Acceptance Process

Welcome to Memorial! We’ve compiled the information below to help you commence your program as a new graduate student. Click on each step below for further details.

  • If you have been conditionally or fully admitted, please use the online application to accept or decline our admission offer. In the online application, please click on your submitted application and then on “Decision History.” Respond to the decision by clicking the “Respond Now” button. Please ensure to accept or decline our offer within two weeks of receiving your admission letter by email (please note that some graduate programs may have a different deadline for response). If you need more time to make a decision, please let us know.

  • If you have been admitted to one of the programs below, a tuition deposit will be required.
    • Graduate Diploma in Business Administration: $500
    • Master of Accounting: $500
    • Master of Applied Science (Computer Engineering, Environmental Systems Engineering and Management, Oil and Gas Engineering, Energy Systems Engineering, Safety and Risk Engineering, Software Engineering): $2,000
    • Master of Artificial Intelligence: $2,000
    • Master of Business Administration: $500
    • Master of Business Administration (Social Enterprise and Entrepreneurship): $500
    • Master of Data Science: $950 (Canadian), $2,000 (International)
  • If you have been fully admitted to any of these programs, you can pay the deposit after accepting our offer of admission through the online application. If you have been conditionally admitted to any of these programs, you can pay the deposit through GlobalPay.
  • Please carefully review the information on graduate student fees, including information on payment plans, methods of fees payment, and payroll deductions (for funded research students).

  • All admitted graduate students are asked to review the regulations governing graduate students and programs at Memorial and to refer back to them throughout their graduate program.

  • Official documents (including official transcripts and confirmation of degree) required but not submitted for admission are normally required by the end of one’s first semester of study. As faculty and staff in the School of Graduate Studies are now working remotely and cannot receive physical mail or documents, this deadline will be extended until such time that receipt of mail or physical documents are possible. Please note that transcripts and confirmation of degree documents received by email directly from the issuing university are considered official, and are not further required by mail.
  • If you have been conditionally admitted to a graduate program at Memorial, please note that you will have to fulfil those conditions before completing some of the steps. If the conditions include prerequisite or qualifying year courses, please refer to these instructions on next steps.
  • If you receive full or conditional admission to a graduate program but are unable to join the program in time, you may wish to defer your admission to a later semester. You should make this request initially to your academic unit.
  • If you are a full-time student and have been admitted late or are registering late, please consult with the Graduate Students' Union on whether it will be possible to opt into the health and dental insurance plan for your first semester.

  • Please ensure the status noted in your Program of Study form is accurate. Please refer to the University regulations for definitions of full-time and part-time status. Remember, to change your status in the future, you will have to complete and submit a Change of Status form.

  • Take a virtual tour of our campuses to discover what makes Memorial special and unique. 



  • We encourage admitted international students to apply for a study permit as soon as possible.

  • As an international graduate student, upon receipt of the admission letter, you should immediately apply for a valid study permit and visitor’s visa. Please refer to the Study Permit page on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website or the Internationalization Office website for detailed instructions and advice. Be sure to use the Minimum Expense form in support of your application. To track the estimated processing time, please refer to the website.

  • What you need to apply for a study permit:
    • Proof of acceptance (i.e., admission letter) from Memorial University.
    • A valid passport that allows you to return to the issuing country.
    • Two passport sized photos that were taken recently with the name and date of birth of the person indicated on the back. This is required for you and any family members accompanying you.
    • Proof of sufficient funds that demonstrates you have enough funds to support yourself in Canada. This includes tuition, fees, living expenses, and the family members who come with you.

  • For your study permit application, you may also need the following documents (check your country’s Visa Office instructions for additional information):
    • Letter of explanation stating why you want to study in Canada and what your goals are. Please use professional, positive and appropriate language in the letter. Check out the tips to improve the letter of explanation.
    • Proof that you have made a deposit towards tuition for your first year of study.  The template cover letter for proof of funding can be found here.
    • Proof of medical examination.
    • Biometrics.
    • Police certificate.
    • Custodian declaration for students bringing minor children with them to Canada.

  • To make deposit towards tuition for your first year in support of your study permit application, please estimate your deposit amount using the Minimum Expense form and review payment options on the . You may collect a confirmation of payment receipt once your payment has been received from the .

