Driving in NL

Obtaining a driving license in NL

If you’re looking to obtain a driver’s licence in Newfoundland and Labrador (NL), here’s a step-by-step guide to help you navigate the process:

For Individuals Without a Valid Driver’s License from Their Home Country:

Step 1 – Apply for a learner’s permit

  • You are required to show the required identification and pass a written test and a vision test. Drivers can complete their class 5 learner permit test electronically through their MyGovNL account.
  • Use your email address to create an account and then, link your MCP card or Motor Registration issued photo ID to access the test.
  • Written test – You will be tested on the Road Users Manual. The exam will be graded while you wait. The passing grade is 85%. A manual can be purchased for $2.30 or get it online.
  • The Class 05 written test is available in English online. Class 05 written tests are also available in French and Ukrainian at all Motor Registration Division Locations
  • Vision test – Once you pass your learner’s permit, you must book an appointment for your vision test.

 Step 2 Road Test

After 12 months, you may take your road test. (If you complete an approved driver education course you can take the road test in 8 months). During those 12 months, you must have one other licensed driver with four years of experience in the vehicle with you. No other passengers are allowed in the vehicle with you.

  • For Scheduling a road test make anappointment and pay the fee for your road test before the end of your Class 5I novice period.
  • If you do not have a car to do the road test you may book a car through a driver training program, such as Here is the list of approved driving schools in NL.
  • Bring your payment receipt to the road test.


For Individuals with a Valid Driver’s License from Specific Countries:

If you hold a valid driver’s license from the countries: United States, Austria, Germany, Switzerland, The U.K. (excluding Northern Ireland) or the Republic of Korea, Ukraine, France, Isle of Man, Northern Ireland, Ireland, Japan, Taiwan.

  • You can exchange your existing license for a Class 5 Newfoundland driver’s license without taking a written, vision or road test provided: you are 17 years of age, your existing license is valid, and your license, if expired, has been for less than 5 years.
  • You must exchange your existing driver’s licence to a Newfoundland and Labrador driver’s licence within three months of becoming a resident.  Licences from another country or province must be submitted when you apply for your Newfoundland and Labrador licence.
  • You must complete a written, vision and road test. You will be given credit for the time spent as a licensed driver and may be exempted from the Graduated Driver Licensing Program.
  • Please note that this applies even if you have an International Driver’s License. If you wish to complete your Road Test before one year you will have to exchange your driver’s license from your home country.


For Individuals with a Valid Driver’s License from Other Countries:

Documentation required for the learner’s permit, photo identification card or exchange of foreign Driver’s license:

To qualify for a learner’s permit, photo identification card or driver’s licence you must be a resident of this province.

Any person who is taking up residency in Newfoundland & Labrador, who originates from outside of Canada, and who is applying for a learner’s permit, driver’s licence or identification card must provide proof of their legal presence in Canada, with one primary proof of legal presence and one secondary document or two primary documents (one of which must be an acceptable document for proof of legal presence) as listed within each category below.

Any person who is a Canadian resident will need two pieces of identification, with at least one being an original primary document and the second an original secondary document as listed within each category below:

Proof of legal presence and primary

  • Valid Foreign Passport with appropriate immigration documents
  • Permanent Resident Card or Immigration papers – Record of Landing
  • Study or Work Permit
  • Canadian Citizenship Card
  • Temporary Resident Permit
  • Secure Certificate of Indian Status Card (with the photograph)
  • Valid Canadian Passport


  • Government-issued Birth Certificate
  • Valid Canadian Passport
  • Canadian Armed Forces Identification Card
  • Municipal, Provincial or Federal Police Force Identification
  • Federal Firearms Identification Card
  • Photo Identification Card issued by the Motor Registration Division

 Note: if the name on the birth certificate is not your current name, you will require another original of documents such as a marriage certificate which specifies your current name.


  • Baptismal Certificate (with church seal)
  • Marriage Certificate
  • Social Insurance Card
  • Credit Card
  • School Identification Card (photograph: Newfoundland and Labrador schools only)
  • Government of Newfoundland and Labrador Employee Identification card
  • Photo Driver’s Licence from another Canadian jurisdiction
  • MCP Card
  • Health Care Board Card (Newfoundland and Labrador only)
  • or other documentation satisfactory to the Registrar

Note: You may produce two pieces of identification from the primary list but CANNOT ACCEPT TWO PIECES OF IDENTIFICATION FROM THE SECONDARY LIST.

For the list of complete identification documents please click here or visit:

Motor Registration

149 Smallwood Drive, Mount Pearl, NL, A1B 4J6

Phone: (709) 729-2519

FAX: (709) 729-6955

Website: Motor Registration - Government of Newfoundland and Labrador


Other useful Recourses:

Different class of licence: In Newfoundland and Labrador, you must have a valid driver’s licence for the kind of vehicle you wish to drive. Please see this link for the classes of driver’s licences and the types of vehicles that can be driven with each class.

Translation of Driving Licence in English language: If your driver’s licence is in any language other than English or French, an English translation of the licence is required. Please see this link for more info about it.

Vehicle Ownership: Please see this link for buying and registering a vehicle.