Gather documents and information

Welcome to the IO's tax return completion guide. Here you will find step-by-step instructions to complete your tax foms. If you have arrived in Canada before January 1st, 2019; then you (as an international student) will probably have to file an income tax return for 2018.

All students residing in the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador should file an income tax return. To do so students must gather the following documents:

T4 Slip:

You would receive this slip if you have been working. Your employer is required to send you the T4 Slip on or before the last day of February following the calender year to which the slips apply.

Note: If you worked with MUN and have not received your forms yet, contact Financial and Administrative Services:

T4A Slip:

This is only applicable to those who received a scholarship, fellowship, or grant from Memorial University. Your T4A will be located in your self-service account (employee services tab). Please ensure you have clicked the box to opt into receiving the "electronic" form. If you cannot find it you will have to visit the HR office on the 4th floor of the Arts and Administrative Building

T5 Slip:

T5 slip identifies the various types of investment income. If you have earned interest in your Canadian bank account, you should receive this t-slip by mail from your bank.

Offical tax receipts for donations and charity.

T2202A Statement:

You are eligible to download this slip from Memorial Self-Serive under Financial Information, if you have paid for tuition and textbooks.

Health Insurance Premiums:

This includes MUNSU, GSU, and Foreign Health Insurance fees. To get the accurate amount paid you need to visit Memorial Self-Service, Financial Information, View "Account Summary by Term". You may cut and paste the applicable semesters into a Word document. Assign a title "Memorial University 2018 health fees" if doing your 2018 tax year. Add your full name and social insurance number at the top of the page. Also use a highlighter to highlight the health fees in your summary to distinguish these fees from other fees in your self-service account summary.

Additional Documents that may be applicable:

  • Other Medical/Dental expenses that you paid.
  • Donations to registered charities and organizations.
  • Official tax receipts for donations and charity.
  • Safety Deposit Box Fee (if applicable)
  • Notice of Assessment from CRA (applicable to repeat filers only)
  • World Income Statement Form (For first time filers - the copy goes to the Sudbury office)
  • HST/GST application (for first time filers only - goes to the Sudbury office)
  • Please bring your Direct deposit information from your bank
  • Individual Tax Number (ITN) Application (If no SIN)

Important Notes:

  • In order to be able to file your taxes you need to have your Social Insurance Number (SIN) or an Individual Tax Number (ITN). If you do not have either of these, you need to apply for an Individual Tax Number.
  • If you have filed a tax return in Canada before and have a valid social insurance number, you can submit your returning using NETFILE at If this is your first time filing most filers will have to mail their tax return to the Tax Office in Sudbury. Others may have to send it to the office in Winnipeg. Follow the instructions on our website.
  • Your user name and password. Write it down somewhere on the tax documents that you keep.
  • Your bank information to set up "Direct Deposit": bank account number, branch number and institution number.
  • Your mailing address including the postal code. This address should be the address where you want to receive your Notice of Assessment in (May or June). This is a summary of your income tax return.
  • If you are planning to print your return during the tax session, make sure you have deposited money onto your student ID card to pay for the printing.


Internationalization Office

230 Elizabeth Ave, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1B 3X9

Postal Address: P.O. Box 4200, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1C 5S7

Tel: (709) 864-8000