    Tuition is charged on a per semester basis and there are three semesters in an academic year (Fall, Winter, and Spring). The total program fees charged in an academic year would then be 3x the per semester fee (e.g., for an international master’s student under payment plan A, this would be $1,611 x3; for an international doctoral student, this would be $1,499 x3). For full-time graduate diploma students who intend on completing their program in one year, they would be charged the total program fee within that year (e.g., for international graduate diploma students, this would be $710 x3). All fees are listed in Canadian dollars. Please refer to the form for more information.

  • If your study permit application is rejected and you decline/defer our offer by the appropriate deadline, fees you paid for the upcoming semester can be reversed.

  • If you are a legal resident of China, India, Morocco, Pakistan, the Philippines, Senegal or Vietnam, you can apply under the Student Direct Stream. If you are applying for a study permit under the Student Direct Stream, you are required to pay the tuition fees for your first year of study (three semesters) using the process described above to make a deposit towards tuition.

  • Valid study permits for students undertaking graduate programs will typically have a remark on them indicating that the student is permitted to work on and off campus provided they met the eligibility criteria outlined in section 186 of the Immigration, Refugee and Protection Regulations (IRPR). If this remark is written on the study permit, then you will be able to obtain a Social Insurance Number (SIN). For information on how to apply for a SIN, please review these instructions.

  • If the remark is not on your study permit, then you will not be able to obtain a SIN until you amend your study permit. This can impact your ability to receive your funding as well as begin working as a graduate assistant or in other employment. You will need a SIN to work in Canada. The process to amend your study permit is a simple but lengthy process – it can take up to 4 months.

  • At the port of entry when you enter Canada, check your study permit to see if a remark is printed permitting you to engage in employment on or off campus. If the border service officer misses writing this information in your study permit, please ask them to include it on your study permit.

  • If you require help at any time with your study permit application, please do not hesitate to contact Memorial University’s Internationalization Office. You can request a one-on-one consultation with an immigration advisor or attend a weekly information session on study permits, the post-graduation work permit program, and other immigration matters.


  • All graduate students are expected to review the Integrity and Ethics – Scholarly Essentials website and ensure they are aware of ethical conduct in scholarly activities. Graduate students should also familiarize themselves with the Responsibilities of Supervisors and Graduate Students and Intellectual Property Guidelines documents.

  • Graduate students in research programs are normally assigned faculty supervisors. All other graduate students are assigned advisors, who are often graduate officers or other faculty members in their academic units. The names of your advisors or supervisors can be found on the Program of Study form, which is emailed to you as part of your admission letter. Some supervisors/advisors will reach out to you shortly after you are admitted to your program, but please don’t hesitate to contact them directly to introduce yourself, for advice, or to set up an online meeting or call. Please visit this page to search for your supervisor/advisor contact information by last and first name.


  • The Minimum Expense form will outline the fees and estimated costs associated with your graduate program. Note that some programs have special fees in addition to graduate program fees. 

  • Please note that program fees are not waived at any time, including cases where graduate students are enrolled in research programs and offered funding.

  • The University Diary lists important dates and deadlines for Memorial graduate students for the current academic year. Please familiarize yourself with these dates are (e.g., when classes start, when graduate registration begins, deadline for fees payment) and check throughout the semester and your graduate program. 


On-Campus Residences for Graduate Students

  • Student Residences is anticipating being fully open for the Fall 2021 semester. On the St. John's Campus, Burton’s Pond Apartments are great for independent living while still offering students the benefits of living on-campus. For students with dependents, there are a number of designated family units available. Additional information regarding can be found on the Student Residences website.

    Just a 10-minute walk to class means getting home in record time. With utilities and WiFi included, you’ll have the benefits of on-campus living with the freedom of your own place. It’s a convenient, quiet and affordable place to live and study.

    Burton’s Pond Apartments will be undergoing renovations to better meet the housing needs of our students. Going forward, each student apartment will accommodate two students, each with a private bedroom, a shared kitchen, a shared office/study space, bathroom and living/dining room. All apartments are fully furnished. The complex includes a laundry room, mail boxes and access to the Internationalization Office.

    Apartments are allotted by date of housing application. Family accommodation is assigned according to a priority system.

