

• Consider how you address your potential supervisor. Try and include their name and the appropriate title for the person. For example if they are John Smith, PhD, address the email as “Dear Dr. Smith” or “Dear Professor Smith”. Salutations such as “Respected Sir” or “Dear Mr. Smith” will imply that you have not done enough research around the potential supervisor.

• Try to keep your email as brief as possible while also including the relevant information.

• Make sure you proofread your email ensuring no grammatical or spelling errors.

Should I mention to my potential supervisor that I am a sponsored student?

Yes. Mention in your first contact that you are a sponsored student or planning to apply for sponsorship and include the Financial Guarantee letter from your sponsor, if available.

Does my program require a supervisor?

Most thesis-based graduate programs require a supervisor. If you are unsure please visit the programs website or contact the department to find out more.

I contacted a potential supervisor but I haven’t heard from them. What should I do?

You can contact us directly and we will help you find a supervisor. If you have contacted a potential supervisor allow at least 2 weeks for them to respond. If you still haven’t received a response after 2 weeks you can send a gentle reminder email asking them if they have had a chance to read your email.

I have a supervisor- what next?

Once you have secured a supervisor you need to apply to your program through the normal process for graduate students. 

How do I notify Memorial that I am a sponsored student in my application?

Sponsored students are required to apply to Memorial University through the normal admission process. You should also contact us at informing them that you are a sponsored student and that you have submitted an application. Each sponsoring organization has its own application for sponsorship.

What are tuition and living costs at Memorial University?

Graduate tuition at Memorial University is among the lowest in Canada.

Newfoundland and Labrador offers graduate students a high quality of life due to its relatively low cost of living compared to other parts of Canada.

I have been accepted at Memorial. What do I need to do next?

Support with arrival and settlement

How do I go about getting housing?

You have an option to live on or off campus. Support can be provided around finding housing, although it is the student’s responsibility to finalize housing arrangements.

My sponsor is paying my fees. How do I pay?

You are responsible for ensuring your tuition fees are paid on time.

If you require third party billing let us know.

In order for MUN to invoice your sponsor you will need to provide a letter from your embassy including the following:
• MUN student number
• Full name of the student
• Period covered and description of eligible and ineligible expenses under the sponsorship program
• Permission to bill

How do I request a letter/document for my sponsor?

Enrollment verification

You can request your enrollment verification through Memorial Self-Service


You can request your transcript through Memorial Self-Service .

My question hasn’t been answered. Who do I contact for more questions around sponsorship?

If you have specific questions about applying for sponsorship please contact and/or the relevant sponsoring agency.