After You Arrive

We are so very happy that you have arrived to Memorial University of NL (St. John's campus) and we cannot wait to meet you! Please take a few minutes and review the tips and suggestions of things to do over the next few days/weeks:

Settle in

  • After a long day of travelling, it is important to eat something to give you energy.
  • If you are living on campus, be sure to arrange with the Student Residences Office on where to pick-up your keys.
  • If you are living off-campus, ensure you have arrangements made with your landlord or with the temporary accommodations you have booked.
  • Email/contact your family and let them know that you have arrived safely at your final destination.  

For any questions or conerns, email us at

Register with the Internationalization Office (IO)

All new international students are required to register with the Internationalization Office. To register, you must complete the following process:

1, Complete the Online Check-in form. The form is available through

    • Click the "Students" tab at the top of the screen
    • Launch "Student Services" portal in the orange square to the right of the screen
    • Click the "Internationalization Office" tab and you will be directed to a new page
    • Scroll down and click "Proceed to Check-In."

If you encounter any technical issues, try the process above using Google Chrome or Firefox.

2. Check-out our International Student Guidebook online. For further information about the different topics on our checklist, have a look at our guidebook online.  

3. Attend One IO Information Session. Information Sessions are held during Orientation. If you arrive early or later than expected, you can attend alternate sessions. See below for a complete schedule and to register to our session.  

Internationalization Office Information Sessions

We look forward to continuing to serve you remotely through the spring semester and it is mandatory that you attend one of our initial information sessions based on your current residence and join us in our virtual welcome party.

By registering in one of the international student information session, you consent to having your email address added to the Internationalization Office ListServ. To withdraw this consent, please email:

- If you are currently outside of Canada, then you can register for May 6 session by clicking here and May 8 session by clicking here. Both sessions will take place from 11 a.m. to 12.30 p.m. NLT.

- If you are currently in Canada, then you can register for May 7 session by clicking here. This session will also take place at 11 a.m. to 12.30 p.m. NLT

- We invite you to attend our first ever online international welcome party which will be held on May 19 at 3 p.m. NLT. You can click here to register for the welcome party.

Orientation Information

Find out more about Undergraduate, Graduate, and Family Orientation Information. 

Pay Your Tuition Fees

  • Tuition fees are due January 6th, 2020. After January 6th, a late fee will be charged to your Memorial University financial account. For more information on important dates, find the University Diary for the 2019 -2020 Academic Year here
  • Fees can be paid using Memorial Self Service.
  • For other methods of payment, click here.
  • Fees can also be paid in person at the Cashiers Office, Arts Building room AA1023. For more information about fees payment contact the Cashiers Office at 709-864-8228. 

Collect Campus Card/Student ID

You can order your campus card online via your My MUN account and pick it up from The Bookstore, UC2006.  Your Campus Card is used in many areas on campus, including the Library, printing and photocopies, electronic door access, food purchases, Exam ID and many more. 

If you are applying to student residences, you are encouraged to apply for your campus card online.

    • Your campus card will give you access to your residence building as well as your room. 
    • To avoid the line-ups and make your check-in a smooth experience, please request your campus-card online. You can do this by:
      1. Logging into
      2. Click the "Students" tab at the top of the screen
      3. Select "Request a Card" under the "Student Services" form
    • For any issues, email

Write the Math Placement Test (MPT)

The Math Placement Test will be written January 6th, 2020. You register for the MPT as you would a regular course, using the course number "MATH 1MPT". You may check the course offerings posted by the Office of the Registrar to see the specific time and place for each section of MATH 1MPT. Note that MATH 1MPT is listed at the bottom of the list of math courses. Once you have registered, you can view the course information for MATH 1MPT on your Self-Service to see the date, time, and location of your Math Placement Test.

Update Your Address and Phone Number in Your Memorial Self-Service

Your new address & phone number is the contact information Memorial will use to communicate with you. To update your contact information:

    • Go to Memorial Self-Service 
    • Log-in using your student number and pin
    • Select Personal Information then Update Addresses and Phones
    • View your new contact information, select current
    • Make the necessary changes and click submit
    • Review & select exit from the top right menu to log out

Internationalization Office Family Program 

Our office provides support to international student families as they make the necessary adjustments to settle into their new home in St. John's. The Family Program Advisor can provide information on family health care, schools for children, daycares for children, family tax benefits, work/volunteer opportunities for spouses, ESL opportunities for spouses, local community supports and parenting resources. Learn more about our family program.

Learn About Working in Canada

  • After arriving and settling in, you may be interested in getting a part-time job during your study terms and/or a full-time job during the summer semester. MUN offers many opportunities for student employment on campus through programs such as MUCEP, ISWEP, SWASP and GradSWEP.
  • Connect with our career advisor - email us at if you have any questions about job search & employment.
  • Ensure you are legally able to work. To do so, consult the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website: For any questions regarding the study/work permit, email our office at

Connect with IO

Our office organizes many exciting and engaging programming throughout the year. Join our Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram pages for instant updates on what is going on!

Check out our weekly programming. 

Discussion Group - occurs every Wednesday from 4:00 - 5:00pm and it takes place in the IO Social Room (CA -2002). Discussion Group provides support and an opportunity for students to learn new things together. There is always interesting conversation & lots of laughter.

Coffee Club - occurs every Friday from 3:00 - 5:00pm and it takes place in the IO Social Room (CA-2002). Students casually drop in & have free coffee/tea and sweets and meet other students on campus. You will have the opportunity to learn about Newfoundland and hear fascinating stories from students from all over the world!

Connect with Memorial

Join a Student Group. Research shows that students involved with extra curricular activities on campus, usually have a positive study experience.

Memorial University Student Union (MUNSU)

Graduate Student Union (GSU)

Learn about immigrating to Newfoundland and Labrador

For information about immigrating please click here. If you have questions please email Kamrul Islam

For any inquiries or concerns, email us at


Internationalization Office

230 Elizabeth Ave, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1B 3X9

Postal Address: P.O. Box 4200, St. John's, NL, CANADA, A1C 5S7

Tel: (709) 864-8000