    Single (in Burton’s Pond) - $2,408 per semester (heat and light included)
    Family (in Burton’s Pond) - $1,047 per month (heat and light included)

    Additional information regarding Burton’s Pond Apartments can be found on the Student Residences website.

  • Paton College consists of nine residence hall-style buildings arranged around a courtyard and adjacent to the campus dining hall, Gushue Hall. Two of these buildings have been designated for graduate and mature students and the majority of these students are offered single rooms. You’ll make the closest connections here and your floormates become like family. Accessible rooms are available. Meal plans are mandatory for students living in Paton College buildings. Paton College has two types of rooms.

    $1,947 CAD double occupancy room, per semester
    $2,202 CAD single occupancy room, per semester

    Additional information regarding Paton College can be found on the Student Residences website.

Off-campus housing

  • The majority of graduate students at Memorial University live off campus, thanks to the availability of low-cost accommodations near the university. Variety in housing, from individual rooms, apartments, and houses are available to graduate students.
  • You can search for off-campus housing through Kijiji, NLClassifieds, and Facebook Marketplace. Please note that Memorial University does not maintain these sites and is not responsible for any issues that may arise with off campus housing found obtained through these sites. It is important to always view the property prior to sending deposits or signing leases.

Signal Hill Accommodations

  • Memorial's Signal Hill Accommodations is located on historic Signal Hill in St. John’s, and about a 40-minute walk or an 8-minute drive from Memorial University’s St. John’s campus. Living at the Signal Hill Campus provides Memorial graduate students with a chance to be a part of a dynamic community that contributes to advancing Memorial’s Public Engagement Framework and offers a range of opportunities relating to public engagement.
  • Each room has its own personal bathroom facility and comes complete with bed, furniture, as well as a refrigerator. Modern communal kitchens and common areas are available that include all amenities as well as stoves and microwaves. Laundry facilities are also located on site with modern washing and drying machines that are conveniently operated using your university campus card.

  • Single (at Signal Hill) - $700 and up per month

International students

  • In addition to the above resources, international graduate students may wish to contact the International Student Advisor for advice on how to find an apartment, information on cost of living, and managing relationships with landlords and roommates. For more information, please refer to the Internationalization Office website.

Grenfell Campus


  • Register with the Internationalization Office, review the New International Students Guide, and attend one Information Session for New International Students. These information sessions are very important for new students and will provide details on foreign health insurance, immigration, accommodations, and other important matters. If you require immigration advice, you can request a one-on-one consultation with an immigration advisor or attend a weekly information session on study permits, the post-graduation work permit program, and other immigration matters. Graduate students at Grenfell Campus, Corner Brook, can contact for further information prior to the start of their graduate programs.

  • Understand your health insurance options. All international students are automatically charged foreign health insurance when they register. Depending on the length of your study permit (if it is 12 months or longer) you will be eligible to enroll in our provincial health plan offered called MCP or Medical Care Plan.
  • If you are receiving funding from a graduate assistantship, you will require a Social Insurance Number (SIN). For more information on social insurance numbers, please visit the Service Canada website. You can complete and submit the Social Insurance Number Application online. In addition to your application you will be required to submit a copy of your study permit that includes a condition authorizing you to work.
  • Memorial University offers English language supports for graduate students for whom English was not the language of instruction for their prior degrees. A number of non-credit ESL bridge courses are available to newly admitted students on the recommendation of the Head of their academic units. Such courses focus on practice in grammatical forms and vocabulary, paraphrasing and summarizing, and research and writing. For a list of courses available, please visit the Intensive Bridge Program website. If you wish to avail of one of these non-credit ESL courses, please email before the start of your first semester.

  • For graduate students in engineering or education, please note that admission to the MASc, MEng, or MEd programs do not qualify a graduate for registration as a professional engineer or a certified teacher in a public school. For more information about requirements for professional engineering licensure in Newfoundland and Labrador, please check the PEGNL website or contact PEGNL at For more information about teacher certification in Newfoundland and Labrador, please visit the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador website.

