Income Tax Program

Step 1: Gather documents & information for tax session

Step 2: Schedule for income tax session

Step 3: Follow our online tax instruction to file for your taxes

Create a UFILE Account. Students file free with Ufile regardless of their income. Enter code CFS1981 under the "Special Offer" section in the Ufile Interview menu. Thanks to the Canadian Federation of Students and Ufile online.

Why Should I Do My Taxes?

Most international students will qualify to be Canadian residents for tax purposes with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). If you have an apartment, a bank account, a bus pass, etc., it shows that you have residential ties to St. John's. As a resident of Canada for part or all of a tax year (January 1 to December 31), you must file a tax return if you owe tax; or if you want to receive a refund because you paid too much income tax in a tax year. Scholarships are not taxed. Generally, students do not pay income tax. Income tax that was deducted from your pay cheques should be returned.

You will also register to get a small credit on all the sales tax you pay. This is called the HST or GST Credit and is approximately $300 per year dependant on income, number of dependants you may have, etc.. You must be 19 years of age, to be eligible.  HST / GST CREDIT

You will begin accumulating tuition credits. This may not help you now, but if you remain in Canada after graduation, these tuition credits will significantly reduce the amount of income tax you have to pay when you start working. If you had taxes deducted from your paycheck last year, you should get most of it back.

If you have children (and once you have been a resident of Canada for 18 months) you will be registered for the Canada Child Benefit (CCB). This is a monthly payment from the government for the support of your children, and again requires annual completion of the income tax return for both you and your spouse. CANADA CHILD BENEFIT

If you prefer, you can complete a paper return and mail it with your receipts. The paper tax forms you need to fill out are available online.

Where Can I Get Help?

There are several ways to obtain help in filing in your taxes:

  • Come to an IO tax session for assistance.
  • Call the International Tax Services Office 1-855-284-5942 if you have any questions or call 1800-959-8281
  • Avail of the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVTIP) to have a volunteer assist you in completing your tax return. This program is for low income earners with simple tax returns, who cannot complete their return on their own. For information about this program, go to
  • The Institute of Chartered Accountants of NL in the past have offered free Income Tax Clinics for Seniors and Low Income. Call 753-7566 for an appointment.
  • Seek the help of a professional tax filing service

Still have questions? Here is a list of Frequently Asked Questions and their answers.

How can I volunteer to help other students?

If you love taxes as much as we do, and wish to volunteer to help others, email the IO ( about the session dates you can help with.


  • If you arrived on or after January 1, 2019, you won't have to file a tax return until spring, 2020.
  • Information on the Canada Child Benefit (CCB): CCB
  • Students and Taxes:




Entering a T4:


Internationalization Office

230 Elizabeth Ave, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1B 3X9

Postal Address: P.O. Box 4200, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1C 5S7

Tel: (709) 864-8000