Study and Stay
Study and Stay NL
Your future belongs here!
Are you an international student in or entering your final year of study in Newfoundland and Labrador? Do you want to live and work here after graduation? Have you considered starting your own business? Apply now to receive the tools, resources, support, and connections needed to launch a successful career, business and fulfilling life in in Newfoundland and Labrador. Selected participants will be supported in their transition from student to professional and budding entrepreneur.
What is the Study and Stay NL Program?
The Study and Stay NL Program is a collaborative initiative of International Education Newfoundland and Labrador (IENL), Memorial University of Newfoundland, and College of the North Atlantic (CNA). It is a free online program for exceptional, motivated international students in or entering their final year of full-time study at MUN or CNA who are committed to living, working and contributing to communities in Newfoundland and Labrador. This province-wide program connects students directly to the local entrepreneurial ecosystem, labor market, and mentors in view of helping them build valuable professional and entrepreneurship skills, workplace knowledge, and meaningful connections through workshops, networking. and mentorship.
The goal of the Study and Stay NL Program is to support international students to stay, live, work, and startup businesses in NL post-graduation. The program provides participants with valuable essential skills, resources, and support as they transition from student to professional and budding entrepreneur.
What are the benefits for international students?
Selected participants receive one-on-one and group support throughout the program to ensure they gain the resources, tools, and connections needed to launch a successful career and fulfilling life in Newfoundland and Labrador. The program offers a combination of training, resources, and guidance and provides opportunities for students to apply their skills, build connections and gain an understanding of the local workplace culture, labour market opportunities, and entrepreneurial ecosystem.
We also offer the province's second-largest business pitching competition - awarding up to $25,000 in prizes to our entrepreneurial students in our annual SEED pitching competition.
• Workplace and Local Culture
• Personal and Soft Skills Development
• Career and Labour Market Support
• Networking and Industry Engagement
• Access to Immigration Resources and Support
The program will begin accepting applications for the next cohort starting on August 21, 2023 with an application deadline of September 20, 2023. Interested applicants should be committed to living and working in Newfoundland and Labrador post-graduation and demonstrate leadership and initiative. Those who are interested in becoming an entrepreneur are strongly encouraged to apply.
To be considered for the program, students must be in or entering their final year of full-time study at MUN or CNA. Chosen applicants must complete all program tasks and activities and participate in a mandatory student retreat and conference.
Eligibility and Requirements
Acceptance into the Study and Stay NL Program is a competitive process. Before you apply please make sure you are eligible and meet all of the mandatory requirements below:
• Are you registered as a full-time international student, in or entering your final year of study at MUN or CNA?
• Are you in good academic standing at your institution?
• Do you have a valid study permit? Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents do not qualify for this program.
• Upon time of graduation, will you be eligible to apply for a Post Graduate Work Permit?
• Are you available to attend a mandatory program retreat on October 28th and a networking conference in April 2024?
• Do you have a LinkedIn profile ready to upload?
Before you apply please prepare a short Statement of Intent that will help with the review of your application as a candidate for the program. This is an opportunity for you to ‘pitch’ yourself by telling us a little about yourself, why you would make a good candidate for the program, how you will benefit the program, and what you will contribute to the province as a graduate.
Application and Selection Process
• Applications will be screened online and through a short interview with program staff.
• Applicants will be notified about their status in the program.
• If selected, students must be available to attend a mandatory program retreat and a conference.
• The program is free for selected students.
• The next application deadline is September 20, 2023.
If you require any additional information about the Study and Stay to become an entrepreneur in Newfoundland and Labrador, please contact the following Program Coordinators:
Linda Spingle email@example.com (
Hillary King firstname.lastname@example.org (East Coast)