  • Students are required to be registered in Graduate Registration (Subject 9000 or MED 9900) for each semester of the three-semester academic year throughout the entire period of the program. This policy applies, whether they are taking courses or not, unless a leave of absence has been approved by the AVPA and Dean of Graduate Studies.
  • Students register through Memorial Self-Service. The courses required for your program are listed on the Program of Study form sent with your full admission letter. You may wish to discuss these courses with your supervisor (for research programs) or graduate officer (particularly those labeled 'To Be Determined' or electives).
  • Registration for all graduate students at Memorial for Fall 2022 opens on August 1, 2022, and closes on September 20, 2022. The deadline for fees payment for Fall 2022 is September 6, 2022. For more information, please review the registration procedures for graduate students. Please ensure you register by the appropriate deadline.
  • After you register, you may request an enrolment verification letter (if necessary) through Memorial Self-Service.

  • All students, including those starting their degree program online, should visit the Centre for Innovation in Teaching and Learning’s (CITL) start up guide and technical resources for essential information to start your program online (including using and accessing your courses in Brightspace - D2L). CITL staff are available to assist you through the Support Centre during select office hours, seven days a week.

  • As part of remote learning, you will need regular access to high speed internet access (e.g. DSL, Cable, Fibre) with an upload and download speed of at least 3Mbps. We would encourage you to complete the Browser Check to see if you support the minimum requirements for Brightspace and complete the Cisco Network Test to see if your computing environment supports the minimum requirements for Webex. For courses or meetings involving synchronous sessions, we would encourage the use of a headset with a microphone and a webcam (if possible).

  • All new graduate students starting in the Fall 2022 (and subsequent semesters) will be required to complete the Sexual Violence Awareness and Prevention (SVM 0204) non-credit course. You will automatically be registered for the course after you enroll in your graduate program. The course will be available in your list of courses in Brightspace. You must pass this course before you can register for the next semester.
  • A student registered in a graduate diploma, master's or doctoral program may not concurrently pursue studies leading to any other degree without the prior approval of the AVPA and Dean of Graduate Studies.
  • Withdrawal from a program can only be done by notifying the School of Graduate Studies in writing. The deadline date for each semester for fee liability is stated in the University Diary. Please note that dropping graduate courses does not imply program withdrawal.

  • At the time of first registration, each master's student must select a payment plan, for which they are eligible. The payment plans for graduate diploma and doctoral students are fixed. In addition to the program fees charged by payment plan, some graduate programs will charge a special fee.
    • Graduate students in the non-thesis route of some master’s programs (e.g., MEd, MSW, MScN) are charged under a Minimum Expense.
    • Full-time graduate students in Minimum Expense are initially charged fees under payment plan C.
    • In all other cases, full-time master’s students are initially charged program fees under payment plan A.
    • Part-time master’s students are initially charged program fees under payment plan B.
    • For transfer of program to master’s degrees, full-time students would be charged under payment plan A and part-time students under payment plan B.

  • The payment plan can only be changed in the first semester of study (please email if you wish to change your payment plan in your first semester of study). After the first semester, the payment plan will remain in effect for the duration of the student's program and cannot be changed. Please note that changing full-time / part-time status after one commences their program will not result in any adjustment in payment plans.

  • Fees at Memorial University are charged on a semester-by-semester basis and reflect the cost of the program and not, for example, the number of required courses, etc. Courses taken over and above those required for the program are charged at the undergraduate per-course rate (permission from the appropriate graduate officer is required to take a non-program course). Students are liable for any increase in fees during their program.

  • Please note that if a program takes longer to complete than the number of semester fees payable, a continuance fee is charged for each additional semester required (e.g., Payment Plan A chosen but eight semesters required to complete the program requires payment of six semester fees and two continuance fees). If a program takes less time to complete than the number of semester fees payable, the remaining semester fees must be paid on program completion, for example: 1) Payment Plan A chosen but program completed in four semesters; requires payment of the remaining two semester fees; 2) Doctoral program completed in ten semesters; requires payment of the remaining two semester fees.
  • Tuition and all related fees are due when a student registers. This includes the fees for the upcoming semester and any outstanding fees from previous semesters. To avoid a late payment penalty, please ensure that fees are paid by the fee payment deadline as listed in the University Diary. If you are eligible to opt out of the recreation fee, complete and submit the appropriate form.

  • Please visit the Cashier’s Office website for information fees payment. Graduate students who wish to have their tuition paid from their bi-weekly financial support can now request the service online through Memorial University Self-Service. In such cases, your semester program and ancillary fees will be allocated over the number of pay periods available within a given semester and will be deducted from your bi-weekly support. To sign up for payroll deductions through Self-Service, students may click on the “Employee Services” tab and then the “Graduate Student Payroll Deduction Request.”
  • Graduate student funding is paid biweekly over the course of the year (eg. 26 instalments). Graduate students receiving funding can choose to enroll in a biweekly payroll deduction to automatically deduct tuition and fees from their funding. Graduate students signing up for payroll deductions must do so every semester. Current students already on funding will be able to sign up for online payroll deductions 24 hours after they register. New students will be able to sign up for online payroll deductions at least two weeks prior to the first day of classes. All graduate students must complete their online submissions before the last day to register (two weeks after the start of classes). To avoid late fees, students should pay fees, or sign up for payroll deduction, by the deadline dates noted in the Academic Calendar. After the last day to register, you will not be able to sign up for payroll deductions until the following semester.
  • Graduate students have the option of having payments deposited directly to their bank account. To do this, a Canadian bank account must be set up, and a direct deposit form completed and returned to your department for processing.

  • Please note that program fees are not waived at any time, including cases where graduate students are enrolled in research programs and offered funding.
  • If eligible, opt out of health or dental insurance plans using opt-out forms available through the Graduate Students’ Union (GSU) by the appropriate deadline (refer to the Graduate Students' Union website for more information). All registered international graduate students are automatically enrolled in an emergency health insurance plan. However, you may meet eligibility requirements to opt out of the mandatory plan. Please see the Internationalization Office website for details.


  • Make changes to your personal information via Memorial Self-Service. If you are new to Memorial, the user ID in Memorial Self-Service is your 9-digit MUN number. Your initial PIN will be your birth year and day. For example, an individual born on the 16th day of any month in 1983 will have an initial PIN of 198316.

  • Visit the Information Technology Services website for details on how to set up your Student IT Toolbox, including your MUN Login credentials (your gateway to IT services at Memorial), @Memorial WiFi, (access to web services, including online learning and free software downloads), and MUNmail (your email account, which you must use to communicate with the University).

  • Memorial University provides a number of apps to improve your campus experience. Please visit Memorial’s Apps Store for more details and to download.
  • To get your Campus Card, please submit a request online through, under the "Student Services" tab. Cards requested online can be mailed to your home address.For more information please visit Ancillary Operations website.
  • Parking permits for graduate and Feild Hall residents students are allocated via Application for parking is open on for the month before the start of the new semester. This allocation will close at 12 pm the first day of classes for that same semester. Permits are only sold for the extent of the current semester. You should provide a ranking of preference for all lots available. The graduate and undergraduate students have a separation allocation, and within that permits are randomly allocated to those who apply. Students can log back onto the portal after it closes, where they will be notified if they have been allocated a permit, including the area and cost. This will include a date that permits must be picked up by (approximately two weeks). Vehicle registration is required to obtain the permit, and payment must be made by cash or debit. Permits that are not picked up will be re-allocated to individuals who have already applied to the current semesters allocation (there is no need to re-apply).
  • Evening and weekend permits are available at any time at the parking office, for a cost of $12.00 (plus tax) a semester. If you are not allocated a daytime parking permit via the above process, Pay-Per-Use Parking areas are also available using the Passport Canada smart phone app or pay and display. For more information regarding parking for students, please visit the Campus Enforcement and Patrol website.

  • Complete the Graduate Student Preparation Program (GSPP) offered through the Enhanced Development of the Graduate Experience (EDGE). GSPP is your go-to tool to help ease your transition into graduate school. This program will walk you through all of the essential skills and knowledge that you need to be successful in your graduate program. The program can be completed online and at your own pace.

  • Memorial University is proud to offer a broad range of professional skills development programs and services for graduate diploma, master's, and doctoral students. The Enhanced Development of the Graduate Experience (EDGE) offers online and on-campus workshops and resources for graduate students to promote academic readiness, career readiness, career advancement, and professional skills development beyond disciplinary work and activities.
  • All students, including those starting their degree program online, should visit the Centre for Innovation in Teaching and Learning (CITL) website for current students for a guide to starting your online program/courses, technical resources, examination information, and computing support offered through The Commons.

  • CITL has also created a Student Help site to assist students with remote learning. The site provides information on submitting assignments, presenting and participating in online classes, and accessing learning strategy resources. Live chat support is available through the CITL website.
  • Follow the School of Graduate Studies on Facebook page and Twitter account to stay up to date on news and events related to graduate students. Also, check your email regularly for our monthly newsletter to graduate students.
  • Memorial University’s Libraries continue to deliver services to users remotely. They have an extensive collection of online resources, such as databases, ebooks, e-journals, streaming film collections, and e-reserves, to support teaching, learning, and research. For details on library services that are currently available, please review the Frequently Asked Questions.

  • All books (physical and digital), as well as kits, clothing, and school supplies will be available for ordering through the Memorial University Bookstore website.

  • The Student Wellness and Counselling Centre provides services to students via telephone and virtual sessions, with the exception of some physician and nurse appointments. For full details and to book an appointment, please visit the Student Wellness and Counselling Centre website.

  • The Student Volunteer Bureau has a wealth of remote volunteer and professional development opportunities available. Please visit the Student Volunteer Bureau website to learn about how you can stay involved while staying home.

  • The Writing Centre offers a variety of online services, resources, and tutoring sessions for students. For more information, please visit the Writing Centre website.
  • The Glenn Roy Blundon Centre co-ordinates services for students with disabilities and those with short-term illnesses and injuries attending Memorial University St. John’s Campus. Services and accommodations include: assistance arranging academic accommodations for tests and exams (medical or psycho-educational documentation is required), access to assistive technology, orientation of new students, note-taking assistance, card access to wheelchair elevators and lifts on campus, in-servicing of faculty and staff regarding disability issues and accommodations, and a liaising network among students, faculty, staff, and community groups.

    In keeping with Memorial’s commitment to ensuring an environment of understanding, respect and inclusion, the Accommodations for Students with Disabilities Policy establishes principles, guidelines and responsibilities respecting access to University services, facilities and housing for students with disabilities in accordance with the Newfoundland and Labrador Human Rights Act, 2010.

    For further information on services available at the Blundon Centre, get in touch with the Centre by e-mail to, or through the Glenn Roy Blundon Centre website. For information about the services available at Grenfell Campus, by e-mail to, or through the Student Services Learning Centre website. For information about the services available at the Fisheries and Marine Institute Campus, contact the Department of Student Affairs through the Department of Student Affairs website.

  • Staff in the Indigenous Student Resource Centre provide support and services on: tutoring, writing sessions, cultural and social supports, academic supports and referrals, and Indigenous scholarship information and guidance. For more information, please contact the Indigenous Student Resource Centre.

  • Graduate students and families are strongly encouraged to obtain proper medical insurance coverage on an on-going basis. At a time of uncertainty, you want to ensure that you and your family are covered in case of a medical situation or emergency. For more information regarding health insurance coverage please visit the Resources for graduate students website under Health and Wellness. To view the specific health insurance components of MCP, Green Shield Canada Health Insurance, and Foreign Health Insurance, please view the Internationalization Office’s health insurance FAQ.

  • The Sexual Harassment Office serves all members of the university community on all campuses and institutes of Memorial. Visit their website to view the resources and supports available to you. 


  • We’re excited you’ll be joining Memorial University. Join other new graduate students to meet online each week, and learn everything you need to know before starting your journey at Memorial University. Faculty and staff from SGS, academic units, and the Internationalization Office will be present to answer any questions you might have as you prepare to commence your graduate program. These Q&A-style sessions are designed to get you acquainted with the procedures, opportunities and supports available to you as a graduate student at MUN.

  • The School of Graduate Studies (SGS) will be offering a virtual Graduate Orientation (called MUN 501) for newly admitted graduate students. This will be accessible through the Graduate Commons. For more information, please visit the Graduate Orientation website.
  • Our academic units hold individual departmental/program orientation sessions. We encourage you to contact the Graduate Officer of your academic unit for more details on these events.

  • The Internationalization Office is offering weekly information sessions for new international students on immigration updates, general Q&A, study permit applications, and the post-graduation work permit. More for information and to register, please visit the IO website.

  • If there’s anything we can do to help, please let us know by contacting We’ll get back to you right away.